• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed anyone would stand up for the guy. Especially a fairly public figure like Skelton. I'm not a fan, but it seems silly on his part.

Like having a drunk buddy that picks a fight with the Icelandic power lifting team in a bar.... Love ya buddy, but you're on your own here. Dumbass.

I have a funny feeling Skel took DT's back for a free knife or 2 Bryce. No other reason for him to open his mouth. As soon as he heard a little something from Dale, the real story, he acted like a 12 year old and washed his hands of the issue.
Total tools, both of them.
Joe

I have a funny feeling Skel took DT's back for a free knife or 2 Bryce. No other reason for him to open his mouth. As soon as he heard a little something from Dale, the real story, he acted like a 12 year old and washed his hands of the issue.
Joe

I'm sure you're right, but still. Knives < Integrity.

Integrity doesn't enter the equation with these 2 thieves bro.
There's a link to a cigar forum somewhere in this thread. You only need to read a page or 2 to see how much Skelton values his non existent integrity.
He robbed good friends big time.

Integrity doesn't enter the equation with these 2 thieves bro.
There's a link to a cigar forum somewhere in this thread. You only need to read a page or 2 to see how much Skelton values his non existent integrity.
He robbed good friends big time.

Skelton is an extraordinary tool. I gag if I try and watch one of his reviews. I'm not sure if the guy ever even uses his knives. He just likes to talk and pretend to be an expert, when he is really just a loud, obnoxious charlatan. Doesn't surprise me he would stick up for Turpin; they make quite a duo.

Joe

You're being rather insulting to tools lumping those two in with them...;^)

Very good, and valid point John!!! I'm going in my truck to beg forgiveness of all my tools!!!
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Joe

I don't know what got into me!!! Went out to apologize and now my tools aren't talking to me!
This is not good at all!

This whole thing is crazy to think that you made a deal and then have it broken its just a bad deal on your end. A few years ago got in to make knives and i made a few the first few prototypes i gave away as gift. When i started getting better and actually made good quality knives. I got contacted by a YouTube, if memory serves correctly i commented on his YouTube and like what i was making. He asked me if there was anyway i could make him a knife, he wanted to make a video of customs vs productions. Keep in mind i was making nothing special just some knifes made out of high carbon steel in my garage here in Kansas. So i accepted his offer of a trade (of some lower-end knives) plus some airtime since i didn't have anyone out side of friends and family that knew i was making knives. So i gladly made him his knife and as a bonus i even made a small knife as a knife he could do as a giveaway (since he did a lot of giveaways). Once the knife was made i sent it off to him he got it and said he loved it and said he would send the traded knives right over. To say the least i did get the knives after a month or two past i had to bother him more then i wanted to to get them. Then he did a video the day he got them talking about the video he was planing. After i got the trade i sent him a few messages ask when he was going to make the video, and when he finally made the videos of productions vs customs he didn't even include mine. In fact he deleted all the videos on his YouTube that had to do anything with my knives. Plus the knife i made so generously, from him to do as a give away he kept for his own.

Now i know my story is not nearly as bad its not even close. I do understand how you feel and how it is to be lied to by someone who seemed like such a nice genuine guy when you first talked to him. Needless to say i don't make knives anymore sadly, now i just fix and sharpen knifes for friends and family.

Thanks for taking the time to read this i wish you the best.

I don't even want to think about that Wolfe!!!
[emoji1][emoji1]

diy-diy_project-do_it_yourself-tools-toolkits-tool_kits-tzun1902_low.jpg

Uh oh!! I'm thinking some nightmares are heading my way!!
[emoji51][emoji51]

This whole thing is crazy to think that you made a deal and then have it broken its just a bad deal on your end. A few years ago got in to make knives and i made a few the first few prototypes i gave away as gift. When i started getting better and actually made good quality knives. I got contacted by a YouTube, if memory serves correctly i commented on his YouTube and like what i was making. He asked me if there was anyway i could make him a knife, he wanted to make a video of customs vs productions. Keep in mind i was making nothing special just some knifes made out of high carbon steel in my garage here in Kansas. So i accepted his offer of a trade (of some lower-end knives) plus some airtime since i didn't have anyone out side of friends and family that knew i was making knives. So i gladly made him his knife and as a bonus i even made a small knife as a knife he could do as a giveaway (since he did a lot of giveaways). Once the knife was made i sent it off to him he got it and said he loved it and said he would send the traded knives right over. To say the least i did get the knives after a month or two past i had to bother him more then i wanted to to get them. Then he did a video the day he got them talking about the video he was planing. After i got the trade i sent him a few messages ask when he was going to make the video, and when he finally made the videos of productions vs customs he didn't even include mine. In fact he deleted all the videos on his YouTube that had to do anything with my knives. Plus the knife i made so generously, from him to do as a give away he kept for his own.

