Repeating a thread at General

it's a different subject altogether (GEC's out-of-the-box sharpness.) yes, GEC will probably rank dead-last in that category but i've been using my pioneer and big jack using the factory edge up to now. no inconvenience to me.

it's a different subject altogether (GEC's out-of-the-box sharpness.) yes, GEC will probably rank dead-last in that category but i've been using my pioneer and big jack using the factory edge up to now. no inconvenience to me.

That has not been my experience. My Queen knives were dead last in sharpness. All of my GEC's have been usably sharp out of the box.

That has not been my experience. My Queen knives were dead last in sharpness. All of my GEC's have been usably sharp out of the box.

I've definitely had the same experience with knives from Queen ("dead last") but I don't have any experience with Queen's recent production.

It's not really a change of subject. I am just trying to understand what you view as acceptable. Since the factory edge is what you've been using with no sharpening, it is the frame of reference. I would call the factory edge extremely "dull" on most of my GEC knives. You also seem to indicate that the factory edge isn't particularly sharp. It does vary a bit with different years and different runs but I needed to sharpen all of them before the edge was satisfactory to me. This is not really a complaint. I usually find it necessary to sharpen my new knives from other brands as well. I've also needed to strop or sharpen them after use to maintain a satisfactory edge. We must use our knives differently.

Last edited:
i really have no definite answer. suffice to say the first time i held a hair-popper was when i bought my first spyderco delica (2010.) before that, the sharpest i had was a buck 110. the buck seemed outlandishly sharp at the time (early 1990s.) i will also add that i went into this knife hobby rather late in life and before that, i somehow cut my way through various tasks using knives that would be dull by BF standards.

the drop point blade on the 23 pioneer i once used to size a 1-inch branch of guava to make an FMA fighting staff. that's very tough wood. the sap also permanently stained the blade but otherwise, the edge was wholly usable and undamaged. the large spey blade is thinner and sharper. i haven't used it. the 54 big jack i used to whittle smoked bamboo. smoked bamboo will chip or roll your best hair-popping knife, i promise. but the clipped blade worked. the thinner spear blade is much sharper but i haven't used it, except during one steak dinner. i'll take you back to my bigger problem which is having to use my working knife for eating. fine in a survival situation, but yucky to most people.

To me a knife that is not so sharp is something like a phillips screwdriver of the wrong size...it's still able to drive that screw but it's not the right tool.
There is no knife task that a well sharpened knife can't do, but the opposite is not always true; That's why when i have spare time and good will, i sharpen my pocket knife ;)

Back