1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by bin31z, Jul 31, 2018.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I would say that's a good day!

MarriedTheMedic and darth_cholo like this.
  2. darth_cholo

darth_cholo

Mar 29, 2010
    Added this to my supersteel pm2 collection. I'd only trade out a maxamet if I ever got one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filoso, husq2100, 91bravo and 2 others like this.
  3. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I just put this steel through its paces for the day. Cardboard , wood, zip ties doing some lights on the Pathfinder and even hit metal a few times. It's still 99% and shaves. I'm in love .

D2, M4,M390 , 20CV will not touch this stuff.

IMG_20180830_170139~2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    mugwump867 and mb> like this.
  4. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    I was looking into Rit dye. The only other color I would enjoy is brown.

Blue plus orange = brown. Not sure if I have the 00

5. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    In what respect? Just curious. Not that I'm disappointed to hear the accolades.

(I haven't yet carried my Para 3 as I've been swapping back and forth between Maxamet Para 3 and S110V PM2.)

Thanks.

6. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013

So far in both durability and edge retention it's proving itself. It's just user experience on my end. It's hard and tough.

But I cut different media all day and hit metal on my vehicle multiple times while working and it's surpassing anything I've used to date.

This steel is the only super steel I've jumped on in years. I'm happy.

With that said. I have never used Max steel.

7. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    So. Rex 45 >Elmax,S90V,M390, 20CV, 3V for my use in a folder. Cpm 154,D2 and S35vn are still my babies for basic EDC steel.

I have not used Cru, Hap 40, Max or ZDP.

8. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    That's great to hear. I took a flyer when I ordered the Para 3 in Rex 45.

I purchased it to round out my recent acquisition of S110V, Maxamet and Cru-Wear during this resurgence of enthusiasm for high performance steel. (I'd sort of lost the passion for a while.)

Feels good to have chosen well. Thanks for sharing your experience. :cool:

BellaBlades likes this.
  9. darth_cholo

darth_cholo

Mar 29, 2010
    We're such steel snobs (me included) . Spyderco sounds like the only company feeding our addiction like this.

P2P likes this.
  10. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    "Snobs" is such an ugly term. I think "discerning connoisseurs" would be much more fitting. :cool:

(Patiently awaiting the arrival of a K390 bladed "Urban LW" so I can see what all the hoopla is about with that steel. All in the interest of science, of course. ;))

11. Gaspumps

Gaspumps

May 14, 2012
    Got my models wrong. Urban LW is great. Would like UKPK in K390 since I can't find a REX45 Para 3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  12. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    The K390 Urban was a sprint run that dropped in early 2017. You might still find a dealer with one in stock. Probably easier to keep your eyes on the Exchange for one.

13. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I'm patiently awaiting the K390 Urban LW which I purchased a few days back from a fellow forum member that posted one up on the exchange.

I blame Shawn.

:cool:

14. husq2100

husq2100

Mar 3, 2013

Let me know if you have any Spyderco factory PM2 scales for sale.

15. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    5 day's of cutting cardboard, wire, fish, plastic and wood. It still shaves. This stuff is #1. No damage. Btw :thumbsup: :cool: frog lube liquid :). No patina so far. It should come nice and natural over time.

IMG_20180904_185622~3.jpg

bigolegator likes this.
  16. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Cardboard only and a lot of it. Cleaned on a .25m strop more than stropped.

BellaBlades likes this.
  17. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    .5 micron paste on smooth leather here. Followed by a moment on bare suede.

Also bent the clip a little to make is more low profile. Makes a difference with a hard grip.
    IMG_20180904_204321~2.jpg

18. Dodgie02

Dodgie02

Jul 8, 2017
    Really now? That's amazing. When I was still putting my blades through hard use including occasional accidents where metal was struck, cruwear and even S110V (which I find very durable and not too prone to chipping) chipped.
    Not the case at all with Rex 45? Sounds too good to be true haha. I've been treating my paramilitary Rex 2 with extreme care because I'm happy I even got one but you're saying it's save to put it through some kind harder (ab)use?

19. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    I've cut whatever needs to be cut. It's not unubtanium. But it's great. It seems to keep a shaving edge on the .5 micron paste with daily use.

The damage from the impact with the steel is so minimal it does not effect performance. It is the tiniest maybe .10 mm flat spot. That is disappearing with stropping .

It's dang good stuff.

It is acting like the 61 hrc D2 that was on my custom Dozier for toughness but way better edge retention.

This stuff is supposedly 63+. So that explains the edge holding.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Dodgie02 and Blues like this.
  20. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Bob Dozier knows his way around a blade. (I'm fortunate enough to own a couple of his prototypes and to call the man friend, though it's been some years since I last saw him.)