1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Restricted knife on bhq

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by Hayden Pohl, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hayden Pohl

Hayden Pohl

Oct 27, 2019
    So on blade hq im looking to buy a benchmade 51 (balisong) which is restricted and I don’t meet any of the criteria to get past it without breaking the law. Any way to get around this and just purchase my knife without any problems?

2. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    It's technically not your problem if you don't meet the criteria. Federal law only criminalizes selling over state lines, not buying. Blade HQ's little "restricted" thing is actually worthless from a legal standpoint, and their description of federal law in their TOC actually contains provably false statements (their (a), (b), (c), and (d) exceptions do not exist in the real law). That said, Blade HQ is within their rights to not sell to someone if they don't want to, and you can't make them.

Legally, they are allowed to sell these allegedly restricted knives to you if you are having it delivered to an address in Utah. If you're not in Utah, best I can think of is either set up a PO box there or have a friend who lives their make the purchase, then have them mail it to you later. Or you could lie on the purchase criteria like apparently everyone else apparently does.

3. Knife_Collector_101

Knife_Collector_101

Sep 21, 2018
    I thought balisongs weren’t covered under the Switchblade Act. I know they’re banned from importation, but I thought you could sell them over state lines unlike autos. Most of the sites I see that adhere to the restrictions of selling autos only to residents of the state they’re located and military and law enforcement don’t do the same with balisongs.

4. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    For what it's worth, I live in California, where the sale and possession of switchblades is heavily regulated, and I've purchased several switchblades from Blade HQ with no issues whatsoever (shipped to my home address), and I'm not LEO or a military procuror etc.

You have nothing to lose by placing the order. Worst case scenario is that they refuse to send you the knife and refund your money.

And Glistam is correct about the law. He's always a reliable source on knife laws.