• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped off by Dale Reif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by john sage
I hadn't recieved any emails letting me know about the last few responses, and school has me BUSY, but here is what is happening now. Beleive it or not..... Dale sent me two of the three knives he owes me, and one of them is in good enough shape to sell right away. The other has a serious blade centering problem that I need to address as soon as I get the time.

I am amazed that Dale would send you a knife that had a badly centered blade after all he has put you through. You would think he would have made sure these knives were as close to perfect as possible.

Selling those knives around these parts may be a little difficult. After reading this thread you couldn't pay me to own one of Dale's knives.

Originally posted by Keith Montgomery
I am amazed that Dale would send you a knife that had a badly centered blade after all he has put you through. You would think he would have made sure these knives were as close to perfect as possible.

Selling those knives around these parts may be a little difficult. After reading this thread you couldn't pay me to own one of Dale's knives.

I disagree, mainly because he obviously could care less about his reputation - the damage is done. Legally though, he delivered the product and arguing the quality of the product would be up to much speculation.

Unfortunately the law is most likely going to just be concerned with whether or not he made the stuff ordered, not that it was garbage.

Sorry this situation has gone on so long.

On a side note -- I wonder if a moderator can see who is subscribed to a thread, would be curious if Dale is getting notified as new posts are added... (he did have a username here didn't he?)

I wonder if a moderator can see who is subscribed to a thread

No, I can't, but if he isn't reading this it's his own choice, and it's his own choice not to reply, too.

Well,
Some things never change. Dale is about two weeks past the deadline he set for himslef on the third and final knife he owes me. I really thought that after all the bad publicity and all the people here speaking their minds, that he would get it together and deliver the product he owes me. I did here from him today, and he asked for one more week to build it, and as he is so far away, how can I say no. I can however call my recently acquired friends at the postal inspectors if he doesn't come through.... Any bets?????

:D

Dale still owes me a knife, and he is up to his old tricks. I have made a "tentative" deal to trade two existing reif knives, and the knife he still owes me, to another collector for a set of vintage drums. Well, after God knows how long now, the third knife has yet to show up, and there is really no realistic time that I can expect the knife. What's worse, is that, and quit understandably, the other party in my prospective trade deal is about out of patience and has given the deal one more week to come through or it is off. After several phone calls to Dale from myself and the "third" party, all we have received is verbal stroking from Dale. As was prviously stated in a posting above, one of the knives I had received from Dale had a badly centered blade, I sent it back to Dale for fixing, as it should have never left his shop that way in the first place, and though he said it would ship out to weeks ago via priority mail, still nada. So, now we are back up to two knives he owes me, and my patients is wearing ultimately thin. What can I do from California, other than buy a plane ticket to Wichita and drop in in him? ANy ideas, anyone?????

John Sage

Sorry to hear of your problems. I've had similar problems with a big name knifemaker. When he finally came through, I wasn't satisfied with the result. To be fair, the frustration of getting the knife probably contributed to my overly critical review, but it didn't have to be that way. To top it off, I sent the piece back for a refund and the U.S. postal service "lost" the package. I've filed a claim and am waiting for reimbursement.

On the bright side, I've dealt with the Dawsons at www.knives.com and Glen Parrell of www.vikingmetalworks.com . In all cases, I arranged payments and made the last payment long before the knife or sword was due. In all cases, the makers far exceeded my expectations in terms of quality and value. I definitely recommend these makers to other forum members. In this day and age where makers procrastinate and whine almost as much as I do, its nice to encounter makers that treat their customers right. Barry Dawson, Lynn Dawson, and Glen Parrell all proved to be easy to deal with, friendly towards their customers, and turned out first-rate blades that I am proud to own.

I was really hoping, as were the rest of us, that you would get "all" the knives that were owed to you ! There was even a glimmer of hope when Reif fessed up the first 2 blades.

But then again. . .at least in this case. . .past performance (or lack there of) is indicative of present performance. :( We are such trusting soles. :(

It's pretty simple. . .Reif is a theif !

Have you notified the Postal Inspectors that Reif hasn't produced the last knife ?

Any possibility of getting the law involved. . .where Reif the theif lives ?

As of right now, nothing. He is not returning phone calls, or making any attempts that I know of to complete the deal. All he has to do is just finish one last knife, and this is all over, WTF is wrong with him???? I have notified the Postal inspectors of his failure to deliver in the time they specified, so I hope that will motivate him to finish the job he agreed to do, and accepted money for. Anyone who can get Dale to comply will bve rewarded!

John Sage

You have to woder where Dale's head is at. His reputation is going right down the toilet. hopefully this has been posted on all the knife forums. There is no excuse for this kind of garbage.

headupass.jpg

Keith,
I never thought I would catch a smile from this particular post. Happily, you have proved me wrong! Finally, we have an accurate portrait of Dale's psychological profile! I imagine he walks around all day, wondering why it is so dark.

JS:D

Posted by John Sage:

. . .an accurate portrait of Dale's psychological profile!

Agree, but it's more than psychological !

Hell. . .no wonder he isn't able to complete your last knife (well. . .besides being a POS) ~ he isn't able to see the grinder. ;)

And with that snap shot. . .it would be easy to pick him from a police line-up ! :D

I still find it amazing that he's still dickin' you around ! :confused:

Originally posted by tom mayo
geez............you should get some kind of award for the longest running thread in history!!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

This honor goes to the "hottie" thread - 1003 posts...

Actually, the thread that ran the longest was the And So.... The Phantom Of The "Khukura" Is Born... thread. It had 1707 posts and went on for 15 months until Spark shut it down for dragging down the server. The thread with the most posts was the My beer is cold. . . .and this new model is HOT!!!!!!!! thread in the Busse forum. It had 2354 posts, but only covered alittle over three months.

How's that for being the King of useless information.
bis.gif

Trust me, I would have been happier if this thread had run for ten minutes before the situation was resolved, BUT, that ain't the case. Still no word, no knives, nothing but a very large F*#K YOU from Dale Reif to me.

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back