Restoring G10?

Some of my G10 Spydies are looking rather the worse for wear (well they are users) and I'm looking for hints for restoring them to their former glory. Cleaning is no problem but what is the best way to darken the G10 and give it some sheen. I've tried "Armor Al" and I think I've seen a suggestion about using "WD 40". Any other ideas. TIA

Clay

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 05-05-2000).]

I've had good success with the WD40, Clay.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian
AlleyCat.gif

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Clay, you know the state of all my knives (
wink.gif
) but I can vouch for WD40 also.

I guess it depends on how worn it is. I was shaping some G10 and when I was done grinding it I just rubbed it with my fingers to get it to darken again.

Blades

Thanks fellas, I'll give WD40 a go. The Armor Al didn't do much. What's best, just wipe a little on or use heaps and wipe off the excess after it has had time to soak in?

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Clay - When oil is used to darken the G-10, it works well, but for some reason blue jean material in time will "suck" it out.

For a more permanant "restoration" we use black leather dye. For short, restoration, WD-40 works just fine. Spray it on and wipe off the exxcess.

sal

Thanks Sal. I found some black leather dye at work so I'll give it a try. Only thing I don't like about that stuff is waiting until it wears off your fingers
eek.gif
, guess I should buy some rubber gloves
smile.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Red,

The stuff I have is a spirit based liquid used for dyeing natural (tanned) leather. Leather soaks it up like a sponge and I assume it will also soak into G10. I'm not sure how shoe polish would work. Anybody tried it?

Ferret, what's your excuse?
tongue.gif

------------------
Clay

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 05-10-2000).]

thanks Clay!
I assumed shoe-polish wouldn't work;
1. I have it immediately avaliable
2. I'm sure it would mess up my trousers.
Greetings
red

Back