Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Gen 5?

ZT did it already with the 0562s and 0392s. And why not, you don't need the redundancy but it doesn't hurt either.

Huh, really weird seeing that on the inside of the lockbar then, I can't see any reason for that kind of milling above the insert and for the insert is very clearly taller than it needs to be given the height of the lockbar insert.

2 stabilizers?

40429409351_91ae61b31f_c.jpg

I absolutely LOVE Hinderers, but I really don't like what I see there. The detent ball is on a post that remains in/on the titanium lock bar even if the steel lock face is removed. In Scott's video he posted showing removal, that bearing appears to be missing out of the tube. I see this as unneeded complexity, as I've never had one bit of problem with a Hinderer lock-up. If I ever did, I'd damned sure have gotten my money's worth.

I watched a video and Rick mentioned the main reason for the insert was for CS reasons. People were batoning (ridiculous) with their folders and now a new insert can be sent to the customer. He did mention that batoning with his folders is a no-no.

Last edited:
Look at about 2:00 in and you'll see the detent bearing is gone. I'll stick with the traditional RIL setup, at least for now.

Good catch. I did not realize it until later. The way I took it off was wrong and the angle put pressure across on the detent ball and popped it off. This would not be typical and after talking to Rick I realized my error!

whitty whitty I pm'd you with some questions. :)

I'm not sure why the lockbar insert is an issue. CRK themselves now offer their knives (except the 21) with the ceramic ball.

Hey Whitty do you know if you will be getting more in various finishes and or handle options?

The new Gen 5 Sheepsfoot arrived today. I take a lot of knives apart for anodizing and can say Hinderer once again crushed it with the insert. Very well done without making the ti around it to thin and still making the lock up thick on the steel insert. Fits nice and snug too!

How is the blade ground? super thick? I have never owned a hinderer but he posted a lefty version on instagram and now I really want one with this sheepsfoot blade lol.
I just dont want something too wedgy. I have a manix 2 ffg, zt 0220 and 0804, and benchmade griptilian if you could give me a comparison of some sort.

I buckled and ordered a sheepsfoot gen 5 through my retailer, Rick himself is bringing it over at IWA :)

whitty whitty I pm'd you with some questions. :)

I'm not sure why the lockbar insert is an issue. CRK themselves now offer their knives (except the 21) with the ceramic ball.

I like that method - doubles as the detent (smooth "single step" unlocking) and isn't visible on the lock bar.

So...they extended the longevity of the design and made it easier to fix problems if they do crop up? Without raising the price?

Some people will complain about anything.

Not complaining Nick, just saying I prefer the simpler version, as again I've yet to see any problems out of my XM's. Just prefer the KISS principle.

Is it my imagination, or does the gen 5 feel ever so slightly thicker in the handle than the previous generation?
Will check it out with a micrometer this evening out of curiosity...

Back