• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I would be pursuing legal action. Even if OP got the other 2 knives what would these knives be worth now? Nowhere near $7000.

I agree, why haven't your gone legal with this? You have been scammed. Probably time to realize that.

Perhaps you two should go back and read the thread instead of making assumptions about lawfor's course of action to date. :thumbup:

Dale realizes it Matt.....he's a lawyer. Just 'pursuing legal action' isn't as easy, or inexpensive, as some think.
Joe

Perhaps you two should go back and read the thread instead of making assumptions about lawfor's course of action to date. :thumbup:

I read about halfway, then intermittently after that. I was under the impression that he was still waiting it out and hoping for a natural resolution. My mistake.

Just take him to court. Open and shut case and he will not only be paying you what he owes but also your lawyer fees(emotional damage if you want to be mean)You have all the emails of this B.S. so it's gonna be a easy quick case. I am not about getting lawyers involved but he has obviously not been reasonable so why work with him any longer. And honestly I wouldn't even want the other 2 knifes from him no matter how amazing they looked. It would just remind me of the BS I went through .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP: You've been a stand up guy through this and I understand why you brought it to the public. I sincerely hope this unfortunate situation gets resolved.

MODS: I implore you to close this thread. The buyer has expressed his case, the maker has responded (on IG). What more can we do here? All of the dog-piling by people who have nothing to do with the transaction is just toxic. Speculation and name smearing is not going to help the situation. Unless OP has a meaningful update, there is no need to drag this thread out.

Are you kidding me? This site is for providing people with knowledge to make educated decisions about buying knives !! I want this left up. This has helped me in my decision not to buy one of this guys knifes !!

Just take him to court. Open and shut case and he will not only be paying you what he owes but also your lawyer fees(emotional damage if you want to be mean)You have all the emails of this B.S. so it's gonna be a easy quick case. I am not about getting lawyers involved but he has obviously not been reasonable so why work with him any longer. And honestly I wouldn't even want the other 2 knifes from him no matter how amazing they looked. It would just remind me of the BS I went through .

Unfortunately, it is not quite that easy. Trust me.

+1 it's not judge Judy . Some people just want something exciting to read and they want to read it now . End of the day it's your money lawfor and your probably the only person in this thread that's an actual attorney .Do things your own way at your own pace ,after all your the one out of a watch and knives.

Yea the more I read into this you know the right route to take being a lawyer. I went through something similar. Gave someone money that didn't do the work that was paid for and we had to go the legal route and it was actually taken care of pretty quick. But it also was not out of state and not that long of a period before we went after him. Best of luck to you though I really hope this does workout for you in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Last edited:
+1 it's not judge Judy . Some people just want something exciting to read and they want to read it now . End of the day it's your money lawfor and your probably the only person in this thread that's an actual attorney .Do things your own way at your own pace ,after all your the one out of a watch and knives.

Actually just want the best outcome for this guy. A lot of other comments said the same thing. Your right he does know the process a lot better then most people on here but that does not mean someone has not been through a similar situation and wanted to give advice from there personnel experience to help.

The OP has acted with great dignity and restraint, this in itself speaks volumes.

I'm not a collector of these types of knives but I see this as a disgusting and totally indefensible saga on the part of this knife-maker. Evasions, deceit, ignorance and arrogance, lie early and lie often it seems...Sometimes, a massive hurrah goes up about a maker, or dealer, people start yapping on about how great the guy is and what fantastic service he provides, an un-critical mass gathers momentum only to be de-railed by deceitful behaviour like this, be wary, be very wary. I still hope the OP can get his money or equivalent watch back it's the least he deserves.

The OP has acted with great dignity and restraint, this in itself speaks volumes.

I'm not a collector of these types of knives but I see this as a disgusting and totally indefensible saga on the part of this knife-maker. Evasions, deceit, ignorance and arrogance, lie early and lie often it seems...Sometimes, a massive hurrah goes up about a maker, or dealer, people start yapping on about how great the guy is and what fantastic service he provides, an un-critical mass gathers momentum only to be de-railed by deceitful behaviour like this, be wary, be very wary. I still hope the OP can get his money or equivalent watch back it's the least he deserves.

Thanks very much. There will always be someone ready to make a new Youtube video extolling the maker when the time is right in exchange for a little quid pro quo, I'm sure. Hopefully this thread will at least have a little impact on his particular maker's reputation and (lack of) integrity and honesty.

I am shocked and appalled that Dustin hasn't done the right thing by now.

Hopefully this thread will at least have a little impact on his particular maker's reputation and (lack of) integrity and honesty.

