Replacement pocket clips.....

I'm gonna start this off by saying that I love Spyderco knives and I've bought and enjoyed them for the last six years. I currently have ten Spydercos in my collection.

I recently was getting out of my car and caught the clip of my Paramilitary 2 on my seat belt and it bent outward. When I got home I tried bending it with my bare hands and it just wouldn't get back to where it was. So I used my multi tool pliers and I over did it and the clip broke clean in half.

I emailed Spyderco this morning and I found out that to get a new clip I have to pay $5.95 plus shipping. On top of that I have to either send in a money order or send my credit card number tof them through email which honestly I really don't want to do either.

I just think it's ridiculous that I've spent hundreds of dollars on Spyderco knives and they can't even send me a pocket clip!

If I need a pocket clip for an Emerson I can just get on their website and add it to my cart. I mean they are expensive, but at least I don't have to jump through hoops to get one. And better yet if I need a Benchmade pocket clip all I have to do is email them and tell them what I need and they send it out to me free of charge!

I apologize for the rant, but I'm just a bit disappointed at the moment....

I emailed Spyderco this morning and I found out that to get a new clip I have to pay $5.95 plus shipping. On top of that I have to either send in a money order or send my credit card number tof them through email which honestly I really don't want to do either.

Call them and give them your credit card number. It is pretty easy, but you still have to pay for it-plus shipping.

As far as the rest of it, you have to decide whether to own Spyderco knives if you are unsatisfied with their clip replacement policy.

You are right about Benchmade. I emailed them to find out about paying for a new clip and they sent me 3 clips and screws no charge. They would not let me even pay for them.

You're better off. one time I hooked my Emerson clip on a truck door and it tore the whole door off the frame!

Last time I needed a clip from Spyderco they just added it in with a larger order gratis. Of course it wasn't really the clip I needed, it was just the screws.

Recently ordered a couple of clips and screws from Spyderco. Used CC over the phone no problem. Shipping was reasonable, $ 1.50.

I have had great customer service from Benchmade and Zero Tolerance when I asked about replacement or deep carry pocket clips. Both shipped them for free. Spyderco seems to have a less friendly interaction with customers needing parts, but it is a matter of perspective. They could factor the costs into the original price and convince customers that they care by sending replacement parts for "free."

I don't like the policy but I can't do anything about it so I just pay for the clips when I want them.

I think going to what BM has is a better idea. They simply allow you I think 2 or 4 clips a year or something like that. That way you cannot take advantage of them and if you are, they can just charge you.

I think some folks ruined it for us as they were took advantage of the free clips years ago from Spyderco. Only in like 2009 (or so) did Spyderco start charging for clips. Before that they were free too.

One pocket clip for one customer doesn't seem like a big expense, but Spyderco's a small company and a couple of pocket clips for every Spyderco customer could conceivably add up quickly, and that extra expense would have to be compensated for somewhere. I'll happily pay $6 + a couple bucks shipping for a pocket clip if that's a small part of what makes it possible for Spyderco to offer production models in S110V for $85-$175 depending on the model, or Maxamet for $150-$170, for example. I just wish Spyderco would sell them in the online store so I wouldn't have to call when I want to order new pocket clips. I hate using the telephone. :p

The lack of free clips always rubbed me the wrong way, I've never needed a new Spyderco clip but it just seems like a standard practice at the price point (BM ZT etc).

Amusingly, I requested new auto springs 3 times for Launch models from KAI, each time they sent me a random torsion bar. I also asked for a new thumb disk for a 0630 and they sent me a pivot bolt assembly and a set of clip screws and clip for whatever reason. I figure if I keep this up long enough I can acquire enough parts to build my own ZT knife!

I decided to bite the bullet and just buy the clip from Spyderco, but it's been three days and they haven't responded to my email.....the disappointment continues.......

I ordered a few from them a couple of months ago. I just called them and had them here in about three days.

I decided to bite the bullet and just buy the clip from Spyderco, but it's been three days and they haven't responded to my email.....the disappointment continues.......

3 days!? Psssshhhhh I emailed KAI on March 19th about getting a new torsion bar, screws, so forth, and have yet to hear back. I'm not really mad or anything quite yet, they did say that their email system is acting funky. I sent another one today just incase my first one got lost in transit. If I don't hear back by Thursday, I'm gonna call them.

I do agree Spyderco needs to fix their clip policy, though they've always been quick when I needed help. Benchmade is the bomb when it comes to customer service. In my opinion it's hard to beat them at what they do. They go above and beyond for their customers and that's just a good business model to have.

Edit: KAI responsed to my second email in one day so I'm betting the first one got lost. No complaints from me.

Last edited:
I have a few spare clips if you're interested. I often to travel up to Chicora, PA, Youngstown, OH and Kankakee, IL for work. Let me know on the clips, you don't have to pay for it, but shipping would help!

I have a few spare clips if you're interested. I often to travel up to Chicora, PA, Youngstown, OH and Kankakee, IL for work. Let me know on the clips, you don't have to pay for it, but shipping would help!

