Resiprene-C (and Basics) Resource Thread

Got it—okay, glad I asked. I read it that the B11 had something to do with squishing your hand at work, as in you were using it at the time it was squished. But sure, I can see with a sore hand how spreading your fingers/knuckles that way could be painful. Anyway, the result was awesome.:eek::thumbsup::D

Got it—okay, glad I asked. I read it that the B11 had something to do with squishing your hand at work, as in you were using it at the time it was squished. But sure, I can see with a sore hand how spreading your fingers/knuckles that way could be painful. Anyway, the result was awesome.:eek::thumbsup::D

I haven't had an opportunity to use a B11 at work yet, other than just playing with it when I'm in "Hurry up and wait" mode. But I do carry an Elmax Hack, Skelly Warden, Sar3, BAD, B4, B5 or SLUT Meaner in rotation. I did get to use my Crash Rats to do some building demolition one time. Speaking of which, did I happen to miss out on a ResC hawk when I wasn't on the forum? If I didn't, who's in for a ResC hatchet or hawk? I would be!

IMG_5352.JPG
Something like these? Preferably the bottom one?

Last edited:
Pork Chop with a regulator handle...Pork Scraps!

Pork%20Chop_zpsgc8bfsvh.jpg

Tyrade83 Tyrade83

I are good helper.
Thank you.

Yes, it was all done by me. Well, I did have a little help, stjones stjones was making sure my whiskey glass didn't run dry.

As for the drilling INFI part, I've described it as a "stone cold b***h" before. It's not really all that difficult to drill, it was more the repeated sharpening of a solid carbide bit that was the :poop: part. I'm sure with a better way to control pressure on the cutting edge, it wouldn't be that bad. Though I learned afterwards that a straight flute drill bit rather than a twist might have made it easier. I used what I had though. I kept it well lubricated with four letter words and cutting fluid, and after about 4 or 5 resharpenings I got through. The rest was easy. A bunch of small cuts, with it laying on packed snow to keep it cool, then onto the belt grinder to finish off, then reinstalled the handle.

View attachment 1272974 View attachment 1272975

Added new photos of the handle of the B9 Noss destroyed. Posted as an edit to the Original Post in this thread, along with the description of Resiprene-C from the Busse Combat website.

Again, all of your comments are welcome along with your own favorite Res-C and/or Basic links/anecdotes/pics.

Last edited:
Possibly, though Res-C may not be machinable with the equipment available at the shop. I believe Jerry experimented with horse stall mat and said it was too flimsy to machine on their equipment, although Res-C seems harder and more rigid. They might be able to mold Res-C slabs to shape and fasten them with std tube fasteners, though. That’s a good question—would love to know the answer.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Even if you could machine it, without the rigidity of something like micarta or G10, wouldn't you have a problem with is separating from the tang around the edges and gunk getting under the slabs? Tube fasteners aren't going to hold the edges down. You'd have to have some kind of durable, super-strong adhesive to keep it from separating around the edges, and with the flexibility of the material, I doubt you could even count on that to hold over the long term.

But maybe as an insert glued into a hollowed out micarta or G10 handle -- sort of like G-Rex with a lip all the way around. Also, you'd probably need fastener cut-outs in the insert so the tube fasteners would only attach to the rigid micarta or G10 base.

Last edited:
That’s a fair point. I will say that Resiprene-C appears to me to have better structural integrity than horse stall mat, and the full-tang handles with horse-stall-mat slabs I’ve owned (and seen in videos of cutting competitions) have held up very well and seem pretty durable. I would think that same kind of slab molded from Resiprene would be even stronger, and if fastened onto the tang with epoxy and flared-tube fasteners should have good integrity and durability.

A361D7CB-B872-40B3-ADE7-6047D59137D7.jpeg 4195B059-514E-44F8-BAD3-911D171C9877.jpeg

Maybe a good candidate for TGULB-style, proud-tang design? Sounds to me like a comfy combo.

Last edited:
So I have Fallkniven blades with Thermorun handles, which is also touted as pretty impervious to damage and DEET resistant.

Anybody knows how the Thermorun compares with the Repiprene-C?

I don’t know how the chemical properties differ. They are obviously similar in appearance and feel, with the Thermorun feeling a little harder/smoother and less “tactile” than Res-C, subjectively, to me. I have a couple of Fallkniven K2 Santoku blades which have performed very well for more than ten years in our kitchen, including hundreds of trips through the dishwasher. Good stuff, just not as “grippy” as Res-C to me, which is why I prefer Res-C (not to mention the BUSSE warranty).

Well my Fonzi Combat Axe has horse stall mat handles and it has held up fine.
Res-c could do even better

Dishwasher?!?! tsk, tsk, tsk

When I really want to torture test a knife, I put it in our kitchen knife block and tell my wife to use it as she likes and not worry about it. I’ve had a few surprises over the years—good and bad—but I’ve for sure discovered some impressive knives, steels and handle materials that way including Jerry’s Elmax steak knives, Fallkniven’s Laminated VG-10, Ban Tang’s S35VN, Big Chris’ CPM10V and a knife maker I cannot remember whose little chisel-ground CPM3V piece is remarkable. Oh, and believe it or not, a 52100 paring knife (but I can’t walk past that one if it’s sitting dirty on the counter without picking it up, washing it off and running it across a ceramic rod. It’s a 20-year-old MS blade from PJ Tomes, still going strong!)

I have been trying to figure out exactly what Res-C really is for years now. As best I can tell, it is part of a class of materials called thermoplastic elastomers. It might be supplied by this company:

http://www.resirene.com.mx/file/2019/04/RESIPRENE_ENG.pdf

The list of applications sounds spot-on—like a detailed description of Res-C. Even down to the “seals and gaskets” reference, which is consistent with the low incidence of water intrusion and tang rust beneath Res-C handles. Nice detective work, Guy!

Back