Removing glue goo?

Got a knife. Prior owner taped the edge to make it "safer" despite a perfectly good, wood-lined sheath.

I tried oil to soften the remnants of the adhesive but no go.

Suggestions of what might work without effecting the carbon steel blade?

Try Butter first before any thing else. No worries about poisoning any one.
Doesn't work on all adhesive but worth a try.

c353732aee8e175a0e9d17f7b54f3229.500

Depending on the age of the tape there is a very small chance, but possible none the less, that the glue might be protein based. If that is the case none of the effective solvents mentioned above will work, but hot water will. Follow with a light oiling of the blade to prevent rust.

Biokleen Citrus Soy Solvent. Compare the attached MSDS to that of Goo Gone :)

Attachments

• MSDS Citrus Soy Solvent.pdf
    101.7 KB · Views: 2
I've found the alcohol based hand cleaner like Purell is great for various types of goo you'll find.

Biokleen Citrus Soy Solvent...
FWIW, we use this to break down a broad spectrum of gums and construction adhesives across LEED and Build It Green projects. And I happen to use the product at home as well.

Tried 'em all except the bottled Goo Gone. There is less goo but nothing worked very well despite lots of rubbing.

I haven't used it on knives, but I've used Goo Gone for taking off stock decals' paste from motorcycle fairings and 4 year old carpet adhesive from a carpet runner on stairs.

The second my contractor kept complaining how nothing he used, including a heat gun, could get rid of that goo. I squirted Goo Gone on it, waited 5 minutes, and causally wiped all the goo off with a paper towel.

I've yet to have any complaints about Goo-Gone. If you're worried about food safety, just wipe the blade with some Windex after the Goo-Gone, to remove the oily residue.

Isopropyl alcohol sometimes works; but I've occasionally seen some types of label/tape adhesive just become severely dried and hardened, still stuck in place, by IPA. In those instances, it becomes that much more difficult to remove. Acetone might handle it better, in those cases.

David

Back