RIP Charlie Mike

Didn't know Charlie Mike, just knew him from being very active on here on Bladeforums. He was certainly a unique member of the community and seemed like a very nice person.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Matt. Condolences and prayers to your family. You will definitely be missed.

I've been bummed for days about this. I still remember some of the crazy things he used to post back when I first began coming to this place in 2005. He was always one of my favorite members. I always enjoyed seeing his "Charlie Mike'd/waved/daved" modifications. I really wanted one of his custom knives. I'm sad I'll never get one, and I'm even more sad that I'll never see new posts on here, on Instagram or YouTube videos from him.

Rest in peace Matt.

He was one of my first friends here on bladeforums. Crazy. Rip sir. You had your demons but were a good person.

What the actual f**k? :( I haven't been as active here at BFC over the last couple months as I have been in the past, so I just saw the bit up at the top of the forum about CM tonight. My stomach is churning and there are tears in my eyes as I type this. I can't believe Matt is gone. We weren't best buds or anything, just the usual comment here and there on something one or the other of us had posted, but I feel like I just lost a good friend all the same. CM was definitely a larger-than-life dude and one of the most unique people I've ever known. I did follow his journey to sobriety here on the forums, and I also watched his progress as a knife maker. Matt and I also shared a great love for both knives and kitties. Rest in peace, Matt/Charlie Mike. It was a pleasure and an honor to know you, man, even if it was just the occasional word here on BFC. You will be missed.

CMFTW :thumbsup:

iu

"Stay armed, stay alert, stay alive. Hooah! God bless. Later." -Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman

Last edited:
I can't believe what I am seeing. Matt was a great guy. I feel lucky to have gotten on the bandwagon early and have, as he put it last we talked, probably the largest collection of his knives. RIP my friend, you will truly be missed.

Matt helped me through a truly hard time in my life when my uncle passed unexpectedly. I will always be grateful for our friendship.

From the start we had an explicit trust relationship, build me something bad ass and just tell me what I owe. I will always cherish the blades CM built for me.

Last edited:
Damn it's too bad Jerry Busse's Name This Knife GAW is closed, I was going to suggest that he call it the Charlie Mike. I thought it would have been fitting because both of them look like Bad Asses.
Dude. I got chills, that's a FANTASTIC idea. Maybe some other manufacturer can make a Continue Mission/Charlie Mike knife? Maybe with a portion of each sale going to ______.

Rest in peace, Charlie Mike. I loved watching your videos, especially the EDC related ones. Hooah!

I think its pretty clear we need spark or a mod to ok one of us to start a campaign to make/order some nice challenge coins that say CMFTW on one side, and one of his favorite sayings on the other side.
We can sell them for more than they cost to make as another fundraiser and donate all the prodeeds to his family.

I know id carry one.

RIP CM

I'm 43, & I may be wrong but I think he was younger than me, young enough for his passing to be a shocker. I'm a fellow NoCal knife lover, talked to him a few times...I didn't love his knives, but I loved his spirit. All of these people, most of us didn't know him but a bit, yet we're all compelled to share our thoughts of him, because there was something about him, something that struck as authentic & approachable. A flawed man, for sure, but he owned it all, we all know he showed it all...he strove to make human connections, & that's why I'm writing this...we connected, & I'm better for it - thank you brother.

Back