Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Gen 5?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gideons, Jan 23, 2018.

1. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    ZT did it already with the 0562s and 0392s. And why not, you don't need the redundancy but it doesn't hurt either.

2. crocogator106

crocogator106 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Looks like usamadeblades has them listed now.

3. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013

I absolutely LOVE Hinderers, but I really don't like what I see there. The detent ball is on a post that remains in/on the titanium lock bar even if the steel lock face is removed. In Scott's video he posted showing removal, that bearing appears to be missing out of the tube. I see this as unneeded complexity, as I've never had one bit of problem with a Hinderer lock-up. If I ever did, I'd damned sure have gotten my money's worth.

4. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I watched a video and Rick mentioned the main reason for the insert was for CS reasons. People were batoning (ridiculous) with their folders and now a new insert can be sent to the customer. He did mention that batoning with his folders is a no-no.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Doesn't the 0562 have two as well?

6. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    removed

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005

Good catch. I did not realize it until later. The way I took it off was wrong and the angle put pressure across on the detent ball and popped it off. This would not be typical and after talking to Rick I realized my error!

8. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    @whitty I pm'd you with some questions. :)

I'm not sure why the lockbar insert is an issue. CRK themselves now offer their knives (except the 21) with the ceramic ball.

9. Popsickle

Popsickle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes

10. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  11. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Hey Whitty do you know if you will be getting more in various finishes and or handle options?

12. whitty

Aug 25, 2005
    I know we will but I just do not know what yet!

Ippon98 and XtianAus like this.
  13. buffalo01

buffalo01

Oct 13, 2016
    How is the blade ground? super thick? I have never owned a hinderer but he posted a lefty version on instagram and now I really want one with this sheepsfoot blade lol.
    I just dont want something too wedgy. I have a manix 2 ffg, zt 0220 and 0804, and benchmade griptilian if you could give me a comparison of some sort.

14. NorseVet

NorseVet Huskarl of Zealand

Aug 26, 2017
    I buckled and ordered a sheepsfoot gen 5 through my retailer, Rick himself is bringing it over at IWA :)

t.willy likes this.
  15. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    So...they extended the longevity of the design and made it easier to fix problems if they do crop up? Without raising the price?

Some people will complain about anything.

Popsickle and crocogator106 like this.
  16. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    I like that method - doubles as the detent (smooth "single step" unlocking) and isn't visible on the lock bar.

Not complaining Nick, just saying I prefer the simpler version, as again I've yet to see any problems out of my XM's. Just prefer the KISS principle.

17. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2002
    I love that sheepsfoot.

18. eye_panic

eye_panic

Jan 15, 2018
    Do you have any Gen 5s with blue adonization and blue g10 scale? Preferably with the sheepsfoot or spanto blade.

19. whitty

Aug 25, 2005
    Not yet but I am sure we will soon!

20. arskrg

arskrg

Aug 15, 2011
    Is it my imagination, or does the gen 5 feel ever so slightly thicker in the handle than the previous generation?
    Will check it out with a micrometer this evening out of curiosity...