Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Gen 5?

Yeah the stop pin can be fixed but the lockstick is really bad, like shockingly bad. It just sucks that I live in Europe so I have to ship it to my retailer that then have to ship it to Hinderer. It's going to take ages. Too much of a hassle to send it in when the knife is not straight broken, but I gotta be honest I'm very disappointed with the quality control here.

I'm hoping the lockstick will go away as I wear it in. If it's still like this in a couple of weeks I'll send it back.

The granite trick does not help?

Got my Gen 5 XM-18 with the sheepsfoot blade about two weeks ago. Zero lock stick and the stop pin fits super tight in both pieces of titanium. I didn't bother trying to remove it from the lock side when I opened up the knife for cleaning and adding a full copper hardware set. I would send it back regardless of the wait. That's a lot of money to spend on a knife that you'll never truly be satisfied with.

Please let him upgrade to phosphor bronze washers too!
Funny thing is I upgraded to aftermarket phosphor bronze washers and it fixed the ever so slightly off blade centering on my new Hinderer. I'm able to get very loose flipping action with a tighter pivot resulting in a perfectly centered blade. Not sure if this has to do with the stiffer washer material, but the knife is now perfect. Wish I didn't have to buy the washer off ebay to upgrade a $425 knife.

Anyone ( whitty whitty ) have picturs of this next to the MP-1 for a blade comparison?.

Here you go! Hope this helps!

https://flic.kr/p/25det96 https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

Yeah the stop pin can be fixed but the lockstick is really bad, like shockingly bad. It just sucks that I live in Europe so I have to ship it to my retailer that then have to ship it to Hinderer. It's going to take ages. Too much of a hassle to send it in when the knife is not straight broken, but I gotta be honest I'm very disappointed with the quality control here.

I'm hoping the lockstick will go away as I wear it in. If it's still like this in a couple of weeks I'll send it back.

I hate hearing this. While we have seen a rattle in the stop pin before it has been very rare. Like you said it is a very easy fix but I hate you got one. The lockstick being bad sucks. Is the pivot tight enough? Hopefully your dealer will treat you right and have one to replace it for you so you do not have to wait for it to go back and forth.

I asked about the lock stick on this forum and a couple of other places and was assured that it's normal and will break in with time and use. It seems to be getting better on mine.

I hope I did not say lock stick is normal. Very slight lock stick can happen but lock stick in general with Hinderer knives is not normal at all. If it is not almost gone or completely gone soon let me know or send it back to Rick. Hopefully it is gone!

Thanks, whitty whitty

Is it the photo or is the choil slightly larger on the XM?

Here you go! Hope this helps!

I hate hearing this. While we have seen a rattle in the stop pin before it has been very rare. Like you said it is a very easy fix but I hate you got one. The lockstick being bad sucks. Is the pivot tight enough? Hopefully your dealer will treat you right and have one to replace it for you so you do not have to wait for it to go back and forth.

I hope I did not say lock stick is normal. Very slight lock stick can happen but lock stick in general with Hinderer knives is not normal at all. If it is not almost gone or completely gone soon let me know or send it back to Rick. Hopefully it is gone!

The granite trick does not help?
I did apply some and while it did alleviate some the lock stick is still really bad compared to my Gen 4 with TI which is absolutely buttery smooth with nothing done to the knife at all.
Got my Gen 5 XM-18 with the sheepsfoot blade about two weeks ago. Zero lock stick and the stop pin fits super tight in both pieces of titanium. I didn't bother trying to remove it from the lock side when I opened up the knife for cleaning and adding a full copper hardware set. I would send it back regardless of the wait. That's a lot of money to spend on a knife that you'll never truly be satisfied with.
I'll give the knife a chance to "wear in", but you're absolutely right, when there's issues that bug you like that, you are totally right, you'll never be satisfied so I will ship it back if the issue persists during the next couple of weeks of using it.
I've tried adjusting the pivot in every way imaginable but the problem is when I get it to a point where the lock stick is acceptable (it's still there but tolerable) then the blade centering gets way off and that bugs me just as much.
This knife is so new that my retailer here in Europe does not have any more in stock, I was the first guy to get one through them.
I don't fault my retailer in any way, they've provided the best costumer service you can reasonably ask for.

I've heard that anti-oxidant might be helpful here, so I've ordered some and will try applying it. I'll open and close the knife for a couple of weeks and if the issue persists I will ship it back.

