Resiprene-C (and Basics) Resource Thread

I agree. I think they’re more utilitarian because they’re better suited to work, which gives them more utility. Lighter and more ergonomic translates into less fatiguing and more comfortable to use. Add to that arguably the best-balanced hard-use steel (INFI) and the best (most comfortable/durable) available rubber-type grip material, and you have a uniquely superior tool.

Great idea, Will. Thanks. When I first began this journey, I was not attracted to the Res C Bussekin. Mainly because there were so many great looking Micarta and G10’s from which to choose.

Then I purchased a Battle Rat, which has become my backyard instrument of mass destruction. Then along came the 311; 511 (both in last Mystery GB, three years past); Basic 7; B8; Dogfather; and in the most recent GB - the AR 9.5.

Which my Best Bussekin Friend, who in a moment of near-divine creativity, has nicknamed - “The Annihilator.” The name fits - so it sticks. Be well all.

Last edited:
My bourbon addled brain seems to recall a thread by last visible canary (?) wherein he dug out some roots by pounding the heel of his Basic 9 with a hammer. But my meager attempts at searching find nothing by that member. This after spending a good 30 seconds on it!

IIRC he had three screen names over the years, and his real name might have been Seth (?) Haven't seen him here in years. He, like me, preferred ThINFI, to the point that he had ordered a CS skinny BOSS Jack. Then was forced to sell it when money got tight. Damn, I wish I could have bought that knife! Some regrets. He was also very concerned with handle ergos and had great insight on handle designs.

Miss that guy.

My bourbon addled brain seems to recall a thread by last visible canary (?) wherein he dug out some roots by pounding the heel of his Basic 9 with a hammer. But my meager attempts at searching find nothing by that member. This after spending a good 30 seconds on it!

IIRC he had three screen names over the years, and his real name might have been Seth (?) Haven't seen him here in years. He, like me, preferred ThINFI, to the point that he had ordered a CS skinny BOSS Jack. Then was forced to sell it when money got tight. Damn, I wish I could have bought that knife! Some regrets. He was also very concerned with handle ergos and had great insight on handle designs.

Miss that guy.

Progunner posted about doing something like that.

Last edited:
I don’t have a whole lot to add, other than ResC is awful! Probably the worst handle material ever. I’m a sucker for punishment though, so just send whatever ResC handled blades you have up here, for proper disposal of course. ;)

I did have a cutaway picture of a Battle Rat tang that I think Jerry posted in the Basic 11 announcement thread. Could be wrong on that though.

2986A61C-86E2-4699-951E-3C53897050A6.jpeg

And a size comparison pic with a few of my users. Top to bottom: 1311, B11, modified B9, B7, B5, Euro B4, new(ish) skinny B4. Never really cared for the proportions of the B3 myself. And passed on most of the new Basics, just seemed redundant for my uses, having multiple of the ones I have already.

4F53E4B4-57C7-452C-B890-BE6FFCA0F890.jpeg

You are right. Terrible. Terrible. But as you are convinced of it's value, then a B8LE ought to be in that pic.

It's an awful, awful knife.

A HOGB8 may root it's way into my Basic pen one day. I just know that if I picked up a B6 or B8 that they would have a date with the drill press and grinder in short order. The ricasso on them just looks way out of proportion to me. The edge starts almost 2" away from my index finger, and choking up I find is unwieldy with the distance between my fingers. I do have a choilless B10, and would have grabbed the 6 and 8 right away if they were offered with no choil, I know how much Jerry dislikes choilless knives though. With the small choil and shorter ricasso of the originals, I can comfortably put my thumb directly over the edge. I already 'fixed' one of my B11s exactly for that reason.

IMG_5380.JPG IMG_0160.JPG

Good stuff, Tyrade. Always did like the lines and proportions of that Euro B4.:thumbsup:

Yeah, they're great knives. I've actually come to prefer them to the B5, because of the balance. The B5 is so slightly more blade heavy, the B4 is more neutral which I prefer in a small knife. It's a VERY slight difference, but noticeable.

Last edited:
Beautiful job on that B11, man. Perfection.:thumbsup::cool:

ETA—And I agree that the talon width added in-line to the resiprene handle, which already has its own guard, makes choking up unwieldy. That said, I can’t remember once in the field when my hold seemed awkward because of that. Just my experience—not a defense of the design.

Last edited:
That is some beautiful mod work! Did you do that yourself? We have read that drilling INFI is a challenge. How was that done?

Thank you.

Yes, it was all done by me. Well, I did have a little help, @stjones was making sure my whiskey glass didn't run dry.

As for the drilling INFI part, I've described it as a "stone cold b***h" before. It's not really all that difficult to drill, it was more the repeated sharpening of a solid carbide bit that was the :poop: part. I'm sure with a better way to control pressure on the cutting edge, it wouldn't be that bad. Though I learned afterwards that a straight flute drill bit rather than a twist might have made it easier. I used what I had though. I kept it well lubricated with four letter words and cutting fluid, and after about 4 or 5 resharpenings I got through. The rest was easy. A bunch of small cuts, with it laying on packed snow to keep it cool, then onto the belt grinder to finish off, then reinstalled the handle.

image.jpg image.jpg

Just amazing—looks factory. Beautiful work!:cool::cool::cool:

That said, I can’t remember once in the field when my hold seemed awkward because of that. Just my experience—not a defense of the design.

Thank you, Will

I just saw your edit. It honestly didn't bother me that much until I squished my hand at work. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Would you mind elaborating on that—I mean what happened exactly? I think that’s pretty interesting. Thank you! :thumbsup:

I was moving some structural steel around, building a big base for some vessels in a refinery, and I put my hand where I shouldn't have (and know better) and ended up crushing my hand when the beam flipped and slid easier than I expected. No permanent damage, but was sore as hell for a couple months. It could have been worse though. I was out back using my B11 about three weeks after that, and choking up on it with the choil with my sore, stiff hand wasn't comfortable, even though the impact from chopping didn't hurt. Granted, I was gripping more with my other two fingers to chop. So, I looked at the 11, and thought, "Why the heck not?". I've never been apprehensive about modifying anything to better suit my needs, so 4-5 months later I went for it, and it turned out great.

Here's where I was reminded that steel is heavy and hard, and I'm soft and squishy.
IMG_1244.JPG

Back