• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Rick Barrett (Resolved)

When I said to update the posts, I did not mean to take anything down. Everything should stay up as a lesson to any knifemaker that wants to pull this kind of crap with someone else. What I meant was that any ongoing thread that I am not posting to should be updated that he actually paid me back. Regardless the ridiculous amount of time it took and the negative feedback he rightfully received, it is the truth, he paid me back. In situations such as this, honesty is the best approach, I had nothing to hide; I was honest about what happened and I am being honest about the outcome.

As far as his knives being "awesome", well, that part is still true. He does make good knives, his poor business decision to drag me along for 4 years is what was being discussed here. If he sent me a piece of garbage for $2200 or nothing, ever, then we have a different issue entirely. There are people out there that did receive their knives from him or bought one that was already finished online and are very happy. I am not talking about fanboys who hold his "personal knife" while he urinated, but regular collectors. I owned and eventually sold (over a year ago) one of his custom Skull Tap blades. I knew he made good knives, that is why I sent him $2200. Me telling the world that all of his knives are suddenly pieces of shit because of a really stupid business decision would not be honest.

The dude took a beating for several days straight online and again, I have all of you to thank for that. His reputation is definitely scarred and it will take some time to recover. And yes, I agree, that I received my refund because of said beating and no, I will never own another custom Rick Barrett knife again, period. The incident is over, all of the posts will remain online for years to come and potential customers will find it.

On that note, during this long, 4 year, process, I had been periodically checking all over the internet for any negative press about Rick Barrett. Some have told me it's out there, but I was never able to find anything. That may be why I gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long, but the feedback is here now and there is no changing that.

I will switch my heading back to bad (instead of no header), someone had pointed out that I shouldn't of changed it and I agree.

Last edited:
When I said to update the posts, I did not mean to take anything down. Everything should stay up as a lesson to any knifemaker that wants to pull this kind of crap with someone else. What I meant was that any ongoing thread that I am not posting to should be updated that he actually paid me back. Regardless the ridiculous amount of time it took and the negative feedback he rightfully received, it is the truth, he paid me back. In situations such as this, honesty is the best approach, I had nothing to hide; I was honest about what happened and I am being honest about the outcome.

As far as his knives being "awesome", well, that part is still true. He does make good knives, his poor business decision to drag me along for 4 years is what was being discussed here. If he sent me a piece of garbage for $2200 or nothing, ever, then we have a different issue entirely. There are people out there that did receive their knives from him or bought one that was already finished online and are very happy. I am not talking about fanboys who hold his "personal knife" while he urinated, but regular collectors. I owned and eventually sold (over a year ago) one of his custom Skull Tap blades. I knew he made good knives, that is why I sent him $2200. Me telling the world that all of his knives are suddenly pieces of shit because of a really stupid business decision would not be honest.

The dude took a beating for several days straight online and again, I have all of you to thank for that. His reputation is definitely scarred and it will take some time to recover. And yes, I agree, that I received my refund because of said beating and no, I will never own another custom Rick Barrett knife again, period. The incident is over, all of the posts will remain online for years to come and potential customers will find it.

On that note, during this long, 4 year, process, I had been periodically checking all over the internet for any negative press about Rick Barrett. Some have told me it's out there, but I was never able to find anything. That may be why I gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long, but it's here now and there is no changing that.

I will switch my heading back to bad (instead of no header), someone had pointed out that I shouldn't of changed it and I agree.
Well said! I agree all info is here and should definitely stay. You have conducted yourself in a very respectful matter through a difficult situation. That said Rick Barrett is still definitely a liar and would have been a thief without this thread and the FB one. Maybe he is in cahoots with Survive and Koster.

On that note, during this long, 4 year, process, I had been periodically checking all over the internet for any negative press about Rick Barrett. Some have told me it's out there, but I was never able to find anything. That may be why I gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long, but it's here now and there is no changing that.

Great post!

On that note, during this long, 4 year, process, I had been periodically checking all over the internet for any negative press about Rick Barrett. Some have told me it's out there, but I was never able to find anything. That may be why I gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long, but the feedback is here now and there is no changing that.

You hit on something. It's the frustration that comes from wanting to own something that you know is high quality but the maker taints it by treating their customers like crap.

I've read so many of these stories and overwhelmingly it's not the quality of the knife, it's the lack of quality in the maker.

It's not even bad business most of the time, it's flat out dishonesty and theft. And that's what's so confounding, how can anyone who makes such good quality knives be so dishonest?

There’s talented assholes in every walk of life :D

That's been made painfully obvious in this thread as well as all the similar ones.

It was more of a rhetorical question but I'm still confounded by such talented people, people who work for years to obtain a following and a set of skills who throw their lives away.

