Respirene C with time and use

Quick question for long time Hogs and Busse users. I have a bunch of Busses with micarta handles, dating back to the BATAC, but only the Basic 8 with Respirine C. I've noticed that my Basic 8 handle has gotten a little more tacky (not quite sticky) with time and is showing a few small chips and divots.

As I think about adding one or two Alpha Dog 6's, I'm wondering what your long term experience has been with Respirine C, and also if it can be replaced fairly easily, if necessary.

Thanks.
John

Hey John! My first Bussekin was a tan Camp Tramp that I got about 10 years ago now. I have used the crap out of the knife on camping trips, fishing trips, bonfires, hikes and other adventures, and besides the odd stain or two...the handle is in tact 100%. They can also be replaced if they get seriously dinged or damaged. Worry not my friend and enjoy!

EDIT: I’ll post a pic of the Tramp later for reference :thumbsup:

EDIT: I’ll post a pic of the Tramp later for reference :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing that!

The AD6 will be my 5th Res-c gripped Busse, but all mine are young. I CAN say, though, that as far as toughness, the ResC cannot be beat(en). Look for a thread on here about a BB13CG getting sling out from under a John Deere riding mower. The ResC was still intact, 95%. There was one place where it had gotten a little cut or torn. IMO, it would ALMOST be the most appropriate grip for the NMSFNO, or anything else referencing “nuclear meltdown.” I think that, or a flamethrower, would be required to destroy it.

I have a pretty well worn dogfather and just like micarta a bit of dish soap and good scrub with the rough side of a sponge brings it back to new. usually the damage I get is from it bumping into other knives or if the res c hits wood while batoning.

Last edited:
I don’t baby this knife! She has been used but well maintained. Minimal scuffing on the Res-C and the tan coat is wearing like the bluing on my series 70 Colt :cool: Personally I love the wear. Knives with character are just as interesting as safe queens!

Attachments

• 1B8B14FF-38B9-46D3-8069-42A39D73FF47.jpeg
    1B8B14FF-38B9-46D3-8069-42A39D73FF47.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 108
  • F0D6D214-C110-4168-82C0-00C12A0AEEE7.jpeg
    F0D6D214-C110-4168-82C0-00C12A0AEEE7.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 99
Looking forward to seeing that!

The AD6 will be my 5th Res-c gripped Busse, but all mine are young. I CAN say, though, that as far as toughness, the ResC cannot be beat(en). Look for a thread on here about a BB13CG getting sling out from under a John Deere riding mower. The ResC was still intact, 95%. There was one place where it had gotten a little cut or torn. IMO, it would ALMOST be the most appropriate grip for the NMSFNO, or anything else referencing “nuclear meltdown.” I think that, or a flamethrower, would be required to destroy it.
This was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP LOL! I will never forget it as long as I live because this happened right after I came to the forums- I still can't believe how good that blade looked and how the ResC held up *better than the blade* but above all how Garth said "Send that bad boy to the shop! We got you!" ~ if that doesn't beat everything nothing does.

As for how the handle holds up, I can't imagine ever needing to replace that stuff, it's tough sht! I spent some hours reading up on the material itself, it's really tough stuff. I'll go so far as saying, I never had any intention of, or desire for a Busse with this stuff on it because I was always so impressed by all the pretty handles, custom shop stuff that I completely wrote it off. But I got caught up in the HOGB8 thing and the old hogs convinced me to give it a try~ glad I listened to those who actually know because it was good advice. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's not meant for putting under glass it's meant for beating the snot out of it-

I don’t baby this knife! She has been used but well maintained. Minimal scuffing on the Res-C and the tan coat is wearing like the bluing on my series 70 Colt :cool: Personally I love the wear. Knives with character are just as interesting as safe queens!
Except for the coating, that thing doesn’t even look used!

I've had this for a while now and it's held up very well considering how hard I am on my knives. Love this blade btw :D

NRRHKnS.jpg

I have a Howling Rat I’ve used for over a decade, throwing and cutting. The Res-C has some little tears from the throwing but it’s just hardly broken in now. Well worth it IMO.

I wonder if Busse has ever rehandled a res-c knife, or could if asked.

Back