Replacing your boot laces with 550 cord...

I by no means would say 550 is the optimal shoe string. However my first two months in Afghanistan had the boot laces on both of the boots pictured above frayed and snapped. Options for boot laces are a little limited so 550 was the logical answer. The 550 has held up with no fraying and I haven't had the knot come untied on me.

To tie it I put a simple over hand knot in the end of the lace on both ends. Then I tie your standard shoe lace bow without double knotting. After complete I continue to pull the loops until the knots in the end of the laces lock the knot and the loops can't get any bigger. Then I tuck the loops in the side of my boots.

I've recently started using 550 cord for laces and find the harder I make my knot, the longer they last without coming loose. The problem with that is that I wear size 14 EEE and I don't like to wear my footwear tight. My feet will hurt. I will try the gutting method which leaves me with how to have 550 on my person in case of an emergency? Bracelet? Yea, maybe.
Might try to weave some BVD's? :eek:

They do loosen quick. Like 2 or 3 times during the day. I'll try the wax trick sounds good

I've been doin this since 2003. Still have the same cord, on diffrent boots... nothing that I have used haven't come close to keepin boots tight?.

I've recently started using 550 cord for laces and find the harder I make my knot, the longer they last without coming loose. The problem with that is that I wear size 14 EEE and I don't like to wear my footwear tight. My feet will hurt. I will try the gutting method which leaves me with how to have 550 on my person in case of an emergency? Bracelet? Yea, maybe.
Might try to weave some BVD's? :eek:

Been using paracord laces since 83' and all you need to do is tie them in a square knot instead of a bow.

Been using paracord laces since 83' and all you need to do is tie them in a square knot instead of a bow.
Thanks brother. I guess I could see doing that if I was in a survival mission. You know, something long term or big time. But for everyday, my old arthritic hands and fingers would have fits with the square knots.
I really wanted the Paracord to work for me. I prolly have about 20 - 25 different colors as I make bracelets at work and sell them to benefit the American Heart Association. The Heart Walk to be specific. So I'm really into Paracord, but it just didn't work for me.
Now I did strip some like I said I would and it seems to be working. But, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having Paracord on You?
What if a person was to somehow, was, the Paracord? Make it sticky?

Thanks brother. I guess I could see doing that if I was in a survival mission. You know, something long term or big time. But for everyday, my old arthritic hands and fingers would have fits with the square knots.
I really wanted the Paracord to work for me. I prolly have about 20 - 25 different colors as I make bracelets at work and sell them to benefit the American Heart Association. The Heart Walk to be specific. So I'm really into Paracord, but it just didn't work for me.
Now I did strip some like I said I would and it seems to be working. But, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having Paracord on You?
What if a person was to somehow, was, the Paracord? Make it sticky?

Plan B) is to tie a regular bow and then tie the loops in a bow. That holds well too.

Danke, now that I stripped mine, and since I really want this to work, I guess I'll have to go back to plan A/B.
Thanks brother.

Google the better bow knot, give it a try. Very easy to tie and untie, just a double wrap in a standard shoelace knot. I use it to tie the heavy laces in my wading boots, never comes untied. There's another one called a surgeons shoelace knot that's very secure, but I don't think it's as easy to untie than the better bow.

LoggersKnot.jpg

Loggers knot could do it too.

I think that many of us that wear hiking type shoes/boots eventually grab para intuitively when laces get ratty. I am surprised to hear that it loosens up on some people.

Well since the threads breathing again and I wasn't here for the orginal run ...

A spare pair of quality boot laces are always in my pack ... I've tried 550 didn't work well hard to keep tied as others have stated ... even hard to thread through eyelets ...

I also carry bank line along with 550 for cordage it's much easier to tie it can be plenty strong I carry 300lbs ... it ties easily and holds great ... its cheaper and lighter and less bulk then 550 ... and in a pinch it worked far better then 550 ...

but I learned a spare set of a good quality boot laces are a must for my pack ... hard to walk out in rough terrian when you have blisters from a boot slipping around.

I've done this to every set of boots I've owned for over 30 years. I use shrink wrap on the ends. Costs nothing, better than any store bought laces. Took a pair of Danner's in for a rebuild and the laces looked better than the boots. That's after three tours OCONUS.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that paracord doesn't hold knots.

For those that have difficulty singing the end and then threading it thru the eyelets, try cutting it on an angle then shoot the flame to it. Afterwards, recut straight and singe it.

I've replaced laces on one pair of hiking/hunting boots with paracord.... just because it was handy. Maybe I tie them pretty tight, but I've never noticed an issue with them loosening. I did, melt the ends.

All of my boots immediately get their laces swapped out for 550 paracord. Never have looked back and no problems.

Back