Ridiculous budget blade-4 dollar Ozark Trails folders, good blade-pic heavy

[sarcasm]

I'm waiting for someone to compare them with other G10 flippers for under $5. Oh, there aren't any? Let's try $10. Still nothing? Dang. My Skyline is waayyyyyy better than this [emoji90]

[/sarcasm]

With all of the concern about lock failure on this $4 knife, I can't understand how non-locking folding knives didn't fade from existence within a short time of their availability to the public.

Unless there are just a ton of fingerless/maimed traditional knife owners out there...
I appreciate a solid lock as much as the next guy, however I never rely on any mechanical safety feature to keep me safe. Lock failure can happen on any knife whether it's a $4 knife or $400 knife. Common sense and safe handling go much further than any lock or safety feature made. I feel like those on here who rely on the lock of their more expensive knives are the same type who would rely on the safety of firearm to prevent it from firing.

[sarcasm]

I'm waiting for someone to compare them with other G10 flippers for under $5. Oh, there aren't any? Let's try $10. Still nothing? Dang. My Skyline is waayyyyyy better than this [emoji90]

[/sarcasm]
Don't know about G10 flippers but 8cr13mov moderns for about $9 ppd.

But I'm
splitting-hairs.jpg

carry on.

Don't know about G10 flippers but 8cr13mov moderns for about $9 ppd.

But I'm
splitting-hairs.jpg

carry on.
Idk what type steel these things are but I'm noticing different edge retention between models. The tan one will make roughly 25-30 1.5 ' cuts thru cardboard before noticing any drastic performance decrease. The black camo made it to 50-55 before it began drastically decreasing performance.

Please note I'm talking drastic change in cutting, it begins losing it's razor edge rather quickly.

So while waiting for Spyderco to push out more s110v Paramilitary 2s............., I came across the big box store display for the holidays with a different selection of multitools, lights, and folding knives.

The Ozark Trail folding knives caught my eye, and the price, at 4 dollars. I've bought the pos lockback they made, but these just looked different, and figured for 4 bucks why not.

Let me say, I hate most of the entire designs from the outside, they are tip down right side only carry, they have thumb studs, and made in China. But they did have a flipper!

First the tan flipper, they don't really name the models, I'm impressed with fit and finish, no up and down play at all, flipper a bit slow but it has plastic washers! G10 for the scales on the handles.

IMG_0715_zpskpnhflfc.jpg

IMG_0716_zpsscgn3kgy.jpg

IMG_0719_zpsw1hsddbt.jpg

IMG_0722_zps5rtyii0p.jpg

IMG_0725_zpswrjhw7j2.jpg

Then I had to go back and buy the fiberglass handle tanto. I hate tanto blades, especially combo edged ones. Then to add that thumb stud. But again for the price I'm not in the luxury of being picky. The pattern on the handles is very close to the blue Benchmade 300. Blade is supposed to be titanium coated.

IMG_0747_zpsywmt2tlb.jpg

IMG_0749_zps0bazzefk.jpg

IMG_0753_zpsrfgy7scr.jpg

IMG_0755_zpsw11hxjss.jpg

Well, for stocking stuffers, I'd have to say these would be great for a trashing knife, something you don't want to ruin your good blades on. As a first pocket knife you could do much worse, I know they are nicer than my first knife. I have in mind a few people to be shopping for. Like I said, I've bought the dollar Ozark Trail backlock, and literally had it fall apart after opening it from it's package, these new models are light years ahead of the old ones.
Here's these wonderful beaters next to your future desire..

ee0ZCQt.jpg
MzxAYDu.jpg
rV81UBP.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy148

My question is, who will be the first to post the picture of a "polished" blade in this thread?

I already did lol gonna grind off the Swedge next and make it more of a drop point.

5Sn1ssS.jpg

Yep, I remember that pic. I was talking the entire blade with Flitz or another polishing compound....

Polishing the preverbal tu#d!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy148

My question is, who will be the first to post the picture of a "polished" blade in this thread?

Yep, I remember that pic. I was talking the entire blade with Flitz or another polishing compound....

Polishing the preverbal tu#d!
Oooo, yea I'm not polishing the whole blade lol.

Jill it costs nearly that much just to get them here.

How do you know? Walmart is making more than you act like. I'm sure they're shipped in a container and I highly doubt it's as much as you're acting like. Oh I forgot, you're the designer? But, did you ever find out what steel these knives you designed use?

Last edited:
Ok, but he didn't know the steel used which I found odd.

I am not the designer, I am the buyer. The knives are 420J2. I typically do concern myself with blade steels (looking at some CPM S30V and 154CM options this coming year) but for a knife under $4, blade steel is not at the top of my priorities. Most consumers of $4 knives look at different blade steels and all they see is alphabet soup.

Even with Walmart having the best ocean freight rates in the world, the downstream replenishment of knives can be extremely expensive. They are typically slow turning items, and therefore replenished individually as they sell. This means that they have to be break-pack items in a DC, so someone physically has to pick each knife and repack it before it goes to a store. The handling is where it gets expensive.

I didn't really like the tip grind on the tan model, so I just turned mine into more of a drop point.
0VX2Zpc.jpg
sNXVX3T.jpg
HpPgcWd.jpg

I am not the designer, I am the buyer. The knives are 420J2. I typically do concern myself with blade steels (looking at some CPM S30V and 154CM options this coming year) but for a knife under $4, blade steel is not at the top of my priorities. Most consumers of $4 knives look at different blade steels and all they see is alphabet soup.

Even with Walmart having the best ocean freight rates in the world, the downstream replenishment of knives can be extremely expensive. They are typically slow turning items, and therefore replenished individually as they sell. This means that they have to be break-pack items in a DC, so someone physically has to pick each knife and repack it before it goes to a store. The handling is where it gets expensive.
The tan flipper model in s30v with a drop point and better lock design would be a great knife imo.. The ergonomics are there, just not the steel (but again it's a $4 knife I wouldn't expect it to be) at the moment. I'd buy one of these on a higher end scale.

Back