Resolute 5" - First knife I've finished in nearly 5 months!

Beautiful work, I love your attention to detail and design.

Thanks mate! The design is still evolving, kind of fun to look at the older knives with the current design for comparison. I'm going to take a photo at some point with all of the knives that led up to this, it's gratifying to see how much nicer of a knife I'm able to make now!

Yea-that knife is sweet

Thanks mate!

Crisp comes to mind If I had to describe this knife in one word.
Nice work.

Thanks very much! It took me quite a while before I was happy with my technique for the plunge lines. I think I did 13+ test blades before I got it ironed out...

the green and black is so awesome! The work you do is super clean, and I always look forward to your posts. Very nice kydex work too.

How are you etching your name on top of the cerakote?

You should do a video on your plunge line technique.. If you want to give that secret away.....

the green and black is so awesome! The work you do is super clean, and I always look forward to your posts. Very nice kydex work too.

How are you etching your name on top of the cerakote?

Thanks mate, I appreciate that! Clean is definitely what I'm going for so I'm glad it comes across. I don't want to make my knives ornate because they're user knives, but clean and sexy are the goals!

The logo is actually engraved using a small CNC engraver. Something I used to own, I ended up selling it but the guy I sold it to still lets me use it for the knives in exchange for help with the machine. I'd like to try laser engraving at some point as I think that would come out even better...

You should do a video on your plunge line technique.. If you want to give that secret away.....

No secrets on my end mate! I learnt a lot from people online, so I make a point of sharing everything I learn if I can!

I actually use a jig to do my grinding. Took me about 3 days to make, but it really only required a drill press and some patience, biggest issue for someone trying to replicate it would be the bearing block. I'm keeping that in the back of my head to see if I can come up with a simpler way of doing it. You can see it here: http://imgur.com/a/ffxVM

The technique for the plunge lines is nothing too revolutionary but I believe it's different from what a lot of makers do.

First thing is I use a file guide clamped to the blade to make sure the plunge lines are equal left to right. Then I make sure my platen is dead square in both directions to my work table.

Basically I run the belt exactly at the edge of the platen, using an old file to test when the alignment is right, then I knock the grit off the corners of the belt using the same file. I start with a 36 grit blaze belt, move up to an 80 grit blaze belt, then 120 grit blaze, then 220 grit a/o, then A20 trizact. Every belt is setup the same way, right at the edge of the platen.

Each pass I do actually starts in the middle of the blade, then I work back and touch the plunge, then head back toward the tip.

This seems to work well, I get plunge lines that are identical left to right. Each plunge line is mostly square (which helps it to look crisp) but has a gentle radius right at the corner to make sure that's not a stress riser.

Here is a photo of a blade with the file guide attached, and clamped in the jig:
IBaTy9Xl.jpg

And the large work table I made for my KMG:
zlbLyMvl.jpg

Here are some more results! (Don't mind the wobbly swedge, first one I had done...)
GpfK0ibl.jpg

I'll make sure to do a video of the process at some point too!

Thanks that actually does help. I might make that grinding jig. Maybe even guide the jig with a fixture key to help keep it held square the support. I have been doing all mine free hand with a file guide. I am having a problem getting left and right sides at the same angle (jig should fix that). And the geometry of the plunge on right and left seem different. Like one side is usually sharper than the other....

Thanks that actually does help. I might make that grinding jig. Maybe even guide the jig with a fixture key to help keep it held square the support. I have been doing all mine free hand with a file guide. I am having a problem getting left and right sides at the same angle (jig should fix that). And the geometry of the plunge on right and left seem different. Like one side is usually sharper than the other....

The jig does actually need to be free to move on the table, as the jig has to rotate relative to the platen when you're grinding the tip in order to keep the bevel looking right...

Aaron-I'm so inspired by this knife I am going to make one of my own. Hope you don't mind. I havn't made the grinding jig yet so it will be free hand. Probably won't cerakote it and will use black paper micarta. Thanks for the pics.

Aaron-I'm so inspired by this knife I am going to make one of my own. Hope you don't mind. I havn't made the grinding jig yet so it will be free hand. Probably won't cerakote it and will use black paper micarta. Thanks for the pics.