A bunch of hating scum bags. Neil has a personal life to.
Life didn’t get in the way of Rick Barrett refunding the OP’s money for years when he failed to deliver on making the OP’s knife. Rick Barrett was either lazy or greedy. And until this post got Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives to refund the $2200 he held for 4 years Rick Barrett was a thief. So there IS a scumbag in this thread but it isn’t the “haters.”

Rick Barrett is still a thief and a liar.

***I HAVE BEEN REFUNDED***

I received a full refund of $2200. Rick did the right thing, I was not scammed or ripped off in the end. I wish it did not have to come to having to go public, but it's done and over with. I appreciate everyone's responses and support during this process.

For the record, Rick makes awesome knives and I hope this was a learning experience that will not be repeated. A lot of custom knifemakers fall into this rut and it's hard to get out of. Regardless, I wish him the best of luck going forward.
Apparently the update above caused some mixed emotions. Please read my latest response which I also posted at the end of the thread:

"When I said to update the posts, I did not mean to take anything down. Everything should stay up as a lesson to any knifemaker that wants to pull this kind of crap with someone else. What I meant was that any ongoing thread that I am not posting to should be updated that he actually paid me back. Regardless the ridiculous amount of time it took and the negative feedback he rightfully received, it is the truth, he paid me back. In situations such as this, honesty is the best approach, I had nothing to hide; I was honest about what happened and I am being honest about the outcome.

I am finally going public with the transaction I have had and still have with Rick Barrett. I was way more patient and understanding than I should have been as you will see in the emails below. Please note that I have omitted some of the personal conversation we had as it is not for public consumption. If you want to get a summary without all the communication, just skip to the end.

I have tried to make this as easy to read as possible. Here is the timeline:
August 2019, 2800$ USD sent for one of the few katanas he had left (injury preventing more hammering). then it is ready by Christmas 2019. Then march 2020. April 2020 offers me to buy another item I had considered, a W2/1075 combo, this one 5000$- offering a package tanto if i, basically, send the x2 cost of that combo. I declined as I had not seen or heard about the first one. Then fall 2020 it is again just near to be finished... Then April 2021. Grinder family a multitude of excuses separated by months of not answering emails, no phone answer. I was advised to ask for a refund, and i wish having seen your post shortly before I committed but you posted months after...

You hit on something. It's the frustration that comes from wanting to own something that you know is high quality but the maker taints it by treating their customers like crap.

I've read so many of these stories and overwhelmingly it's not the quality of the knife, it's the lack of quality in the maker.

It's not even bad business most of the time, it's flat out dishonesty and theft. And that's what's so confounding, how can anyone who makes such good quality knives be so dishonest?
I was not aware that this forum topic existes; I had sent $ 2,800 to rick august 2019 and with COVID and school forgot about forum checks... Several "it is nearly ready" emails later by Mr Barrett, or no replies at all, I just asked for a refund today. And declined april 2020 his offer for his last W2/1075, as that one was double the price easily, and did not risk sending so much when the first one was ... delayed..

I
I highly doubt without this thread and without its ascendance towards the first page of Google that Rick Barrett would have refunded a dime of your money, after failing to do so for 4 years. It literally took 10 days of this thread to do what should have been done the day you asked for a refund after a four year delay. No credit is due Rick Barrett for refunding your money when this effort is what it took. Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives was not sorry for keeping your money, he was sorry for being caught and outed.

A situation like this goes to show no matter how popular a knife maker is on social media, or how many “vouches” one may have on Instagram or Facebook or Reddit, Bladeforums and its members carry an immense amount of clout in the online knife community and can and will continue to prevent scammers and thieves from exploiting knife collectors as it has for the past two decades.

I am glad the OP got refunded after four years, but it was not a sudden change of heart on the part of Rick Barrett. It was solely due to the immense threat to his reputation that this site and this thread imposed. The fact that Rick Barrett never bothered to post here speaks volumes as well. While he may not be a thief, Rick Barrett is still a liar and any other potential customer is at risk of this should they deal with him. His own terms on his site lay this out. Caveat Emptor when dealing with Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives of Goshen Indiana.
am $2800 under, sent august 2019.... Had I read this before, no chance... Each reply was akin "blade is nearly ready..." Well, i just lost patience after reading the OP... Given the legal implications (the sums alone make it a slam dunk) why on earth chance it???

Wait, I've heard a rumor that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a Liar.

Is it true? That Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a Liar?

I'm not sure, but I think it best to verify rumors like
Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR before I go repeating them, one never knows what could happen. If I were to repeat that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR without verification, then it's possible that Google might reference future searches for Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR.

One can never be too careful. So has anyone heard if Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR? Or is it possible that Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR might be incorrect?

I'm just asking if Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR. If anyone knows whether or not

Thieving knife maker Rick Barret of Barret Custom Knives is a outright THIEF and a LIAR please let me know.

Thanks!
See my entry, $2800 sent august 2019, and multiple delays "it is ready later" I just got fed up.

Back