Restore Marbles Gladstone

I recently acquired a beautiful marbles knife which I'd like to restore and use. This would be my first time doing something like this and I thought I might get some advice here.
https://imgur.com/a/UqPYJkY

The blade:
Along with removing most of the patina, it looks like someone went a put a V grind on this convex blade. I would like to restore the original grind. Would this be hard to correct? How should I go about doing it? I currently have a cheap 1000/3000 stone from amazon and that's about it.
Here's another pic of the grind:
https://imgur.com/a/cgCCSSc

The Handle:
The Handle must have dried up significantly since its pretty loose. I tried tightening the nut in the pommel and its as tight as it can be but there's still pretty significant play. Should I try and re-hydrate the handle somehow? What should I use?
A few of the spacers in the stacked handle have become unglued from each other. I was thinking of using some barge cement between them. If I'm applying some product to the handle to re-hydrate it, would it be best to apply the cement afterwards?
This pic of the handle shows the play in the spacers and the pommel:
https://imgur.com/a/041wvgT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Last edited:
We cannot see the pictures. Download Imgur. It’s free. Upload the photos. View the photos. Hold down the photo. Click “copy image url”. Go to BladeForums. Click the little picture of the mountain and sun. Paste. Repeat.

If you are wanting to get Patina off a blade I strongly recommend Mothers Mag Polish. You can find it in the automotive section of walmart. Probably not in ridiculously high demand right now. Works excellent for removing rust, patina, and giving the blade an A++ Shine without producing scratch marks. Use your hands not a buffing wheel.

Hi Anthony, I added the photos on imgur, used the photo icon to add the links, and all it produced was the BBCode image element but no image. While creating the thread, these img elements were links to the photos on imgur, but were just plain text once the post was created. I double checked the BBCode to make sure everything looked good, and it did. No idea why no photos were produced. Instead I added the links to the photos on imgur, as I was not able to reproduce them here.

Thanks! I'm not too concerned about the patina, I rather like them. I would like to get the convex grind back and fix the play in the handle

XPUkzOv.jpg
NPjF0VW.jpg
ursYF5f.jpg

Try soaking the handle in mink oil to rehydrate the leather.

As for the grind, if you intend to use it then why not just leave it as is and see how it performs.

Nice knife. I’d say if your restoring the leather (I know nothing about) use the above method to rehydrate the leather. Then Mothers Mag the Blade (going to take a while), guard (wont take long at all, and the pommel. Should be looking pretty good afterwards! If you are going to have it professionally sharpened I’d say message The Looking Edge. Or TLEsharp here on blade forums. Man does some very impressive work.

Post some pics of progress man, we would love to see it.

You could re-convex that edge with a mouse/thin closed cell foam/leather pad and lessening grits of sandpaper easily. There is a lot of convex sharpening info on BF. Do a search.--KV

Wow looks like you did exactly what I want to do! How did you go about treating the handle? What products did you use to clean and treat it? what glue?

Try soaking the handle in mink oil to rehydrate the leather.

I have some pure neatsfoot oil lying around, I was planning on using that.

Post some pics of progress man, we would love to see it.

Will do! hoping to get started soon enough.

You could re-convex that edge with a mouse/thin closed cell foam/leather pad and lessening grits of sandpaper easily. There is a lot of convex sharpening info on BF. Do a search.--KV

Thanks! I came to the right place.

After gluing & light sanding the leather handles always get waxed several times, never oiled as this would soften the leather too much in my opinion.
For gluing i use a no name but good quality tixotropic glue that has proven to work very well on leather.

Back