Retractable Tip 0.5 mm pencil

This is my favourite pencil.

I first had one in late eighties, early ninety's
It was expensive then, maybe ~ $ 15 ish, when general labour student factory work was $1.40 per hour.

It was super durable and reliable, I only ever had 5 of them and lost 3 in a tragic accident several years ago.
If I had known they would become unavailable, I probably would have kept more around as spares.

Big click extends the tip, small click advances the lead, big click retracts.

I really like how the retracted tip is less susceptible to cause damage or be damaged itself.

Sanford Extend
0.5mm
Made in Japan

I can't find it, or others like it.

Do you know of any sources ?

Photo with a Zebra pencil
C6Ueefj.jpg

423i5w3.jpg

Gdc1Ux5.jpg

Click to see the video, click the speaker to turn on the sound

Last edited:
This is my favourite pencil.

I first had one in late eighties, early ninety's
It was expensive then, maybe ~ $ 15 ish, when general labour student factory work was $1.40 per hour.

It was super durable and reliable, I only ever had 5 of them and lost 3 in a tragic accident several years ago.
If I had known they would become unavailable, I probably would have kept more around as spares.

Big click extends the tip, small click advances the lead, big click retracts.

I really like how the retracted tip is less susceptible to cause damage or be damaged itself.

Sanford Extend
0.5mm
Made in Japan

I can't find it, or others like it.

Do you know of any sources ?

Photo with a Zebra pencil
C6Ueefj.jpg

423i5w3.jpg

k

Click to see the video, click the speaker to turn on the sound

I think the closest in current production is the Alvin DRAF/TEC RETRAC DR05. It might even be the same design, but it shares the same style of retractable point. I have the same pencil in 0.3mm.

I'd post a link to a vendor, but we can't link to non-supporting vendors on here.

21621U689sL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Thanks very much.

That sure looks like it with a roto style tip.

You're welcome. The only difference I see is how the end of the pocket clip is bent. It's bent in an S on the vintage Sanford, but bent under into a D-shaped loop on the current Alvin. I had a Sanford like yours in 0.3mm when I was in college and/or grad school. I might still have it . . . somewhere.

Mechanical pencils and lead holders are cool!

You're welcome. The only difference I see is how the end of the pocket clip is bent. It's bent in an S on the vintage Sanford, but bent under into a D-shaped loop on the current Alvin. I had a Sanford like yours in 0.3mm when I was in college and/or grad school. I might still have it . . . somewhere.

Mechanical pencils and lead holders are cool!

I think it originally had some plastic tip that went missing like this web photo.

Rare-Vintage-Sanford-EXTEND-Mechanical-Pencil-05mm-Retractable.jpg

I remember doing some bending sanding and wire brushing to make it usable again.

I think it originally had some plastic tip that went missing like this web photo.

Rare-Vintage-Sanford-EXTEND-Mechanical-Pencil-05mm-Retractable.jpg

I remember doing some bending sanding and wire brushing to make it usable again.

Ah! Even more similar now!

I'm going to call it the same pencil. It's interesting how over several decades, a few designs appear for multiple brands. That leads me to believe that the factories in Japan making the pencils do production runs with specific brand billboarding on them. Some designs have fallen by the wayside, but some endure.

My current favorite is the Pentel GraphGear 500 in 0.9 mm. It has a nice, heavy, tip made of metal. Comes in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9 mm, and Found it at Home Depot when they got into office supplies for about 6 months. Bought the last 2 they had on close out. It is more of a pencil you keep on your desk rather than pocket carry, due to the fine point. Random review I found:

Back