repairing bent victorinox corkscrew?

howdy there bladeforums!

it seems victorinox corkscrews are prone to bending at the base, or perhaps it's that users are prone to abusing vic corkscrews & end up bending them, either way this damage seems common & results in the corkscrew not seating correctly which can sometimes be an issue...

so has anyone here had any luck with straightening out a bent corkscrew?
thanks!

33732254261_16b4294801.jpg

Not bent far enough to snag on anything I don't think, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just my $0.04 (corrected for inflation) worth.

Rich

I've straightened out a few bent like that. I locked a pair of needle-nosed Vise Grips onto the tang of the corkscrew in the open position then used a Crescent wrench to bend the corkscrew back to straight. If you try putting something under the tang and closing the corkscrew to bend it, you'll probably bend the backspring instead. That can be fixed too, but not without disassembly.

yep, as yablanowitz said. they are fairly soft, so you don't need a heap of torque to do it, but limit your bending to the corkscrew itself. I think it actually bends at the transition to the spiral, rather than the shank, so you can really focus your attention there. Go slow, and test often.

Thanks for the tips, I have an older Wenger I love that the corkscrew has gotten bent at some point but I was a bit worried about trying to bend it back.

Back