But like you, it's just a terrible feeling to get that sort of first impression. I've been extremely satisfied and happy with my other Gen 4 knives so it was shocking to see this kind of lack of quality control.

I'll report back if the issue goes away or if I'm forced to ship it back regardless of how long it's going to take.

Thanks for your input though.

Last edited:
Man it sounds you get a dud. Sucks to hear that. Looks like some warranty work is inevitable.

Man it sounds you get a dud. Sucks to hear that. Looks like some warranty work is inevitable.
What's puzzling to me is that in the box you get a slip saying the knife was "hand assembled and tuned" by a specific worker. I wrote Hinderer directly and they told me it goes through multiple layers of quality control before it ships.

If I was charging what Hinderer is doing and I shipped my knife in this condition I would've been embarrassed, the lock stick is one thing which is bad enough, but there's no possible way you could've missed the free spinning stop pin, when the knife was extended in locked position you could literally feel it moving as your thumb was running over it.

Anyway, the pin is fixed now with some loctite and I'm crossing my fingers that the lockstick goes away, I've already gotten some nice suggestions from people in private messages that I'll try before sending the knife back.

Whitty, I have a rotating stop pin on one of the Hinderer’s that I own. It does not seem to effect lock up or the performance of the blade. Should I be concerned with this?

Last edited:
This is my first Hinderer. I've yet to find anything wrong with it at all and have enjoyed my short time with it. HUGE thanks to whitty whitty for help with this one. Truly the best in the business.

X6Yx6XJqmSchrKv8LJOkVRls2GvpkrOoWgsIJ2a2YNt2HxefVCVOz6qoNyVL-1VXjIKyKD9FvTPZtBXyRvvHdmTSJem2aaXvTP3OpK3jj8KvAhp4eqsvHwUUdH58z58_XBsXyugrKVY=w2400

Whitty, I have a rotating stop pin on one of the Hinderer’s that I own. It does not seem to effect lock up or the performance of the blade. Should I be concerned with this?

Not at all. Most of them will rotate as they are not tight press fitted. While most rotate very few rattle.

In my mind they should rotate so they adjust for wear over time.
Sounds logical, but inspecting my two other Gen 4 knives the pins are not rotating to the touch at least, they seem pretty solid.
My gen 5 was not only rotating, it was completely free spinning. If you ran your thumb over it, it would spin around on its own.

This is all with the knives being properly assembled of course.

Sounds logical, but inspecting my two other Gen 4 knives the pins are not rotating to the touch at least, they seem pretty solid.
My gen 5 was not only rotating, it was completely free spinning. If you ran your thumb over it, it would spin around on its own.

This is all with the knives being properly assembled of course.

If it is rattling when you shake it then it is definitely going to be free spinning. As I have said, this is very rare, but we have seen it. It is an easy fix at home or a quick fix and turn around from the ranch. We see issues from every knife maker that we sell for and plenty from our customers who want us to fix knives that we do not sell. While it may not seem like it, Ricks knives typically have some of the least problems. They just get vocalized more because of the price point and the popularity. The folks at the Ranch are human though and mistakes happen. I hate that you got one of the problems and are on the other side of the pond. If I can help at all to get it right with the Ranch please let me know.

If it is rattling when you shake it then it is definitely going to be free spinning. As I have said, this is very rare, but we have seen it. It is an easy fix at home or a quick fix and turn around from the ranch. We see issues from every knife maker that we sell for and plenty from our customers who want us to fix knives that we do not sell. While it may not seem like it, Ricks knives typically have some of the least problems. They just get vocalized more because of the price point and the popularity. The folks at the Ranch are human though and mistakes happen. I hate that you got one of the problems and are on the other side of the pond. If I can help at all to get it right with the Ranch please let me know.
Truth be told I think it was probably just the shock because as said, I have been extremely satisfied with Hinderer prior to this.
I fixed the pin and I'm waiting on some anti oxidant compound while I try to wear the lock in. Maybe I can fix it on my own without having to send it back.

I appreciate you wanting to help out even though I'm no customer of yours and I do respect your word and believe what you're saying. No doubt about it. My knife is likely just that, a lemon, hopefully a lemon I can fix by myself.

Other than that it's covered under warranty and I'll just have to forget about the knife for a while as it gets repaired.

I'll leave the thread for now, I don't want to create any further distress to potential buyers as I do believe this is not normal for Hinderer knives.
For what it's worth Hinderer themselves have also been extremely polite and helpful, I have been in touch with them.

Regards.

Back