REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Added this to my supersteel pm2 collection. I'd only trade out a maxamet if I ever got one.
GbBFqPb.jpg

Ii4p2GW.jpg

I just put this steel through its paces for the day. Cardboard , wood, zip ties doing some lights on the Pathfinder and even hit metal a few times. It's still 99% and shaves. I'm in love .

D2, M4,M390 , 20CV will not touch this stuff.

IMG_20180830_170139~2.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking into Rit dye. The only other color I would enjoy is brown.

Blue plus orange = brown. Not sure if I have the 00

In what respect? Just curious. Not that I'm disappointed to hear the accolades.

(I haven't yet carried my Para 3 as I've been swapping back and forth between Maxamet Para 3 and S110V PM2.)

Thanks.

In what respect? Just curious. Not that I'm disappointed to hear the accolades.

(I haven't yet carried my Para 3 as I've been swapping back and forth between Maxamet Para 3 and S110V PM2.)

Thanks.

So far in both durability and edge retention it's proving itself. It's just user experience on my end. It's hard and tough.

But I cut different media all day and hit metal on my vehicle multiple times while working and it's surpassing anything I've used to date.

This steel is the only super steel I've jumped on in years. I'm happy.

With that said. I have never used Max steel.

So. Rex 45 >Elmax,S90V,M390, 20CV, 3V for my use in a folder. Cpm 154,D2 and S35vn are still my babies for basic EDC steel.

I have not used Cru, Hap 40, Max or ZDP.

So far in both durability and edge retention it's proving itself. It's just user experience on my end. It's hard and tough.

But I cut different media all day and hit metal on my vehicle multiple times while working and it's surpassing anything I've used to date.

This steel is the only super steel I've jumped on in years. I'm happy.

With that said. I have never used Max steel.

That's great to hear. I took a flyer when I ordered the Para 3 in Rex 45.

I purchased it to round out my recent acquisition of S110V, Maxamet and Cru-Wear during this resurgence of enthusiasm for high performance steel. (I'd sort of lost the passion for a while.)

Feels good to have chosen well. Thanks for sharing your experience. :cool:

We're such steel snobs (me included) . Spyderco sounds like the only company feeding our addiction like this.

Reactions: P2P
We're such steel snobs (me included) . Spyderco sounds like the only company feeding our addiction like this.

"Snobs" is such an ugly term. I think "discerning connoisseurs" would be much more fitting. :cool:

(Patiently awaiting the arrival of a K390 bladed "Urban LW" so I can see what all the hoopla is about with that steel. All in the interest of science, of course. ;))

"Snobs" is such an ugly term. I think "discerning connoisseurs" would be much more fitting. :cool:

(Patiently awaiting the arrival of a K390 bladed "Urban LW" so I can see what all the hoopla is about with that steel. All in the interest of science, of course. ;))
Got my models wrong. Urban LW is great. Would like UKPK in K390 since I can't find a REX45 Para 3

Last edited:
K390 Urban LW????? Didn't see that one coming. Since I can't find a Para 3 in REX 45, I'm in for this one!!!
The K390 Urban was a sprint run that dropped in early 2017. You might still find a dealer with one in stock. Probably easier to keep your eyes on the Exchange for one.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I'm patiently awaiting the K390 Urban LW which I purchased a few days back from a fellow forum member that posted one up on the exchange.

I blame Shawn.

:cool:

5 day's of cutting cardboard, wire, fish, plastic and wood. It still shaves. This stuff is #1. No damage. Btw :thumbsup: :cool: frog lube liquid :). No patina so far. It should come nice and natural over time.

IMG_20180904_185622~3.jpg

.5 micron paste on smooth leather here. Followed by a moment on bare suede.

Also bent the clip a little to make is more low profile. Makes a difference with a hard grip.
IMG_20180904_204321~2.jpg

I just put this steel through its paces for the day. Cardboard , wood, zip ties doing some lights on the Pathfinder and even hit metal a few times. It's still 99% and shaves. I'm in love .

View attachment 976098
Really now? That's amazing. When I was still putting my blades through hard use including occasional accidents where metal was struck, cruwear and even S110V (which I find very durable and not too prone to chipping) chipped.
Not the case at all with Rex 45? Sounds too good to be true haha. I've been treating my paramilitary Rex 2 with extreme care because I'm happy I even got one but you're saying it's save to put it through some kind harder (ab)use?

Really now? That's amazing. When I was still putting my blades through hard use including occasional accidents where metal was struck, cruwear and even S110V (which I find very durable and not too prone to chipping) chipped.
Not the case at all with Rex 45? Sounds too good to be true haha. I've been treating my paramilitary Rex 2 with extreme care because I'm happy I even got one but you're saying it's save to put it through some kind harder (ab)use?

I've cut whatever needs to be cut. It's not unubtanium. But it's great. It seems to keep a shaving edge on the .5 micron paste with daily use.

The damage from the impact with the steel is so minimal it does not effect performance. It is the tiniest maybe .10 mm flat spot. That is disappearing with stropping .

It's dang good stuff.

It is acting like the 61 hrc D2 that was on my custom Dozier for toughness but way better edge retention.

This stuff is supposedly 63+. So that explains the edge holding.

Last edited:
Bob Dozier knows his way around a blade. (I'm fortunate enough to own a couple of his prototypes and to call the man friend, though it's been some years since I last saw him.)

Back