Removing Striders Tiger Stripe Coating?

I have an aluminum SMF on the way, and I want to remove the coating so I can apply a hand rubbed satin finish to it.

I have looked and googled, but cant find anything telling me just what the coating is. Could I use a solvent or do I just have to sand it?

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Cheers!
:cool:

If you're speaking of the tiger stripe finish on the ti side...that is done (typically) with a torch. You can either bead blast it off, tumble it off or hand sand it off. Bead blasting would be the fastest and easiest of the three.

If you do find a way to do it keep in mind that you will void the warrantee on the knife. If that is of no concern to you then go for it.

I meant the blade coating. I like the flamed look on the lock side. I just prefer satin finished or stonewashed blades. I am generally not a fan of coatings but I couldnt find this knife in anything other than digicamo or tiger stripe.

I will see how it looks when it gets here... maybe I will want to keep it...

Anyone know if I could send it in to strider and have this done? Part of the reason I went with a strider was the warranty. If it voids it, id rather live with the tiger stripe. I do like the looks of it. I always found it odd that they use a stainless steel and then coat it. If you are going to coat the blades, a good carbon steel seems much more appropriate, but that's a topic for another thread ;)

The blade is coated (i.e. blk dlc) and then the stripes are bead blasted in. Strider will remove this feature upon request. You just need to send it in and ask them to do it. This will also keep your warranty intact.

The coating is black oxide.

The original stripes were created by blasting stripes into the scale left by heat-treating the BG42 steel. (I think there was another steel too.)

Now they coat it with black oxide and blast off the stripes because there is no scale that forms like the original BG42 blades.

Edit: About removing the black oxide... I dunno. Maybe hit it with a Scotchbrite pad? (Manually, no machines)
I don't know how that will affect the warranty though.

The blade is coated (i.e. blk dlc) and then the stripes are bead blasted in. Strider will remove this feature upon request. You just need to send it in and ask them to do it. This will also keep your warranty intact.

they do not do this anymore afaik

Back