1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.
  2. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

RF3 Flipper Framelock [sold, thanks!]

Discussion in 'For Sale: Folders' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    RF3!

This one has lots of great contouring and a blade that really cuts nicely! The stratified finish on the clip, backspacer and spine adds texture and looks great.

Great action all around! Fires hard, nice and smooth action, well centered with strong detent and smooth lock release.

Materials Used

.16" Titanium Frames, Clip and full length Backspacer
    .13" AEB-L Steel Blade with my heat treat
    SK Bearings
    AKS Hardware all around - fully customized and heat colored AKS pivot
    Ceramic Detent
    Carbidized Lock face

Details

Stonewashed Blue Anodized Finish - looks great and wears well!
    Acidwashed Blade
    Double Hollow Grind with Polished Edge
    Double Swedge

~8" long
    ~3.5" Blade

Ships with USA made case and patch!

USA shipping is included - International Shipping is Available!

$625 at www.fairlyknives.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    These are handmade in my shop including heat treat. This knife took five full days to make. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. rickmenefee

rickmenefee

Jun 26, 2005
    Beatiful knife

4. Frank Niro

Frank Niro

Sep 10, 2000
    Sure a great looking folder, Daniel!
    There a lot of innovating moves you have made on this one. The finish is terrific.
    Frank

5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Much appreciated Rick!

Thanks Frank!

Big respect, I am a big fan of both of yours work! :cool:

6. Garrett Kennedy

Garrett Kennedy

Jun 26, 2016
    This looks great! I like what you did with the handle. How did you take out those grooves so straight? Did you mill it? CNC?
    P.S. any knife making tips would be greatly appreciated.

7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks!

The grooves were manually milled in, I just count handle rotations on the mill to keep the spacing somewhat accurate. No CNC... everything is done by hand in my shop besides initial waterjet rough profiling and hole spotting to help keep things uniform. This one has about 5 days into it including heat treat.

I started with just a file and vise I clamped to my porch rail. Take things one step at a time and you can do anything!

I moved up from the porch rail to a tent and worked outside full time through two Winters... dug a 4' deep by 70' long trench by hand and ran my own electric... built a shop and now I'm just one more tool purchase away from having a complete shop!

I'd buy a foot or two of steel that you can send off for heat treat, a Nicholson Magi-cut file, some clamps, get a basic design going and start filing! It's a lot of fun and goes quicker than you might think. Just let me know if you have any questions!