REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Lovely! Thank you for the comparison. My PM2 52100 also has patina that is fairly dark.

Sorry for the delay, was out on a camping trip for a week. I did not remove the blade, just did the primary grind and slightly onto the ricasso. I just used plain yellow French's mustard, dabbed on randomly with my fingertip. Not too much, just enough to coat it. It actually doesn't seem to work as well if you use too much. I think it's the vinegar that's in the mustard that makes it work so well. I have used warm white vinegar several times on some fixed blades for a nice, even finish, but it generally turns out much, much darker for me.

See above. ;)

Now, after carrying this knife during my week-long camping trip, I was very surprised how much the patina darkened. Far, FAR more than my satin M4 or my Maxamet! These 3 knives were essentially all treated exactly the same to force a patina; a bit of initial kitchen use, then a mustard-forced patina was applied. The M4 and Maxamet have been carried much more too. If I would have guessed, I would have bet that the M4 wold have taken the heaviest patina, but that's certainly not the case here. Here are the pics, hopefully they show it well enough:

View attachment 966977

View attachment 966978

View attachment 966979

View attachment 966980

View attachment 966981

View attachment 966982
thanks!!!

PSA: for anyone still on the hunt for some of the recent Spyderco sprints, including the REX-45 Para Military 2 and Para 3, as of this post, a large Canadian retailer has some in-stock and they ship to the US. They're selling them for more than the lowest available price, but a lot less than BB or any of the sale prices I've seen on the secondary market (based on the current currency conversion).

Canada and USA only unfortunately, and I wouldnt trust Canada Post as far as I could throw them

Canada and USA only unfortunately, and I wouldnt trust Canada Post as far as I could throw them

Since getting into knives, I've sent and received a lot of stuff through Canada Post and to date, I've only had one issue (knock on wood) with them, and in hindsight it was more of a hiccup - not enjoyable, but it was easily solved.

And I just thought those living here or in the US would enjoy the heads up of some available knives at prices that are less likely to leave a sour taste in their mouth than the highly inflated prices that seem to be everywhere else at the moment.

Ymmv; just my $0.02 though.

PSA: for anyone still on the hunt for some of the recent Spyderco sprints, including the REX-45 Para Military 2 and Para 3, as of this post, a large Canadian retailer has some in-stock and they ship to the US. They're selling them for more than the lowest available price, but a lot less than BB or any of the sale prices I've seen on the secondary market (based on the current currency conversion).

Since getting into knives, I've sent and received a lot of stuff through Canada Post and to date, I've only had one issue (knock on wood) with them, and in hindsight it was more of a hiccup - not enjoyable, but it was easily solved.

And I just thought those living here or in the US would enjoy the heads up of some available knives at prices that are less likely to leave a sour taste in their mouth than the highly inflated prices that seem to be everywhere else at the moment.

Ymmv; just my $0.02 though.

All good mate, Its good you shared the info.

Re Canada Post, Ive only used twice and wont risk it again.

I have to be over in that part of the world in about 10 days. I guess I've got an extra stop on the itinerary now.

a little over 210 USD. Thank you Canada. This will round out my super steel Spyderco collection. Won't have to watch this board like a hawk anymore.

PM2- M4, Cruwear, Rex45
Manix2- S90v,Maxamet,S110v

$190 USD from a Spyderco dealer? :eek: No thank you.

I can't say for sure what the reason is, but there seems to be a lot less competition up here as far as large retailers specializing in blades/knives go. Combined with our weak dollar, and the current the CBSA stuff which has put a bit of a squeeze on new knives coming across, this has unfortunately been the case up here for as long as I've been into blades. Generally speaking, a lot of the knives here (which are identical to those South of the border) are sold above MAP pricing levels.

Does anyone know how many knives are supposed to be available in this sprint run?

That’s what I was thinking but some yahoo on the Spyderco Facebook page said 600.

Ha, he probably has a couple for sale too. :rolleyes: I am not usually that cynical but I have seen the flippers in full force on this one.

I should just assume that he is misinformed. :) Facebook is a fountain of misinformation. I am doubtful that they would only do 600.

Ha, he probably has a couple for sale too. :rolleyes: I am not usually that cynical but I have seen the flippers in full force on this one.

I should just assume that he is misinformed. :) Facebook is a fountain of misinformation. I am doubtful that they would only do 600.
I wouldn’t doubt that one bit!

Back