Removing the Wave

A-MAC

Gold Member
Has anyone else removed the wave from an Emerson? I know it's the Emerson signature and I know it would void the warranty but I just got a Mini 15 and it fits my hand great except for a the wave is in the way.

Are there any pointers out there for me if I decide to hack it up myself?

Or, does anyone out there offer a service like this?

It's easy. I did it for a friend on his mini Commander. Just used a Dremel. First the cut off wheel. Chop it off but leave some material to grind down. Then the drum sander to shave the last bit down. Looked factory after I was done.

The Wave is nice for exerting force in certain applications. Like the kind of jimping you get with Spyderco hole system. So consider that before fully removing it. Maybe remove it to an extent is what I'm saying. can always remove more but can't add material back.

It's easy. I did it for a friend on his mini Commander. Just used a Dremel. First the cut off wheel. Chop it off but leave some material to grind down. Then the drum sander to shave the last bit down. Looked factory after I was done.

No rust? That's mostly what I'm worried about.

The Wave is nice for exerting force in certain applications. Like the kind of jimping you get with Spyderco hole system. So consider that before fully removing it. Maybe remove it to an extent is what I'm saying. can always remove more but can't add material back.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying.

If I remove it I'll add jimping back to the spine.

No rust? That's mostly what I'm worried about.

I'll have to take a look next time I see it. It's been a while since I did it, but he keeps it clean. It's a rust resistant steel so as long as you're not throwing it in your fish tank overnight you should be fine ;)

I've removed a couple and regretted it.
I have many other non-waved knives to carry and the Emerson wave makes the knives that have them unique, without, not so much.
Make sure that it's not an impulsive decision, you can't put that wave feature back on, so give it some time and consideration.

I would rather keep it on for the same reason but state law prohibits any knife that has a device that allows it to be removed from the pocket in an open position.

Back