RIP Charlie Mike

Oh man this is sad. I haven't read through all of the comments and not sure what happened, but I always enjoyed Matt's instagram profile. I didn't know him personally but interacted with him here and on instagram. RIP Charlie Mike.

Last edited:
Found out about this somewhat late last night. Looked at the comments here and elsewhere many times as if it were some dream and not a reality.
Personally have interacted with Matt only a handful of times over the years..Watched him grow in his knifemaking skills from the very beginning.
Found solace in his determination to move beyond the vices many fall victim to. Grew excited for him when he received his tormach CNC. Enjoyed his realism and spirit with his Youtube videos. Snickered a little when he had made some kydex sheaths for a ball peen hammer.

Rest in peace Matt, you have touched so many in a positive way and for that I am grateful.

I first saw the tragic news of CM's passing on the Shop Talk section of this Site before I had noticed this much deserved tribute dedication thread to Charlie Mike. Like many on here, I only knew of CM because of his postings on here and some other social media foot prints. I always found him to be both funny with an unabashed sense of humor combined with his thoughtfulness and the sharp presence of of mind.

Although the news of his passing is very numbing, it's great comfort to see that many, many, many care about him and are expressing their sorrow by sharing their fond memories, whether the connections were made in ether or IRL.

Here's Blade Forum's Charlie Mike's YT channel for those interested, if for nothing else than to celebrate and to appreciate his contributions:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CMFTWknives/videos

Pass through the Universe calmly fellow Californian knife hobbyist.

Dammit. :(

I didn't know him nearly as well as many here, but he was one of my favorite contributors to the forum. He shared his knowledge of and passion for knives, he shared his kitties and wonderfully warped sense of humor, his triumphs and the times he fell a bit short of triumph... he shared himself and made the forum a better place for it. My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones, both 2 and 4 legged.

You will be missed, CM.

I haven't been around here too long compared to most, but shortly after my introduction to the site, I began noticing a lot of posts from someone with the screen name "Charlie Mike". Usually filled with a good dose of wry humour and equal parts honest opinion and helpful advice. As I spent more and more time here, I came to see those regular posts from him as a part of the forum itself; that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding how much he was contributing back to the community here.

His passing is definitely a loss for BladeForums and while I'm happy to have been here while he was a regular contributer, it's a bittersweet feeling knowing that newcomers to BF won't be able to experience his personality first-hand like I was fortunate enough to be able to. Sending some thoughts and good vibes his way/his family's way.

Last edited:
Very sad. He was way too young. Condolences to his family and friends.

I always enjoyed his posts. "Knives on my cat" is a Bladeforums classic. A huge loss to all of us on the forums and to the entire knife community. I'm sure he'll be packing his blades through the pearly gates. Heaven will just have to get used to him putting a "wave" on everything up there.

....His passing is definitely a loss for BladeForums and while I'm happy to have been here while he was a regular contributor, it's a bittersweet feeling knowing that newcomers to BF won't be able to experience his personality first-hand like I was fortunate enough to be able to. Sending some thoughts and good vibes his way/his family's way.
I agree 100%.

A decade or so ago, I first got into knife collecting via an interest in balisongs. CM was one of the active authorities on that subject back then and though I was always just a lurker, I really valued his opinion. Though I never really interacted with him, he played an important role in developing my passion for blades and I'll never forget him for it! I guess sometimes we don't get to see all the little ripples that stretch out from the splash we make in this life.

Rest easy Matt. You will be remembered!

Matt modified my Spyderco Szabo - turned the spydie hole into a wave and put a double edge on the top portion of the blade. Taught me that his preferred waving technique was to mount the pocket clip on the opposite side of the knife and open by drawing into a reverse ice pick style grip. I'm pretty sure he was the world's foremost user of the wave feature. Anyways, that Charlie Mike modified Szabo is one of my all time favorite knives and makes me feel like a badass every time I carry it. Matt was an original and will be missed.

I first saw the tragic news of CM's passing on the Shop Talk section of this Site before I had noticed this much deserved tribute dedication thread to Charlie Mike. Like many on here, I only knew of CM because of his postings on here and some other social media foot prints. I always found him to be both funny with an unabashed sense of humor combined with his thoughtfulness and the sharp presence of of mind.

Although the news of his passing is very numbing, it's great comfort to see that many, many, many care about him and are expressing their sorrow by sharing their fond memories, whether the connections were made in ether or IRL.

Here's Blade Forum's Charlie Mike's YT channel for those interested, if for nothing else than to celebrate and to appreciate his contributions:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CMFTWknives/videos

Pass through the Universe calmly fellow Californian knife hobbyist.
Thanks for the link.
I can see that CM touched a lot of people.

Sad news :(

He was a cool guy. Always nice to watch his channel.
Reminds me to use my shit and live in the moment.

RIP

Back