Renegade

Just picked up a fiddleback forge renegade. I have not seen much information on them but grabbed it on a whim. I was hesitant because the last fiddleback I got was upsetting. This one is amazing sort of reminds me of a Puuko with a modern twist. Handles are awesome edge is nice and the grind is near perfect my hat is off to you Mr Roy

I'm crazy computer bad I'll try get some pics tomorrow but no promises✌️

I'm glad you like the Renegade. I think its an awesome knife.

Just picked up a fiddleback forge renegade. I have not seen much information on them but grabbed it on a whim. I was hesitant because the last fiddleback I got was upsetting. This one is amazing sort of reminds me of a Puuko with a modern twist. Handles are awesome edge is nice and the grind is near perfect my hat is off to you Mr Roy

I'm with Phillip. What's the story with the other knife?

Sorry for taking so long to respond been very busy lately. First I'd like to say I really enjoy Mr Roy's knives, and I will purchase more. I currently own the Renegade and the Camp Nessmuk. Love the renegade everything seems perfect. The camp nessmuk in my opinion is not. About 3/16ths of the edge is not sharpened, and the micarta in the handles are pitted? Not sure if this is the correct word, and the handles are faded. I'm not sure if this is normal for the handles. Im bummed because my father bought me this knife 3 weeks before he passed away so it has tremendous sentimental value to it and it's kind of a sore spot. Sorry about this and I'm not trying to offend the makers of anyone at Fiddleback Forge or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:
Micarta kind of dries out over time and you can see the fibers of the cotton cloth in the resin, but a quick coat of mineral oil (baby oil if you like lavender) or even better Howards Feed and Wax will restore them to new. About the edge, I expect Andy to pop up anytime now and offer a way to make it meet your expectations.

Sig_Op,

Sorry to hear about your father passing away.

We'd have to see pictures or get more information about the knife to help out, but here's some general comments.

Micarta will fade and dry out. It requires maintenance. Mineral Oil is what I use (you can get a bottle of it at a pharmacy or grocery store for a couple dollars).

Here is a before and after of applying mineral oil (and Flitzing the blade) to a Hunter with natural canvas micarta:

Totally normal and to be expected.

Also, the "pitting" is probably just a feature of the material. Again, we'd need more info or pictures. Is it a burlap? One of the benefits I enjoy of Shadetree Burlap is that it does have little pits and threads that give it grip. You can see what I mean in this closeup:

As far as the sharpness goes, Andy has a guarantee. If you're not happy, send it back to him. I'm sure he'd sharpen it up for you.

Sorry for taking so long to respond been very busy lately. First I'd like to say I really enjoy Mr Roy's knives, and I will purchase more. I currently own the Renegade and the Camp Nessmuk. Love the renegade everything seems perfect. The camp nessmuk in my opinion is not. About 3/16ths of the edge is not sharpened, and the micarta in the handles are pitted? Not sure if this is the correct word, and the handles are faded. I'm not sure if this is normal for the handles. Im bummed because my father bought me this knife 3 weeks before he passed away so it has tremendous sentimental value to it and it's kind of a sore spot. Sorry about this and I'm not trying to offend the makers of anyone at Fiddleback Forge or anyone else for that matter.

Man, send it in to us. I can certainly fix the blade having a flat in the edge. I'll check the micarta too. If it is burlap, sometimes it is quite porous. Thats why its so grippy. But if its fixable without changing the shape on your special knfie I'll do it. Ship it home. I'll take care of it and get it home to you in perfect condition.

Man, send it in to us. I can certainly fix the blade having a flat in the edge. I'll check the micarta too. If it is burlap, sometimes it is quite porous. Thats why its so grippy. But if its fixable without changing the shape on your special knfie I'll do it. Ship it home. I'll take care of it and get it home to you in perfect condition.[/QUOTE

That is very generous of you and I really appreciate the offer, however I am hesitant about sending this back across border for sentimental reasons, maybe if I work up the courage lol. I will try post pictures as well hopefully by Sunday. Thank you all for the comments.

Well, if you decide to ship it back, let us know. I'll pay shipping and send you a label.

Sig,

This thread is on my mind my friend. We strive to get those edges right. I can't advise you to ship your knife. It would be a risk. But I feel like it has to be addressed. So I want to make you another Camp Nessmuk. This way you have a user, and your special one. Pro bono. I do need to see some pics of the issues, so we can address it at our weekly meeting if you please. Hopefully this makes up for the issues on the first one.

This right here is why I love supporting Fiddleback Forge and Andy. No other knife maker would do this, some probably wouldn't even offer to fix it let alone make an entire new knife!

This customer service makes it hard for me to want to spend my money on any knife but a Fiddleback, Allen and Chris included!

Thank you for being awesome Andy! :thumbup:

Sig_Op,
I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, and honor the meaning of the gift he gave you. I hope you will take Andy up on his offer. He genuinely means it.

Andy,

This is why. Yup. Why I spend time every day bouncing between your forum thread and Allen's. Why Phillip is the Man! Why I'm coming to Blade and heading straight for your table. And why I considered it such a genuine honor and privilege to hang around that campfire with you and the gang.

What Odaon said. Exactly.

Thank you. Now I've got to go pick which Fiddleback I'm carrying today.

Tony

Sig,

This thread is on my mind my friend. We strive to get those edges right. I can't advise you to ship your knife. It would be a risk. But I feel like it has to be addressed. So I want to make you another Camp Nessmuk. This way you have a user, and your special one. Pro bono. I do need to see some pics of the issues, so we can address it at our weekly meeting if you please. Hopefully this makes up for the issues on the first one.

Now guys, I actually think most knifemakers would do this. There is something about the knife community that is a cut above. BUT, this is a situation that needs resolution. Its just a reaction to a situation.

Andy, it is an honest, genuine, and generous reaction to a situation. And speaks to why so many on here are so fiercely loyal to Fiddleback.

Most knives are unsharpened at the plunge line, unless the maker has cut a choil or removed the metal entirely. By necessity, the transition degrees cannot equal 0, therefore there will be an area in every knife made by hand immediately in front of the ricasso that is more obtuse than the rest of the edge. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but it did drive me nuts for a long time until I figured it out.

Back