We all like to see justice, because seeing is really believing. Considering this thread ranks second on a Google search of "Dustin Turpin Knives", right next to his home-page and Instagram page, I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting e-mails along the lines of "Hey. I'm considering ordering a knife from you. BUT, would you mind addressing this -link to this thread-" Wherein, Dustin Turpin pulls his hair out and proclaims "Those A$$hole$ are ruining my life!” Not really, he ruined his own reputation by not taking care of this. Instead he chose to blame others and acted as if he had nothing to do with this. This guy seems to have sociopathic tendencies. If he was smart, he'd swallow his shallow pride and take care of this asap, rather than letting it fester and hoping it will go away. It won't. Internet archiving is forever. DERP!

We all like to see justice, because seeing is really believing. Considering this thread ranks second on a Google search of "Dustin Turpin Knives", right next to his home-page and Instagram page, I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting e-mails along the lines of "Hey. I'm considering ordering a knife from you. BUT, would you mind addressing this -link to this thread-" Wherein, Dustin Turpin pulls his hair out and proclaims "Those A$$hole$ are ruining my life!” Not really, he ruined his own reputation by not taking care of this. Instead he chose to blame others and acted as if he had nothing to do with this. This guy seems to have sociopathic tendencies. If he was smart, he'd swallow his shallow pride and take care of this asap, rather than letting it fester and hoping it will go away. It won't. Internet archiving is forever. DERP!

I think that what you will find is that there are a large number of people out there waiting for their knives who have pre-paid or given him substantial deposits. My guess is that he is getting daily e-mails demanding refunds and threats of legal action. At this point he is in dire straits and no threat of exposure or action will really make any difference. Makers who behave in this way tend to do it over a long period of time building up many "scammed" customers.

The reason that he cannot make this right is that his whole ponzi scheme where he uses current deposits and payments to finance older orders has fallen apart. There is no money coming in so he is forced to sell the customers pre-paid orders for cash instead of delivering them.

The custom knife world is very small and as the entire enterprise crashes around him and his shenanigans become well known he will find it harder and harder to sell anything. Most makers in a similar position have never recovered and ultimately leave the custom knife world.

This particular circumstance where Turpin essentially conned a $7K Rolex out of the OP is particularly larcenous and people should avoid doing business with Turpin at all costs, as by doing so you are perpetuating the Ponzi scheme.

Last edited:
I've got a friend that I talk to every couple of months or so with . He's big time into custom knives . He had emailed Turpin wanting to buy a couple of knives ,had cash ready to go and all that ....He hadn't seen the threads and not sure if was before or after they were started . Anyway basically he said the email said hey man like your work want one of your knives if you have it available give me a price and a PayPal and nothing .

Good thing I guess , but seems like Turpin is under a rock somewhere . I don't know if he's thinking all this will blow over or if he's going through menopause ,either way he seems to he off the grid ..

Let's hope he stays under said rock Spartan.......he can't steal from anyone when he's under there!
I would've thought Skelton's vid would have brought him lots of attention. That knife he has is beautiful and if someone wasn't aware of Dustin Turpin's lack of integrity, more money would flow his way.
Hoping he won't be able to give them away.
Joe

From Instagram Help Center – Community Guidelines.

The Short:
We want Instagram to continue to be an authentic and safe place for inspiration and expression. Help us foster this community. Post only your own photos and videos and always follow the law…

The Long:

Follow the law -

“Instagram is not a place to support or praise terrorism, organized crime, or hate groups. Offering sexual services, buying or selling firearms and illegal or prescription drugs (even if it’s legal in your region) is also not allowed. Remember to always follow the law when offering to sell or buy other regulated goods. Accounts promoting online gambling, online real money games of skill or online lotteries must get our prior written permission before using any of our products”.

Respect other members of the Instagram community -

“We want to foster a positive, diverse community… Serious threats of harm to public and personal safety aren't allowed. This includes specific threats of physical harm as well as threats of theft, vandalism, and other financial harm”.

It strikes me that what he has done must be a violation of the spirit of the rules. Would Instagram like to know they may have been used to perpetrate a crime? Is it extremely likely that Turpin will attempt to use Instagram to set up a crime in future?

There's a file a report link on this page - https://help.instagram.com/477434105621119/

BRIGHTSIDE - This is a perfect example of how 'tight' this community is, where the members have each other's back when one has been wronged.

GotYourBack1200-v2.png

BRIGHTSIDE - This is a perfect example of how 'tight' this community is, where the members have each other's back when one has been wronged.

GotYourBack1200-v2.png

That is something unique and great about the knife community. And, just as importantly, I think it helps us to self-police and watch one another's back. If a high profile maker deliberately rips off one collector, that is pretty good evidence that he may do it to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back