Recommendation? Repairing nylon seam on sheath?

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I've got a seam that's come unstitched on my nylon sheath and the fibers of the nylon of the two joined halves are coming unwoven.

So looks like to me re-sewing the seam is gonna be useless unless I can stop the fibers from coming out of the weave.

Anybody have any tips on how to stop the de-weaving of the fibers?

Superglue?

Heat?

Gorilla Tape?

This stuff? https://sugru.com/about

TIA!

I have a heavy bonded nylon thread that I use primarily for heavy-use leather sheaths. I've repaired a nylon sheath like what you're describing by fusing the edge with a lighter, putting a little liquid stitch along the seam, punching with leather seam punches, and then sewing it with the heavy bonded nylon thread beyond the limits of the original fraying. It's held up really well. I did it to a crappy Condor dump pouch as well and it's been through hell since and is still kicking.

Use something like Shoe Goo to stop the fray or get some backpack repair materials from an outdoor/hiking place like Mountain Equipment.

You can stop the fraying many different ways. Great via a lighter/match to melt and fuse works great in a pinch and is strong, but will often come at a small cost of melted material (shrinking). Super glue does work very well, and there are commercial liquid fusing agents you can get from craft stores too (as mentioned above).
Whichever way you go about it, good luck!

I have a heavy bonded nylon thread that I use primarily for heavy-use leather sheaths. I've repaired a nylon sheath like what you're describing by fusing the edge with a lighter, putting a little liquid stitch along the seam, punching with leather seam punches, and then sewing it with the heavy bonded nylon thread beyond the limits of the original fraying. It's held up really well. I did it to a crappy Condor dump pouch as well and it's been through hell since and is still kicking.

Yup, that edge will definitely need to be fused somehow, so you used flame. Got yer PM btw, thanks!

Use something like Shoe Goo to stop the fray or get some backpack repair materials from an outdoor/hiking place like Mountain Equipment.

Thanks fellas! :thumbsup:

here's what it should look like:
gXQefG8.jpg

here's the damage:
ypLn589.jpg

Flame will definitely melt the fibers together and stop the fraying but to close the seam I'm not sure how it will hold up. If you don't want to do any sewing there's a product called Stitch Witchery you can get at any craft or sewing store. It uses an iron to melt the tape and form a bond. They also sell fabric glues. I use these to help my daughter make doll clothes so she's not around the sewing machine yet.

Here's an overview of them. Honestly though, if you go to the store to get these pick up a spool of Coats and Clark Bonded Nylon thread and a multipack of needles, then loop some stitches in there after using these products, tie them off best you can and melt the ends. You can also use super glue to lock your knots in the thread. The mechanical bond of the thread will reinforce the glues and hold it together very well.

Back