Review of Star-Tac please?

What do you guys think of the Star-Tac?

I'm in the market for another Defensive/Fighting Blade or two so thats it main carry purpose for me.

I should note I have no real experince with Chris Reeve knives which I know thats what it basiclly is, however I'm only aware of their awsome reputation.

I wouldn't consider the Star-Tac a fighting blade but rather a general purpose work horse. Great knife -highly recommend

Many reviews state that the Umnumzaan loosens up after a few hundred deployments. In addition, many people open the blade improperly because they are used to the Sebenza. Instead of a sweeping motion, it requires a forward push of the stud parallel to the handle.
I think it is a very fine knife. One drawback, it is very hard to open one handed.

Many reviews state that the Umnumzaan loosens up after a few hundred deployments. In addition, many people open the blade improperly because they are used to the Sebenza. Instead of a sweeping motion, it requires a forward push of the stud parallel to the handle.

I am getting ready to order one ( hate not handling one first) IF opened as you describe, I assume you find the opening to be just fine??
Opening (ease) is a deal maker/breaker for me when buying a knife.

Opening is a piece of cake.. I bought mine used and it was gritty.. I took it apart,cleaned it, lubed it,
and it is silky smooth.

It has been in my pocket for the past 60 days.. This knife will save you money.. Your not going to want to buy anymore!!

Nothing really compares IMHO :)

I like the large sebenza a ton, but the Zaan is my favorite !!

My StarTac 'zaan was bought new 9/2010 - and it is just as tight at lockup - smooth in opening/closing - as the day it arrived. I know I had to hit 1,000 open/close actions - and I have used it a lot - as a pocket knife, not as a camp axe, pry bar, or screwdriver. It is the finest knife I own - far superior to the new (S35VN) small Sebbie I added last summer.

Stainz

They're great knives but as previously stated are not designed for self defense. You might be happier with a knife specially designed for tactical fighting. Perhaps an Emerson CQB or Spyderco Civilian.

Agree with all these posts. The Civilian is truly unique, while somewhat impractical for daily use. I really like mine. Very trick but it was designed for one purpose, defense. Truly shines in that role, though!

As an all-around defensive knife that you can use everyday too, an Emerson is a great choice. I have a CQC8 and it's very capable, and the wave is fantastic. Don't worry about F&F, you'll be fine.

If knives are your thing like most of us, I truly recommend getting both of them.

A fellow on the forum here makes a great kydex neck sheath for the Civilian, too. Makes for one cool piece of equipment when together.

I think it is a very fine knife. One drawback, it is very hard to open one handed.

When I first got mine Monday my heart sunk. Couldn't get it to open, stiff, and just not what I expected. By Tues night the blades FLIES open and locks with authority. Easiest opening knife I've ever had. I've had a big change of heart about it in the last two days. Very impressive

Back