Replacement Washers for Seb 31

So I fucked up and went and polished my Seb 31 washers a bit too much and now there's a smidge of side to side blade play if I put a good bit of force into it. It doesn't actually affect the usability of the knife in any way but my inner perfectionist is coming out. I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get a set of replacement washers or do I have to send my knife back in for a spa and new washers from the factory.

Send it back and learn for the future! I'm not sure if this voids the warranty or not but hopefully it doesn't.

CRK won't send washers. Look at their website for how to send your knife in for service. It's very simple.

I don't see what warranty has to do with anything. Warranty means they will replace or fix something for free if it's defective. They're not giving anyone free replacement washers that someone sanded. You're paying for them.

Pro tip:

When you send your 31 in for replacement washers, ask them to fit a second set as a spare.

It saves a lot of self loathing if you ever pinch one in the future.

What was the reason that the washers were polished in the 1st place? Was it stiff action?

Yeah. It's pretty dumb, but you have to send it in for washers. Ask them for an extra set.

They say that the reason is that they're hand fitted but they can easily sell standard washers on their webstore with the caveat that they may not fit well. Enough people with CRK knives know how to accurately measure the thickness and reduce the size of the washers as needed.

Enough people with CRK knives know how to accurately measure the thickness and reduce the size of the washers as needed.
It would seem to OP is not one of them:)-so he would be best off sending it in.
I am presuming that the 31 has to be sent in like the 21, but I don't know that for a fact(not owning one). Some models don't need to be sent in-so the 1st step may be to contact CRK(unless the info is already on their website).

Last edited:
I sent in a service form so I'll prob send it in this week. I've done this to two CRK previously with no issues but this time I just lost track of my progress so by the time I finish, I ended up doing the rough polishing twice before the final stropping. Just a stupid mistake on my part :(
I am presuming that the 31 has to be sent in like the 21, but I don't know that for a fact(not owning one). Some models don't need to be sent in-so the 1st step may be to contact CRK(unless the info is already on their website).

They do require it be sent in, unfortunately. I had to send in my 31 to get extra washers.

It’s easier to send in, but I’d rather not be parted from my knife for weeks on end. I would’ve liked the option of just buying the washers and polishing them on my own.

They do require it be sent in, unfortunately. I had to send in my 31 to get extra washers.

It’s easier to send in, but I’d rather not be parted from my knife for weeks on end. I would’ve liked the option of just buying the washers and polishing them on my own.
Ya they quoted 4-8 weeks but I'd rather not part with my knife for that long. I'm also in Canada so there's always the off chance of my knife being seized at customs

Not to hijack this thread but would anyone know what size\thickness the washers are before they start to polish for a final fitting?
Just curious, :)

Not to hijack this thread but would anyone know what size\thickness the washers are before they start to polish for a final fitting?
Just curious, :)
This is a SUPER late reply but the thickness of the stock washers and the blade together should equal the thickness of the blade bushing. This way there's no slack in the pivot or its not too tight, perfect fitment. If the bushing is too long you can --technically-- reduce it a little and make it match the blade and washers. this can be done in reverse with the washers too. Gotta be really careful with the pivot essentially.

The problem you can run into is that the width of the stop pin and handle screws may be longer than the bushing/washer assembly after tinkering and throw the whole thing out of wack..causing pinching, blade play, out of wack action and lockup. It can get dangerous quickly for us or the company.
This is why CRK asks us to send in our folders for fitment. Much less of a pain for them than fixing up the whole thing ~1/800 times because someone didn't know how to deal with the tight tolerances.

Damn, I didn't even know I was reading a necro throwing likes and stuff..

🤦‍♂️
Lol, I've been there.

If someone took the time to take and post a quality photo or commentI still throw up likes on old threads.

This is a SUPER late reply but the thickness of the stock washers and the blade together should equal the thickness of the blade bushing. This way there's no slack in the pivot or its not too tight, perfect fitment. If the bushing is too long you can --technically-- reduce it a little and make it match the blade and washers. this can be done in reverse with the washers too. Gotta be really careful with the pivot essentially.

The problem you can run into is that the width of the stop pin and handle screws may be longer than the bushing/washer assembly after tinkering and throw the whole thing out of wack..causing pinching, blade play, out of wack action and lockup. It can get dangerous quickly for us or the company.
This is why CRK asks us to send in our folders for fitment. Much less of a pain for them than fixing up the whole thing ~1/800 times because someone didn't know how to deal with the tight tolerances.
Yes. I did this before knowing it was even a thought Internet wise.
I bought a large 21 Damascus spalted beech. A tiny bit of pivot play. The bushing was the odd ball out. Measured both washers and blades together and took the bushing down just a micro nanometer above that. The action is perfect and there’s no play. You need to keep in mind the grease in there too.

Yes. I did this before knowing it was even a thought Internet wise.
I bought a large 21 Damascus spalted beech. A tiny bit of pivot play. The bushing was the odd ball out. Measured both washers and blades together and took the bushing down just a micro nanometer above that. The action is perfect and there’s no play. You need to keep in mind the grease in there too.

Yes, I know it’s a necro thread. There’s lots of gems in the archives of this part of the forum.

As a data point in my own experience:
I have 2 Lg & 2 Sm 21’s.
I was already sending one knife to Bosie (have a habit of pinching washers) so I sent the lot for spare washers.

They didn’t “fit” just the washers, they fit new washers and new pivot bushings as a unit.
I mic’d everything when it came home (cheap Harbor Freight mic). I couldn’t find any real variation in washer thickness. There WAS slight variation in bushing thickness.

Yes, I know it’s a necro thread. There’s lots of gems in the archives of this part of the forum.

As a data point in my own experience:
I have 2 Lg & 2 Sm 21’s.
I was already sending one knife to Bosie (have a habit of pinching washers) so I sent the lot for spare washers.

They didn’t “fit” just the washers, they fit new washers and new pivot bushings as a unit.
I mic’d everything when it came home (cheap Harbor Freight mic). I couldn’t find any real variation in washer thickness. There WAS slight variation in bushing thickness.
Sorry to revive old thread, do you know or remember the washer thickness of your small 21s by any chance?

Back