Replace my Bk20 and Bk29 for a Busse Trough Raider.

Boss1911

Gold Member
I’m thinking about replacing my Bk20 Boondock Bowie and Bk29 Moses Bowie for a Busse Trough Raider. Don’t get me wrong they are sweet choppers but the fact that I can’t replace them, and I have only 1 of each limits their use and I like to use my blades. Looking for opinions, will I regret letting them go? Do any Beckerheads have experience with a Busse Chopper?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with the trough raider, bit I've had experience with several of their big choppers over the years and was not impressed with chopping performance in the thicker blades patterns.
Info has some interesting properties and the Busse HT is good stuff, but there's something to be said for edge geometry and balance.

Ymmv, however.

Reactions: KP
The trough raider doesn't appeal to me; but the BB13 is a great chopper.
That said, you will regret getting rid of the BK20. (I skipped the 29)

Looks pretty heavy?
I have a 1311 which is 3/16" and great but hard to find
If you thirst for a kuk have you looked at Kailash blades? Less expensive and good reviews and totally customizable.

Looks pretty heavy?
If you thirst for a kuk have you looked at Kailash blades? Less expensive and good reviews and totally customizable.

I also have the 1311..... Few can beat it.
I wonder if the OP snatched up SYKCO's newest short sword coming out?

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't really looking for a comparison. I'm sure the Boondock or the Moses can hold there own with anything in this size and they are probably better performers than the Busse. My go to choppers currently include a BK21 Reinhart , BK9, Parangatang with a handle mod and a couple BK1 Brutes with the edge reworked. The trough raider just caught my eye and I would like to see what all "INFI" fuss is about . And I was looking for input from people I trust and not from some Busse Fan boys that have a safe full of unused blades.

Last edited:
Not hard to find at all. It's right upstairs - in a box, with the 1111, desert dogfather, McCurdy kukri, Camillus CQB1, and a MMHW bullnoser.

"can't replace them" is a weird reason. You just indicated that you CAN replace it - with a Busse.
Use it/them, and as hard as you like.
If you destroy one, replace it with a Busse then. Why replace it because you can't replace it?

Not to discourage you from trying another brand, BTW.
Though if your calculation is that you want a Busse and consider your money to be tied up in another redundant knife, then that's another story.

IMO, sell one of the Brutes and get a Busse. ;)

I suggest a Killa Zilla 2, they are not loved much, so the price is usually good,
They are the result of a lot of testing and input. The geometry is good too. The overall blade profile is really nice, but it might need the edge thinned out.
its my favorite Busse infi chopper.
I believe Busse will thin it out if you are not happy with it, but Id beat the snot out it first lol.
1311 is a maniac tho, if you can find one, but its more machete like.

Why would you have to replace a BK-20 from using it? What are you doing with it that would destroy it? What could you do with it that would destroy it?

Just don't follow.

Want a trough raider, get one. Busse don’t make no junk. Beckers aren’t junk either and I have a few. The Busse won’t be as easy to replace as you think - their models come and go with the wind, so what you can easily get today you might not be able to tomorrow…

Sometimes the heart just wants what it wants, so what does yours want? BTW, I am a Busse fanboy, but I use mine.

Can you hear me now?

Good!

Busses are expensive, but they’re worth it IMO. The INFI hype is real.

Want a trough raider, get one. Busse don’t make no junk. Beckers aren’t junk either and I have a few. The Busse won’t be as easy to replace as you think - their models come and go with the wind, so what you can easily get today you might not be able to tomorrow…

Sometimes the heart just wants what it wants, so what does yours want? BTW, I am a Busse fanboy, but I use mine.

Can you hear me now?

Good!

Busses are expensive, but they’re worth it IMO. The INFI hype is real.

All Blackberrys should have come like that. Would have been an improvement.

As for the thread topic, as others have said, I would not buy something just because I can replace it. If your knife gets lost or breaks, there will be some other design that works. Does piss me off when makers discontinue popular blades. I loved my Becker Brute, one of my favorite blades of the time, when it first came out.

If you wanted to play with some infi, look for an Alpha Regulator

I never was able to snag a 20 at a price I wanted, but I've seen maybe half dozen regulators over the last two years or so.

The handles were small for me so I wrapped them.
Now I like it.

Last edited:
Why would you have to replace a BK-20 from using it? What are you doing with it that would destroy it? What could you do with it that would destroy it?

Just don't follow.

Let me clarify my original question/ thought. First, My Post was edited by a moderator who thought I was trying to ask values or a blade comparison between brands. This is not the case.
I have a fairly extensive Becker collection: BK1 2ea. BJ and Cam , BK2, BK3, BK3 DivTul, BK4, BK5 KA-Bar and Black Jack, BK6, BK7, BK77, BK9, BK11, BK11 SanMai, BK15, BK21, BK24, BK20, BK29, BK62, BK98. I know a lot of people missed out on the 20 and 29 and they just didn't win me over. Would it be better to pass them on to someone that desires them more than I do or Keep them for the sake of what is almost a Becker Full House.

Since you dont care for those two, and you have other “gaps” in your Becker collection…

Id fathom a guess that you are a collector for things you ‘like’ rather than a ‘set completionist.’ (Thats the way I ‘collect’…buy what I like and will use!)

Id say sell them and buy what you like!

Then Ill be watching for the asking price of the 20! LOL!

Since you dont care for those two, and you have other “gaps” in your Becker collection…

Id fathom a guess that you are a collector for things you ‘like’ rather than a ‘set completionist.’ (Thats the way I ‘collect’…buy what I like and will use!)

Id say sell them and buy what you like!

Then Ill be watching for the asking price of the 20! LOL!
I guess your right, I really only want to collect the ones I really like, Just so happens Ethan has made a bunch of them...
Thank you for the input...

I have owned both. Both great, but the Trough Raider has been, for me, nothing but a show piece… the edge geometry on the 20 I got out of the box wasn’t great and I felt like it wasn’t particularly better than just using a machete or something fun like a kukhri, so I sold it, and I regret letting it go now. Should’ve taken the time to make it my own, although with that said, I think I got Moses envy after I saw that model and I’d probably look for one of those first now as well…

Update, I passed the BK20 and BK29 on to some great Becker enthusiasts. The Trough Raider arrived and looks impressive. I haven't had time to do a thorough test but I ran a few blades through a pressure treated 2x4 last night. My first impression, my well used BK9 with a simi-convexed edge is equal to the TR. My BK21 is noticeable better and the Parangatang is still my go to blade when I need to get the job done. I finished the night off with a some tree trimming on a Hickory tree, the I only used the Trough Raider on this and I'm starting to like it... I will post some more photos and detailed testing soon.

Back