Removing thumb stud for sharpening on Civivi Hooligan

Wondering if anyone has tried to remove the thumb stud on the hooligan, or if that is even possible. I sharpen on Japanese whetstones, and thumb studs can mess up my stones if I'm not careful. It can also make it tricky to sharpen the heel of the blade. I really like the design of the hooligan, but I am worried that I won't be able to get the thumb stud out for sharpening. Has anyone had this issue? Can We Knives chime in, or maybe someone who has a Hooligan and can give a definitive answer? Thanks.

Hi, nutsforknives:

Please note that removing the thumbstud on your own will void your warranty for the knife.

The thumbstud on the Hooligan is a screw-in type assembly, and when assembled, there is a loctite type of compound applied to make sure they do not come loose easily. If you insist on removing it, it may be necessary to heat the thumbstud to at least 70 - 80 celsius (158 - 176 F) until it softens the compound and then carefully twist it using a cloth cover to prevent burning your finger. Depending on how it is heated, the thumbstud may have discoloration afterwards.

Thank you.

Back