Rex 45 Sprints : Chief , Shaman, Lil Native, And Manix 2 LW

DA170

Platinum Member
The last 4 Rex 45 Sprints are due to drop in the next few weeks! Who's interested and which model is priority?

I'm going to try for all 4, But the Shaman and Lil Native are top of list!

i got the native 5 , and the para3 lightweight.... but the shaman is the prize.... have you seen the bombshell?

i got the native 5 , and the para3 lightweight.... but the shaman is the prize.... have you seen the bombshell?

I have, Great looking knife. After the Rex Models, The Knifeworks Para 3 204P, And Rivers Edge PM2 204P....I'm wanting to get a Darn Dao before they're gone!

Rex by the ocean
View attachment 1321453

Between the sprints and all the dealer exclusives I feel like Rex 45 has become the new M390/20CV/204P
Spyderco definitely listened to the masses (like usual ) and Rexed up the rest of the Golden line after the military family sold so well. Nobody can complain they didn't get the chance to sample the steel this time around. :cool:

Excited to put Rex45 to use, buy I have to say I’m not thrilled by the QC on my Para 3 LW:

Bevel is visibly uneven, there was also rust on the underside jimping from the factory. I can fix both of those things, but the point is that I should not have to.

Between this and the screw issues I had on my 10V PM2, not thrilled with Golden lately...starting to feel a little Benchmade - like
84B7D6B9-2350-4B14-A649-94188FDE5810.jpegDF6B62CA-69C4-4055-B6B7-A6DB8B37818F.jpeg

Excited to put Rex45 to use, buy I have to say I’m not thrilled by the QC on my Para 3 LW:

Bevel is visibly uneven, there was also rust on the underside jimping from the factory. I can fix both of those things, but the point is that I should not have to.

Between this and the screw issues I had on my 10V PM2, not thrilled with Golden lately...starting to feel a little Benchmade - like
View attachment 1321780View attachment 1321781
The jimping area is the hardest for knife manufacturers to coat with oil before boxing. I've had a few of the tool steel sprints /exclusives come like yours.

When I get a new knife I clean factory preservative off the blade and coat /buff with EDCI. I then oil the pivot and use cotton swabs to clean and then oil the jimping on the knife. I've also had many Spyderco blades come with the uneven bevels(mostly left side like yours) but they sharpen out with no problem. Hope you enjoy the Rex45 John.

The jimping area is the hardest for knife manufacturers to coat with oil before boxing. I've had a few of the tool steel sprints /exclusives come like yours.

When I get a new knife I clean factory preservative off the blade and coat /buff with EDCI. I then oil the pivot and use cotton swabs to clean and then oil the jimping on the knife. I've also had many Spyderco blades come with the uneven bevels(mostly left side like yours) but they sharpen out with no problem. Hope you enjoy the Rex45 John.

Already got an acetone bath/scrub with cotton swabs and is freshly sharpened!

I’m going to keep it oil free and see what the natural process looks like, I have never had any major issues with HAP40 and had to force a patina to get one to then black, guess Rex will be similar...enjoy yours too!

Now onto SPY27!

I've been able to bag a couple of the REX 45 Sprints. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but this material has been the best for meeting my day-to-day slicey/choppy/hacky needs. Of the existing models, the Manix 2 LW is my favorite. As you might imagine, the Manix 2 LW REX 45 is on my "buy" list.

View attachment 1321780View attachment 1321781

Even hinderer knives have the same thing inside the jimpings. As for the uneven bevels, it is not uncommon for knives in this price range or even more expensive ones, across many brands.

The Rex 45 Lil Native is starting to drop at dealers. Good luck to those interested!

Between the sprints and all the dealer exclusives I feel like Rex 45 has become the new M390/20CV/204P

I think this is a case of supply creating demand. With this much Rex being available for so long, people do their research and then go for the next sprint that comes available in the steel. When the supply is gone, the market's attention will shift towards what's coming next.

While REX-45 offers significant performance increases over the mid-level M390/20CV class, it wont replace it in a mass market scenario due to not being stainless and also not being as widely available.

If there was continuous supply, I could see REX-45 becoming the new CPM-M4. CPM-4V could also accomplish the same if there was wide availability of the steel.

I suspect that K390 will become even bigger on the market after the Seki models ship and get in the hands of key market influencers. K390 keeps blowing my mind... not just because of edge retention.

I’m done with rex45, waiting for next round of sprints in something else. Took a few tool steel knifes to prove they are useless in the long run.

Super happy for all the dealer exclusives coming out.

I’m done with rex45, waiting for next round of sprints in something else. Took a few tool steel knifes to prove they are useless in the long run.

I strongly disagree but I'm curious which tool steels didnt work out for you.

For my purposes, the tool steels in my collection with the least utility would be M390/20CV despite being stainless. While they're better than the knife steels (S30V, S35VN, & S45VN) I've found far more usefulness in the non-stainless tool steels.

I just purchased some S90V to prove a point which is that the higher obtainable hardness and strength at the apex of something like REX-45 matters more from a practical perspective than the wear resistance of S90V, at least for what I do.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to pick up a Native Chief or Shaman but I doubt that is going to happen.

I’ll be happy just to get a Manix2 lw.

Back