RIP Charlie Mike

I'm not too active on the forums but I liked Matt's posts, he was one of a kind. Like others here I'm in disbelief that he is gone.

Carry your best knife, wear your best watch, and throw on your best clothes. Take a day off work for the family, make a phone call you haven't made in a while, forgive people who have wronged you. Dont be afraid to live, we just never know how long we have left.

A sharp knife has done no work, go out and dull a knife in honor of CM.

This is terrible, CM was such an even tempered and cool dude. I will miss his humor and awesome personal carry photos. Spyderco has some newer waved knife out and I took one look and thought it was a CM creation for a minute or two. RIP Charlie Mike AKA Matt Freeman...

Only knew about him from the forum and youtube. Man, that guy inspired a lot of people to start making knives on a diy level, I think. Myself included. Horrible to hear this. :(
Rest in peace, God bless.

Last edited:
This sucks. He overcame so much and I loved reading his posts. It was cool to see this guy that had drug problems and was an alcoholic overcome his problems and keep himself busy making knives and modding knives for others. He will be missed. Until we meet again my friend, Godspeed on your next adventure. CMFTW!

Damn it.

I've read so much of his stuff here and had so many chuckles that I feel like I knew him. Always had the perfect blend of snark and humility and that isn't easy to accomplish. His videos were hilarious. I guess he was from Missouri, the Ozarks. A car wreck, probably from this ridiculous storm most of the nation is experiencing. RIP Charlie Mike. Godspeed, enjoy the Heavenly Forge.

Signed in to offer my condolences regarding the passing away of CM... and found out that what I thought was a failed attempt to create an account hadn't failed and I've actually had an account for a while :)

As somebody who grew up with drug addiction and death I could relate to his character.

Knives relax me, and reading about people blabbering about knives relaxes me - I come here to unwind, reading all these posts is like a soothing background noice to me.

Charlies posts always popped out of that soothing Ocean sound of endless knife-blabbering.

They were crisp and always short.

Didn't see so many jokes, more a guy who couldn't take most of the things in life seriously because once you're confronted with the actually serious stuff in life you just can't - I think that was what shone through his posts and spoke to so many.

Hope it's not out of line to write that as somebody who didn't even know him other than his presence here but for some reason I felt the need to express this.

RIP Brother. I have to admit....I really and truly enjoyed seeing him progress as a knife maker. From his real early knives to what he had put out lately. He basically went from making something similar to that made in high school metal shop to full on custom blades. The man had talent. He will be painfully missed. Godspeed CM.

Sad news indeed. I count myself as fortunate enough to have known Matt. Words fail me to describe how kind, funny and humble Matt was. Those of you who mention how Matt just got after it as a do-it-yourself knife maker would be amazed at his tireless desire to make knives and his super humble beginnings. When I first met him, we were talking about an early blade he was making and he says to me-

"hey bro, this guy says my work sucks. What do you think about it?"
I replied, " I dunno, it's a bit rough. Maybe just needs a bit more work. What do you think?"
without missing a beat, Matt replied "well hell yes it sucks. Have you ever seen such a jacked up grind?
It's a like a blind old lady ground this! But WTF, I just started!!!"

I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. You couldn't insult Matt. Never embarrassed, unapologetic and as real as they come. You'd be hard pressed to find a better person to talk to. Rest in peace Matt, you'll be missed

We will miss him around here. Does anyone know the circumstances around his passing? Was wondering if anything like donations to a charity group would be a nice way to help others?

Back