Reproduction USMC Raider Stiletto

Hello everyone,

Although I have been amassing the proper bayonets for my milsurp rifles with the occasional military knife I only have a passing knowledge of true collector knives.

As a retired Marine one knife I have been desperately wanting is a true USMC Raider Stiletto. I recently came across a reproduction version and on a whim purchased without really knowing what I was really getting.

When I brought it home I began doing a little research. I understand Camillus produced commemoratives at different times and most recently in the 1990s produced a version with pewter grip, blued blade, and gold etching and late non-blued blades without the USMC etching. What I could not discern from my research was a version that was blued with the USMC etch but without the gold inlay.

Based on lack of information I assume my version is not even a proper reproduction. Does anyone have any light they can shed on my knife?

Many thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Welcome to BladeForums and thank you for your service to our nation!

To post your photos, you can use a free hosting site such as photobucket.com. Upload your photos to photobucket. After your pictures are uploaded to photobucket, copy the IMG code and paste it into your post. If you need assistance, let someone know. We'll be glad to help.

Here's a link to a previous discussion on the USMC Raider Stiletto.

And here's one with info about the original, if you're interested: Production data from Camillus on The USMC Raider Stiletto

I haven't seen one like that. Phil Gibbs or Tom Williams (userid: CAMCO) will see this eventually and chime in. They both worked for Camillus for years.

Marine Captain Clifford H. Shuey, Designed this knife . Its patterned after The British Fairbain -S
The original issued knife was made by Camillus. Issued for the Pacific campaigns WWII. PG 302 Of ,
The Military Knife & Bayonet. By Homer M. Brett.
Does that help? Thanks for your service and welcome.

Thank you for the information. Through my searching I have learned about the history of the knife but what I am curious about is the background of this particular reproduction; if this is indeed what it is. Its build does not match anything I can find. Basically It appears to be a 1990s Camillus reproduction but it is not etched in gold. So I'm at a loss as to its origin.

I'm thinking its most likely an unofficial reproduction. I did not pay much and it looks nice so it will still find a place with my collection; until an authentic stiletto finds its way in to replace it.

Thank you,

Scott

Thank you for the information. Through my searching I have learned about the history of the knife but what I am curious about is the background of this particular reproduction; if this is indeed what it is. Its build does not match anything I can find. Basically It appears to be a 1990s Camillus reproduction but it is not etched in gold. So I'm at a loss as to its origin.

I'm thinking its most likely an unofficial reproduction. I did not pay much and it looks nice so it will still find a place with my collection; until an authentic stiletto finds its way in to replace it.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott, I can't tell from the pictures but it sounds like it might be a knock-off made in China?
From my book they didn't survive the jungles well so an original WWII made knife would be very Pricey!

IMHO, it's a Camillus knife. I understand that it doesn't fit the 1990 catalog description for the knife. Hopefully someone will come alone with the story. The original knives suffered from the zinc alloy handle, not so much from the jungle. This one looks like the pewter type to me.
In the mean time some stuff Tom sent me awhile back referring to the Raider stiletto;

file-3.jpg
file.jpg
file-1.jpg
file-2.jpg

Def a Camillus knife. Can't tell from the pic if that is gold etched or not. Doesn't look like it. Camillus made a run from blanks that were laying around forever but I think it was in the 2000's not the 1990's.

The gold etched knives can be found in the 1990 catalog. You can see it here near the bottom on page 19.
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Catalogs/1990-Catalogs.pdf

Also from the documents in post #8, you'll see an image of a Camillus S-card describing a run of plated knives from 1967. I'm not sure we have the full picture of the total Camillus production of the Raider Stiletto, original and re-issue.

I'm glad it may very well be a true Camillus. It is not gold etched, but rather white infill. The point is intact but the edges are not sharpened. I did order a reproduction M6 scabbard from IMI. Very well made.

Thank you all once again for your information.

Semper Fi,

Scott

Scott, I have all the comremitive knives along with real raiders stilettos. I do have a Camillus blade that has the silver blade with grey etching. I’m thinking yours might be a reject and didn’t get the gold plating at the final inspection.

Scott, I have all the comremitive knives along with real raiders stilettos. I do have a Camillus blade that has the silver blade with grey etching. I’m thinking yours might be a reject and didn’t get the gold plating at the final inspection.
Or it could have been a prototype off the assembly line. It looks pretty good!

Back