I live right near Youngstown I might have taken you up on that, but I already ordered one. Thanks anyway though!

You're not entitled to a free clip, when I carried Benchmade knives I thought that I was. I carry a 450 dollar CRK and if my clip got snagged I would have to buy one. Yes, Benchmade does give free clips (they do limit it now) and they have a great warranty but I don't care for most of their designs these days or the Axis lock so I don't buy them. I would also say that Benchmade charges you for that warranty in their initial price and that price seems to go up pretty consistently (not throwing shade; it just seems to be what's happening to me).

I do wish Spyderco would have a webstore where you could buy the clip you need similar to what CRK does now. :)

Why aren't the clips available through the Spyderco online store? Why do you have to call to get one? Many people don't want to read their card numbers over the phone and would feel better buying through a secure webpage or paying through paypal. I know I prefer it that way. Are there just too many clip variations? Also, why not offer five packs. I like black clips and prefer to switch silver clips to black. I would also buy a five pack of Foundry clips and a five pack of Dragonfly wire clips. Same goes for the black wire clip that I think comes on the Sage1. I put that one on my Chaparral. I would also buy a five pack of black Military clips to convert all my Militarys to black clips.

Why aren't the clips available through the Spyderco online store? Why do you have to call to get one? Many people don't want to read their card numbers over the phone and would feel better buying through a secure webpage or paying through paypal. I know I prefer it that way. Are there just too many clip variations? Also, why not offer five packs. I like black clips and prefer to switch silver clips to black. I would also buy a five pack of Foundry clips and a five pack of Dragonfly wire clips. Same goes for the black wire clip that I think comes on the Sage1. I put that one on my Chaparral. I would also buy a five pack of black Military clips to convert all my Militarys to black clips.

I'm with you here. Reading off my CC number of the phone doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I don't think we are entitled to free clips, but more diverse purchase options would be nice.

WOW ..., a user damaged a pocket clip, then took it upon themselves to attempt a repair and broke the part.

Then complains about the manufacturer on an open forum about it taking time and possibly small expense and moderate inconvenience to effect a solution (to self created problem).

If you had simply just called Spyderco and honestly told them what happened, I am sure your problem would have already been resolved.

Spyderco has always been more than fair with me (more so than most other manufacturers).

If you don't mind my asking, what is the total out of pocket expenses for your repair.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

WOW ..., a user damaged a pocket clip, then took it upon themselves to attempt a repair and broke the part.

Then complains about the manufacturer on an open forum about it taking time and possibly small expense and moderate inconvenience to effect a solution (to self created problem).

If you had simply just called Spyderco and honestly told them what happened, I am sure your problem would have already been resolved.

Spyderco has always been more than fair with me (more so than most other manufacturers).

If you don't mind my asking, what is the total out of pocket expenses for your repair.

You make this sound so much worse than it actually is.

...I recently was getting out of my car and caught the clip of my Paramilitary 2 on my seat belt and it bent outward. When I got home I tried bending it with my bare hands and it just wouldn't get back to where it was. So I used my multi tool pliers and I over did it and the clip broke clean in half.

I just think it's ridiculous that I've spent hundreds of dollars on Spyderco knives and they can't even send me a pocket clip!...

It's not a warranty action, why wouldn't you pay?

I've spent thousands of dollars on my car but have to pay for replacement parts, why not a knife? Why should you be entitled to free parts for a knife?

Sebenzas cost a lot more than PM2 but you've got to pay $15 for the Sebenza replacement clip, consider yourself lucky it is only $6.

Any time a company sends me a Freebie, I thank my god for my good fortune and don't expect it as an entitlement the next time. Only thing we are born entitled to is death.

You make this sound so much worse than it actually is.

I think the problem expressed in this thread is really a pretty big problem.

If a mfr has to build into costs user created damage coverage, we are all gonna burden higher costs :-( Benchmade, for example, sending free pocket-clips (my local dealer has a box of new pocket-clips for free exchange any time) is built into the cost of every knife they sell. I will say however, I do commend BM for their allowing customers to purchase replacement blades (somewhat rare in our world). Do I condemn other manufacturers for not also doing this, NO, but I do appreciate BM for this.

I think folks expecting a mfr to replace abused knives (or parts there of) at the drop of an email is unrealistic. A simple phone call during mfr's business hours has time and again proven a better way than what has transpired in this thread. The root of this really appears to be over less than $10 (cost of parts and shipping), and probably closer to $7.

Now if the issue had been that the user believed the pocket-clip to be too leak for the design application, and the resultant stress on the pocket-clip caused failure of a "defective" part I could understand spending time to seek alternative (warranty) solution.

In no way are any of my comments meant or inflame anyone (especially the OP), hopefully just a way of reflection related to expectation. Getting a "freebie" when you break something should come as a pleasant surprise, not an expectation. An interesting reply to a manufacturer offering free replacement "could" be, thank you but please go ahead and charge me the $7 - if for no other reason for your time in helping me to fix my screw-up :) Kinda like when you borrow your buddies truck to move some stuff with a 1/4 tank of gas and return it with a full tank and maybe an oil-change ;-)

Back