Recommendation? Revolvers

Don't know what it is, but I just freaking love the look of those monster snubbies.
Ok! Do keep in mine that they burn a ton of powder for not that much more increase in velocity .. look up the charts on muzzle velocity! If it for down & dirty self defense .. Fine.. for more than than that, go 3” or more.. Those .357 mag, 2” burn a lot of powder with a LOUD report!

Grandpa had an extensive gun collection but also a bunch of grandsons and nephews. I was first born though so I got first dibs. His monster 9” .44 mag Super Redhawk was my choice and is a riot to shoot. Pulling that out at the range always turns a few heads and reminds me of Jack Nicholson’s joker pulling his revolver out of his pants and shooting down The Batman. As fun as it is to shoot, it’s sometimes a bit cumbersome. That led me to the GP100 with a 3” barrel. Still .44, just special. I don’t own a .357 but if I was in the market, I’d take an extra look at the Match Champion.
ZsCvja2.jpg

I have a couple Taurus wheel guns. They aren't bad, but certainly not S&W. My oldest is an UltraLite Titanium 85 in 38Sp. With aluminum frame, and Ti cylinder and barrel shroud, it's pretty light and easy to carry. But has also been a great shooter. As my only wheelgun for some time, it got shot way more than it was designed for, but still going strong. The other Taurus is the silly Judge Public defender. It's only value is to get a smile out of a new shooter at the range. Not good for much else.

If it is really just going to be a "get dirty" gun for the occasional ride, I'd also consider the Ruger LCR's. My LCR 357 kind of sucks to shoot much 357 in one sitting, but swallows 38's with no problem. I guess my big sell was that they were both Ruger, and pretty dang cheap. Picked mine up on sale from a big box (Sportsman's I think), with a Crimson Trace grip, for just over four bills if memory serves.

Ok! Do keep in mine that they burn a ton of powder for not that much more increase in velocity .. look up the charts on muzzle velocity! If it for down & dirty self defense .. Fine.. for more than than that, go 3” or more.. Those .357 mag, 2” burn a lot of powder with a LOUD report!

The N frame model 327 is exceptionally accurate. 8 .357’s is nothing laugh at. It’s a different breed than a typical j frame snub.

The N frame model 327 is exceptionally accurate. 8 .357’s is nothing laugh at. It’s a different breed than a typical j frame snub.
I’m not questioning the accuracy of the revolver... Most shooters can have issues with the recoil with J frame .357 snubs. that is all..

bflying bflying Thanks for the compliment. I edc two j frame centennial revolvers. An airweight 442 and an airlight 340pd. It’s easier to carry 2jframes than the one n frame. I get 10 shots instead of 8. Plus total redundancy. As much as I like the 327 it’s not terribly practical for me.

The 340pd is very light and a .357, I can shoot it fine with magnum loads, but (I agree with R Rhinoknives1 ) it is kind of pointless. I carry .38 special+P loads in it.

I know several guys who shoot .454 Casulls and .500 S&W revolvers that won’t shoot the light j frames with magnums. It’s truly a handful

The 340pd is sometimes back up to a larger .357 so I appreciate that it can use the same .357’s for a reload if needed.

The 327 Nframe is an absolute pussy cat in comparison to the smaller snubs. I never shoot .38 specials from it. I don’t want any issues with cleaning the crud ring in its titanium cylinder.

Last edited:
I have owned my model 60 (1-7/8” barrel 38 special) for 35 years, and I have never liked it. The gun was purchased new for concealed carry, and it works for that. But, it has always been unpleasant to shoot. The double action trigger pull is horrible (long and about 18 lbs from the factory). I have had gun smiths take it down to about 13 lbs, but then it becomes finicky about ammo and can fail to fire. The stock grip is small, short and tends to roll. The sights are small, fixed and rudimentary. In short it is not a shooters gun.