Sounds good mate. I have no issue with that provided you don't sell exact copies of my design.

-Aaron

Dude .. just seeing this thread. I really like that knife! The blacked out look and overall lines of the blade design is what's drawing my eye to it.

Critic .. I would have used black pins. The silver pins are causing a distracting pause (to me). The kawasaki green liners, I'm not a fan. That must have been a personal preference. Something more subtle would be more appealing (again, to me) .. like dark gray or dark maroon ..but definitely something more subdued.

Well done, sir. Please make more ... and available for purchase (if havent all ready).

Dude .. just seeing this thread. I really like that knife! The blacked out look and overall lines of the blade design is what's drawing my eye to it.

Critic .. I would have used black pins. The silver pins are causing a distracting pause (to me). The kawasaki green liners, I'm not a fan. That must have been a personal preference. Something more subtle would be more appealing (again, to me) .. like dark gray or dark maroon ..but definitely something more subdued.

Well done, sir. Please make more ... and available for purchase (if havent all ready).

Thanks mate!

The toxic green is something I really like personally, and also makes the knife a little harder to lose. I agree that it won't be for everyone. I'm doing one for a customer now that has black scales with ruby red liners, should look much more subdued I think!

I didn't think I would like the silver handle pins, but as soon as I finished polishing the handle I really liked them! The reason being that otherwise there would only be one line of silver on the knife at the edge of the blade itself. I have to work out how to Cerakote the pins or otherwise knock the shine off them though as my military customers definitely won't want shiny pins...

More definitely on the way! I'm booked up for a while though unfortunately, probably won't be able to sell any until mid next year as I'll be catching up on orders in the meantime...

-A

Aaron,
very nice looking Bush crafter knife you have there. It hard to tell from the pictures, but if you get any hot spots from the edges of the handle. you might try rounding them a little with some 400-600 grit paper.

Keep them coming!

Aaron,
very nice looking Bush crafter knife you have there. It hard to tell from the pictures, but if you get any hot spots from the edges of the handle. you might try rounding them a little with some 400-600 grit paper.

Keep them coming!

Thanks mate! The handle corners are all rounded a bit to make them comfortable while still retaining their angular look, seems to work well!

Just came across this... wow!! Super clean and definitely sexy!!
I am just taking the plunge into attempting to make a knife myself... this is definitely inspiring!

... and by another fellow Torontonian!!

Is your shop open to the public? I'd love to come by see how the magic happens and perhaps pick up a few pointers...

:)

Just came across this... wow!! Super clean and definitely sexy!!
I am just taking the plunge into attempting to make a knife myself... this is definitely inspiring!

... and by another fellow Torontonian!!

Is your shop open to the public? I'd love to come by see how the magic happens and perhaps pick up a few pointers...

:)

Thanks!

I wouldn't say my shop is open to the public, however I'd be happy to have you in the shop when I'm making some knives sometime in the new year!

Amazing work!! The knives are beautiful. Simple and elegant all in one.
Checked out your website too and watched the videos. Great job and astounding testing! I will be keeping my eye on when you open your books again this is definitely a knife that can be used without worry.
Also amazing to see a fellow Canadian and someone close by making great knives. I am no where near your skill level but seeing the video of all the hand tools makes me realize I don't need all the high end tools and would love to make a forge like yours but having difficulty locate a local supplier for fire bricks.
Again AMAZING work.

Tim

Amazing work!! The knives are beautiful. Simple and elegant all in one.
Checked out your website too and watched the videos. Great job and astounding testing! I will be keeping my eye on when you open your books again this is definitely a knife that can be used without worry.
Also amazing to see a fellow Canadian and someone close by making great knives. I am no where near your skill level but seeing the video of all the hand tools makes me realize I don't need all the high end tools and would love to make a forge like yours but having difficulty locate a local supplier for fire bricks.
Again AMAZING work.

Tim

Thanks Tim!
I had a friend pick up the firebricks for me from a furnace supply place. You should be able to find them somewhere by you as they're fairly commonly used for a variety of applications. Be warned that they'll probably make you buy a box of 10 and that will set you back about $40-50.

Best of luck!
-Aaron

Back