• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Removing sold prices

MaxFactor

Gold Member
This has been covered before but there is a discussion and poll currently on reddit's main knife sale subreddit, r/knife_swap, on the topic. Yes, it's a different site but many forum members buy/sell there as well. I have also noticed an influx of new members buying/selling using the grading system and terms found on r/knife_swap. BladeForums, The Cove, r/knife_swap, the various Facebook groups, and ebay are all part of the community whether we like it or not and have an influence on The Knife Exchange.

I'm most curious to hear from people that have been around for a while and have a lot of feedback. Anyone know where the practice of removing sold prices came from? Seems like it has always been a thing; but that's never a reason to keep doing something.

Frankly, unless you are a party to the transaction the closing price is none of your business. Knives are worth what the market will bear. Whatever the knife sold for a year ago, a month ago, or last week does not determine what it should sell for today.

I suspect the practice started when it was decided by buyers and sellers that keeping those prices in view could create disharmony with one’s spouse.

n2s

I find it pretty annoying when asking prices are removed, a true selling price could be negotiated between the buyer and seller but who is to say.
Every time this gets brought up about 90% of the sellers who reply say they always leave the price up but it seems like I see 90%+ removed from ads.

I remember when it started and recall talk about how sometimes buyers would ask for it to be removed for reselling purposes. Bit by bit sellers started it doing without prompting from buyers. I got asked once to remove a price and then did the same thing for awhile as I edited things sold instead of having to go back if someone later asked. I stopped after a bit (unless someone asks, which I get every so often) and agree it is a disservice to the community and other sellers to remove them. It's easy to catch prices on knives that sell all the time, but rarer or long-discontinued knives are harder to price as a seller and harder to know what to be willing to spend as a buyer.

I'd love to know what price is attached to each transaction. However. more often than not I've had knives for sale that ive ended up selling for less than asking and didnt update the post with the final price.

that being said, it DOES help as someone having something to sell, to have access to at least what has been asked for items that are being sold.

my $.02

It boils down to this:

It's not against the law of the land, or rules of Bladeforums to remove-- or leave posted-- prices of items in the Exchange.

Everyone has the liberty to make up their own mind about the issue-- which is awesome. :thumbsup:

Also keep in mind the listing price doesn't necessarily equate to the actual amount of loot that changed hands in any given deal....so caveat emptor, and all that stuff.

Now, back to the OP's purpose of starting this thread, to wit:

I personally leave the numbers up in the thread unless the buyer specifically asks me to pull it down.

I think it can be informative, to an extent.

A related story: A particular BF member took me to task over my choice to leave my price posted up-- not on anything he bought from me-- just in general. It really made him angry that I left my numbers up.

It struck me as someone who had something to hide about his own way of interacting here on BF for this one thing-- he kept repeating <like a dozen times, as if he's trying to make me change my mind>, "It's none of anyone's damn business what the stuff sells for on BF!"

Okay, I get the right to privacy angle, but why so mad because I chose to exercise my liberty to leave mine posted up?

It also rings as hypocritical in this particular case because, when this same dude was haggling over a price with another member <who is my friend also outside of BF> he told my friend, "Well, if Petey got $X for his last week, mine should be worth as least $Z." Afterward, my friend got got back to me with the details of this tet-a-tet and we had a good laugh over it knowing "Mr. Nobody's Damn Business" stance on hiding his own prices.

So although he prefers to keep his prices above the treeline, yet under the radar-- paradoxically he seems to be okay with eyeballing :oops: everyone else's numbers...purely for research purposes only, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Deleted prices drive me nuts. I leave all my prices up. Past listings are invaluable for getting a sense of what a fair price might be when buying or selling -- even with all of the variables involved (time, market shifts, discontinuation of a model, sales for less than asking, etc.).

I'm active on a watch forum where deleting sold prices is against the rules; I wish that were true here.

I also quite like r/Knife_Swap's grading system. I haven't adopted it here because it's not standardized, and I can give the same info in a detailed listing, but those grades are handy for encouraging folks to explain their knives' condition.

I started removing the price, due to there always being someone who didn't know what the word sold meant. They seemed to get it when there was no price there. I also don't think it to be overly useful and possibly problematic to the buyers future sale and others sales. You ask what you want and you pay what you want. If both parties agree you have a sale. What someone else paid doesn't matter, since you have no way of determining what the motivations of those buyers and sellers were.
But I am not a hard case on the subject and will gladly let anyone that asks know the price and any other info I can give them as to why that was the price.

Last edited:
Only two people know for sure what the final selling price is.

Nobody likes more rules.
Not like anybody reads the rules before posting sales anyway 🙄

Personally, I would love to see more moderation in the exchange even if there's no additional rule about leaving prices up. I am constantly reporting multiple sales in a day, cross-posting, "net to me" sales, etc. It seems obvious that the current exchange moderation is overworked and understaffed due to the rise in sales over the last few years.

Not like anybody reads the rules before posting sales anyway 🙄

Personally, I would love to see more moderation in the exchange even if there's no additional rule about leaving prices up. I am constantly reporting multiple sales in a day, cross-posting, "net to me" sales, etc. It seems obvious that the current exchange moderation is overworked and understaffed due to the rise in sales over the last few years.

Yup, just today there was a rookie member who had like 6 sales threads posted up within an hour of each other in the Folder Exchange...I dropped him a friendly PM < I even dropped in a :) to make my intent clear >, quoted Chapter & Verse of the Exchange Rules and tried to assure him everyone was new around here at one time or another. His threads got consolidated after that. Pretty sure a mod had to have stepped in and done it.

It would've been nice to get a "Thanks Bud!" from the rookie member returned via convo. but it hasn't happened yet>>> Not an expectation, just would've been welcomed.

Back