It is intended for short range defense to hit center of mass at 5-30’. Even then the rounds are barely stabilized by the tiny barrel and there is a tendency to keyhole with some ammo. I prefer carrying it with wadecutters.

I have grown use to gun over time, but there are better and cheaper alternatives available today. Guns like the Glock 42 or 43, M&P shield or CZ RAMI can be just as reliable, easier to carry and much more pleasant to shoot.

n2s

Grandpa had an extensive gun collection but also a bunch of grandsons and nephews. I was first born though so I got first dibs. His monster 9” .44 mag Super Redhawk was my choice and is a riot to shoot. Pulling that out at the range always turns a few heads and reminds me of Jack Nicholson’s joker pulling his revolver out of his pants and shooting down The Batman. As fun as it is to shoot, it’s sometimes a bit cumbersome. That led me to the GP100 with a 3” barrel. Still .44, just special. I don’t own a .357 but if I was in the market, I’d take an extra look at the Match Champion.
ZsCvja2.jpg
Darn, now I'm window shopping. I didn't know they made this in 44 Special. Hide the credit card.

GP100 is the best all around, most fun to shoot. Yeah its heavier, buy a shoulder rig holster and nice sport coat.

I have owned my model 60 (1-7/8” barrel 38 special) for 35 years, and I have never liked it. The gun was purchased new for concealed carry, and it works for that. But, it has always been unpleasant to shoot. The double action trigger pull is horrible (long and about 18 lbs from the factory). I have had gun smiths take it down to about 13 lbs, but then it becomes finicky about ammo and can fail to fire. The stock grip is small, short and tends to roll. The sights are small, fixed and rudimentary. In short it is not a shooters gun.

It is intended for short range defense to hit center of mass at 5-30’. Even then the rounds are barely stabilized by the tiny barrel and there is a tendency to keyhole with some ammo. I prefer carrying it with wadecutters.

I have grown use to gun over time, but there are better and cheaper alternatives available today. Guns like the Glock 42 or 43, M&P shield or CZ RAMI can be just as reliable, easier to carry and much more pleasant to shoot.

n2s
I have the S & W Shield in 9mm and with a Galco Pancake Holster & double mag pouch that I have 2 7r mags & one 8r in the pistol. It has low print under my shirt & really none under a jacket. Easy carry & accurate as can be! It’s my most carried, 22 rounds of 9mm is enough for any party against two, and if it’s not, the plan is to use them to fight my way out & have the Calvary go in and take care of it.. :)

I looked into the GP100. Couldn’t find one in a configuration I wanted, at anywhere near what I consider a reasonable price point. Plain Jane with rubber grips just doesn’t do it for me. I like the one hopsbreath hopsbreath was nice enough to show off though :)

I’ll probably end up with a SA if I don’t run across a solid GP100 here soon. So it’s either the 4.62” barrel Blackhawk in .357 or the 3.75” Vaquero Montado in .357. I like different things about both.

I appreciate the conversation. This thread has opened my eyes quite a bit. Thanks again guys. I’ve stayed updated on reading the thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think I’ve narrowed it down to these three. There’s still that small part of me that can never discount the traditional practicality (and non aggressive look) of the SA Ruger. So I included it in the finalists. I found a model in stock in my price range for each one. Thoughts/comments welcome. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1254347 View attachment 1254348 View attachment 1254349 View attachment 1254350

I just realized three of the four are Ruger. I don’t favor one brand over another, it just ended up that way from input from you guys and my own personal preference on style.

With the resurgence in the popularity of the .44 Special with a corresponding increase in availability of factory ammo AND if you are still considering a SA, I would have a look at the Ruger Blackhawk flat top in .44 Special.

