Replica of the first Randall made knife by Bo Randall in 1937.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A little bit about the history of this knife, this is a replica the first knife Bo Randall made back in 1937 after discovering a hand made William Scagel knife being used to scrape the bottom of a boat rear Walloon Lake Michigan in 1936. He was unhappy in way he seen the knife being abused in such a way, and was so impressed with the workmanship of the handmade knife, he bought the knife form the man and brought it back to Florida with him and started making his own knives in 1937. And that is how Randall Made Knives of Orlando Florida came to be. The first photograph of this knife is on top the book Randall Knives A Reference book by Sheldon and Edna Wickersham which is a comprehensive book starting from the early beginning of Randall made knives. Randall Made Knives has long been Americas premier maker of fixed blade knives and probably always will be.

Anyhow this knife was made for a customer who a Randall knife collector who wants to present this knife with a copy of Sheldon's and Edna's book to his grandson upon his graduation. That won't be for a while, so the plan is to have Jim Cooper photograph this knife for a web page I plan on having made. The photo of the sheath with the "W" on the back is his grandson's first initial. I generally don't put names or initials on the knives or sheaths for various reasons but that's another story. Any suggestions about a webpage will be appreciated.

Thank You, and I hope you enjoy the photos.

IMG_2444.jpeg IMG_2445.jpeg IMG_2446.jpeg IMG_2455.jpeg IMG_2442.jpeg IMG_2441.jpeg

my heart always skips a beat when I see this knife. There is no sexier blade in my opinion and nobody else makes anything close.

my heart always skips a beat when I see this knife. There is no sexier blade in my opinion and nobody else makes anything close.

Thanks Mack, I just finished this knife up for a collector that wants to present it to his grand son along with a copy of Sheldon's book for his graduation. This is the most requested knife that people want me to make, and the most liked and commented on, on my Facebook page. I know that these Randall replicas all look like the same knife because I've gotten lucky so far and have been able to find the right size and shape Elk crowns to make all of these knives. But the Elk crowns are proving to be harder to come by so I'm going to start using sambar stag crowns. I actually have a couple of Amber stag crowns form Culpepper's that I will be using down the road. I think amber stag crowns with that pacer pattern is going to look super cool.

79094986_3263824940335641_96787998737737778_o.jpg

The more I look at that handle Mack with a little patina on it the more it looks like the original. I'm beginning to think maybe I should make a carbon steel version of it.
I keep picturing a large one. If you ever want to make a 9" carbon version, let me know.

Back