Riggers/Carpenter hatchet

Estwing Rigger's Axe, Condor Woodworker, Vaughan 28 ounce, Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe

Between these which should I buy? Is there another option I'm missing? I almost bought the Condor, but some reviews on a certain site said the head came off.

Yourself are much better to appraise what it is you think you want. Myself over the past 50 years have had no need or use for any of the items you mention.

I'd buy the Vaughan just because I'm familiar with their hammers, though I've never used their rigger. I've used Vaughan hammers professionally for over 30 years and I find them to be top notch.

I don't like the steel handle of the Estwing. But if you think you might terribly abuse your hatchet or leave it out in the weather than the Estwing might be the best choice for you.

Most of what I've read about Condor has been positive - good product for the money. I bet the Husky is better.

Any of these will be good as a 'stump axe' - an axe used for shaping wood atop a stump or other sturdy work surface. Good carvers. If you expect to use the poll a lot then get a straight haft hatchet. Curved hafts aren't as handy when you want to use both ends of the tool. Also, I doubt the Condor or Husky have hardened polls. Both the Vaughan and the Estwing will. They are designed for hammering.

If this is to be used as a camping/bushcraft tool then my preference would be to find a vintage vintage claw hatchet. It'll match any of these as a stump axe. The poll is hardened and it includes a truly functional nail puller. Hung on a riggers hatchet handle it becomes a pretty good chopper, too.

3.jpg

Any of these will be good as a 'stump axe' - an axe used for shaping wood atop a stump or other sturdy work surface. Good carvers. If you expect to use the poll a lot then get a straight haft hatchet. Curved hafts aren't as handy when you want to use both ends of the tool. Also, I doubt the Condor or Husky have hardened polls. Both the Vaughan and the Estwing will. They are designed for hammering.

Those and a few other things. It will not be a bushcraft hatchet.

I have built over 100 houses with a Vaughan rig builders hatchet 28 oz. (not the same one:D )

Last edited:
Estwing Rigger's Axe, Condor Woodworker, Vaughan 28 ounce, Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe

Between these which should I buy? Is there another option I'm missing? I almost bought the Condor, but some reviews on a certain site said the head came off.

Read the reviews on the Condor Woodworker, it's got an edge like a splitting maul :( I bought a Vaughan carpenters axe 14"/22 oz and it was also pretty thick at the edge. I haven't re-ground it yet, but it needs it before it's useful. I also bought a Plumb riggers axe 18"/28 oz and it's really nice. It needed sharpening, but only with a sharpening stone, not a belt sander. Check out the Plumb.

I have built over 100 houses with a Vaughan rig builders hatchet 28 oz. (not the same one:D )

"Vaughan RB 28-Ounce Rig Builders Hatchet, Hickory Handle for heavy construction" That is the one I was looking at. Is it the same one you used? I'm not looking to build a house, but it sounds durable.

I also bought a Plumb riggers axe 18"/28 oz and it's really nice. It needed sharpening, but only with a sharpening stone, not a belt sander. Check out the Plumb.

I saw a Plumb earlier tonight. I'll have to go back and take another look.

Last edited:
I love the balance of the Vaughn on an 18 inch straight handle. It almost swings itself!!
Rmfcasey

I like the Estwing Axe and have built buildings with it. It is a very dependable tool. I think it's head is of A2. It takes a good edge. DM

Last edited:
To help it cut better I reprofiled the face. It's not as convex now and cuts much better. I did it on a SiC stone the coarse side and on to the fine side. Then to the fine India. It can drive 60 & 40d ring-shank nails into hard wood. A good weight head. DM

"Vaughan RB 28-Ounce Rig Builders Hatchet, Hickory Handle for heavy construction" That is the one I was looking at. Is it the same one you used? I'm not looking to build a house, but it sounds durable.

I saw a Plumb earlier tonight. I'll have to go back and take another look.

Yea that's what I use 28 oz. People marvel that I don't have some "California framer" or something in Titanium.

these are the types of rigs I build with my rigbuilders hatchet

You can bet those guys standing around leaning on ladders don't work for me

Back