Reactions: BP_
I started carrying Ruger SAs back in the mid-1970s w/ a New Model Super Single Six (I still have it to this day) usually with the .22 mag cylinder in place. When I started working a lot in Alaska in the early 1990s, I started carrying this New Model Super Blackhawk. I’ve carried it both on my hip and on chest, getting in and out of float planes, helicopters, and skiffs....size never was an issue. upload_2019-12-27_11-53-30.jpeg

If I was going to get a Vaquero it would be the SASS set.
View attachment 1255168

If I could afford it, it wouldn’t even be a question. I’ve been eyeing those. A beautiful set for sure :thumbsup:

With the resurgence in the popularity of the .44 Special with a corresponding increase in availability of factory ammo AND if you are still considering a SA, I would have a look at the Ruger Blackhawk flat top in .44 Special.

I don’t have any experience with a .44 special, or price shopping ammo. I was thinking .357 for versatility, but I do like the idea of a .44. As said before, I just don’t want to cross the “it’s a pleasure to shoot” line. I don’t want to have to regroup and gather myself every few shots. I can handle big loads very well, but I don’t want to have to think about the recoil. I’d rather concentrate on the shot. A .41mag, .44 special, or .44mag I agree from before that I should probably shoot one before buying. But I do like the idea of the stopping power of the .44 special/.44mag :D

I don’t have a .44 special. But I have a .45acp flattop Blackhawk that I really like a lot. BP_ BP_ not sure what other guns you have but if you already have a .45acp you might really like the .45acp Blackhawk. I load it right from a 1911 magazine.

I started carrying Ruger SAs back in the mid-1970s w/ a New Model Super Single Six (I still have it to this day) usually with the .22 mag cylinder in place. When I started working a lot in Alaska in the early 1990s, I started carrying this New Model Super Blackhawk. I’ve carried it both on my hip and on chest, getting in and out of float planes, helicopters, and skiffs....size never was an issue. View attachment 1255171

Beautiful combo, thanks for sharing. Caliber?
How do you feel about SA shooting in an emergency scenario? Curiosity got the better of me with that question :rolleyes:;)

Beautiful combo, thanks for sharing. Caliber?
How do you feel about SA shooting in an emergency scenario? Curiosity got the better of me with that question :rolleyes:;)

I am much more comfortable with a SA and the first shot is the most important. Also, in my opinion and experience, the SA grip handles recoil much better than a DA grips as it rolls up rather than jerks back. I can generally get the SA back down and onto target quicker than with a DA. I’ve practiced follow up shots and I can squeeze off a second fairly quickly (never at a charging bear though I have had this Ruger drawn on bears that were way too close for comfort). Lots of folks think they are going to have time to blast away a bunch of lead which is unlikely, one or two shots is all you might get...use the gun that you can hit your mark with the first time. This is a .44 Rem Mag.

Fair point. Shot placement is more important than how many rounds you can squeeze off. Plus I’d rather a perfectly placed shot from a gun I can handle, over 3 or 4 wild shots from a big caliber that just jerks me around and fires into the ground (or worse, into the air).

If I could afford it, it wouldn’t even be a question. I’ve been eyeing those. A beautiful set for sure :thumbsup:

I don’t have any experience with a .44 special, or price shopping ammo. I was thinking .357 for versatility, but I do like the idea of a .44. As said before, I just don’t want to cross the “it’s a pleasure to shoot” line. I don’t want to have to regroup and gather myself every few shots. I can handle big loads very well, but I don’t want to have to think about the recoil. I’d rather concentrate on the shot. A .41mag, .44 special, or .44mag I agree from before that I should probably shoot one before buying. But I do like the idea of the stopping power of the .44 special/.44mag :D

The .44 Blackhawk flat top I was suggesting is strictly .44 Special...in my experience, the .44 Special is no harder kicking than a .357 Mag but can put out a larger slug. You can get the shorter barreled, small framed Super Blackhawk and have the option of shooting .44 Special and .44 Rem Mag. Try a .44 Rem Mag first, if you like, get the Super Blackhawk and you can get the versatility you are after.

Will all of the Blackhawk .44mags shoot the .44 special as well? Will they accept any other caliber safely and effectively?
You make a strong point.

Back