• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Rick Barrett (Resolved)

I just have to chuckle every time I read one of these, it's always exactly the same. I swear, I should become a "custom knife maker".
Too bad I have a conscience...

Slimo's website now gives a clear warning not to deal with him: "Once an order has been placed there are no refunds! Changes to standing orders can be made at my discretion."

I didn't believe it until I went onto his website and saw it for myself!

Great business model......you send him money and you may or may not ever get a knife. You can't complain because you tacitly agreed to the terms on the website.
He can then send you anything he likes, when he likes and you can never complain or return it...........!!
He is absolved from all future problems and quality issues........What a guy!!:rolleyes:

I just have to chuckle every time I read one of these, it's always exactly the same. I swear, I should become a "custom order taker".
Too bad I have a conscience...

I fixed it for you........;)

Often, skilled makers of thing - knives - houses - jewelry, are not skilled in operating a business. That reality is not material when issues of dishonesty arise. The honest "poor businessperson" admits error and is perceived to be at least trying to make things right. This sad tale is more akin to someone "paying" a debt with an insufficient funds check.

Slimo's website now gives a clear warning not to deal with him: "Once an order has been placed there are no refunds! Changes to standing orders can be made at my discretion."

That is absolute clownshoes and I am at a loss as to how ANYone would give that scumbag money. I can tell you that if I paid $2,200 for an agreed-on knife and the final product wasn't what we agreed on, I'd be getting an immediate refund or remake, or else I'd be flying out for us to have this discussion in person.

Before anyone attempts the "OMG we got a tough guy here" nonsense, the fact is, distance is what allows many of these shyster scumbags to continue operating. It's easy to scam people who you know aren't ever going to show up at your door, demanding their money in person. It's easy to spin a story, or fabricate a bunch of excuses over a hastily typed out email or poorly edited text, it's quite a different thing entirely to have to look someone in the eye and lie to them. Guy took your $2,200? Get a couple hundred bucks together and hit Spirit Airlines, land, head right to this guy's house, it'd be that easy.

Last edited:
Glad to see you post in the facebook group OP. It was turning into a circus. They showed exactly why I hate the facebook knife community.

Hell, Rick even commented on that thread and offered zero info other than that he has the knife. Apparently he isnt trying very hard to sell it, considering how defensive they got over him. Should be easy for him to post it up.

The OP should not have to wait for this moron to sell the knife to get has refund. He asked for the refund before the knife was finished (maybe even before it was started for all he knows, with no communication and no pics).
Refund NOW and selling the knife is Ricky's problem.

What got me the most was that he got on the fb group and basically put the blame on the buyer:mad:. He had a chance to make it right. Used the sympathy play that he is trying to keep a roof over his kids head. Ummm we are all trying to keep a roof over our kids heads, that does not give you an excuse rip people off. So yes, I believe Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives to be a thief and a liar.

"A man who stabbed a debt collector 30 times after she visited him to collect some money has been found guilty of murder.

Geoffrey Hutton, 38, murdered Tina Cantello at his home in Langdon Hills, Essex, in June. Her partially-clothed body was found upstairs in a bedroom.

After a two-week trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court, jurors took two hours to convict Hutton of killing the 49-year-old mother-of-four.

He will be sentenced on Wednesday.

The court heard how Ms Cantello, who worked for Provident Financial, visited Hutton at his home in Derby Close at about 17:30 BST on 8 June.

She was reported missing by her family after she failed to return home."

Back