Now i know my story is not nearly as bad its not even close. I do understand how you feel and how it is to be lied to by someone who seemed like such a nice genuine guy when you first talked to him. Needless to say i don't make knives anymore sadly, now i just fix and sharpen knifes for friends and family.

Thanks for taking the time to read this i wish you the best.

Thanks for sharing your story, but I don't think that should keep you from making more knives. Just chalk it up to experience and keep going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may never be made whole in this situation, and that's ok I guess. I have a great life and much to be thankful for. In the big picture, this is not the end of the world.

But, I also don't intend to let this guy skate and get away with this with no consequence. I am going to continue letting as many folks know what he has done as I can. If that helps warn someone else, than some good has come of this.

I just spent my Saturday morning coffee time reading every post of this thread. I can be long winded, so I will do my best not to bore anyone and keep my comments concise. The above quote speaks volumes about the character of the OP.

- Thank you to Dale (Lawfor) for this post. This has been outrageously helpful for me to read for many different reasons. In the days of Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc I truly believe that a thread like this is why Forums still exist and thrive. Short clip modern social media simply cannot replace a Forum and its members when it comes to issues like this. Thank you BladeForums for providing such a platform.

- Dale, I truly hope you reach a point of adequate resolution in this situation.

- As a collector of many things other than just knives, threads like this demonstrate how easily both makers and collectors can get drawn into negative situations. The good ones (buyers and sellers) are able to negotiate an adequate solution. The bad ones tend to crash and burn.

- This thread has also shined a light onto the character of many of the readers/posters. The company we keep is important. Standing up for what is right, and standing up against what is wrong truly matters.

- The thread also shows the true nature of some of the relationships that exist between marketing and makers. YouTube is not the place it once was. YouTube, in many ways, has gone the way of eBay. Cash is king and honesty/integrity can often take a back seat. Proceed with caution when taking advice from a career youtuber. As with any arena, some are good and some are not.

Thank you again, Dale. The helpfulness of this thread goes far beyond your individual situation.

Be well.

I just spent my Saturday morning coffee time reading every post of this thread. I can be long winded, so I will do my best not to bore anyone and keep my comments concise. The above quote speaks volumes about the character of the OP.

- Thank you to Dale (Lawfor) for this post. This has been outrageously helpful for me to read for many different reasons. In the days of Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc I truly believe that a thread like this is why Forums still exist and thrive. Short clip modern social media simply cannot replace a Forum and its members when it comes to issues like this. Thank you BladeForums for providing such a platform.

- Dale, I truly hope you reach a point of adequate resolution in this situation.

- As a collector of many things other than just knives, threads like this demonstrate how easily both makers and collectors can get drawn into negative situations. The good ones (buyers and sellers) are able to negotiate an adequate solution. The bad ones tend to crash and burn.

- This thread has also shined a light onto the character of many of the readers/posters. The company we keep is important. Standing up for what is right, and standing up against what is wrong truly matters.

- The thread also shows the true nature of some of the relationships that exist between marketing and makers. YouTube is not the place it once was. YouTube, in many ways, has gone the way of eBay. Cash is king and honesty/integrity can often take a back seat. Proceed with caution when taking advice from a career youtuber. As with any arena, some are good and some are not.

Thank you again, Dale. The helpfulness of this thread goes far beyond your individual situation.

Be well.

Well said, sir. I too have read this thread through and, while I tend to avoid participation in such topics, I do have a few thoughts on the matter at hand:

>Indeed, Dale has demonstrated an exceptional level of equanimity and forbearance through this whole mess. His posts and attitude serve as an example of how to navigate life's ups and downs. We are not well-served by allowing ill-treatment to affect our character or the manner in which we respond to adversity. That Dale has continuously refocused the discussion here and encouraged posters to refrain from speculation and insults is admirable.

>I feel sorry for DT, although not in a kind or sympathetic way. Whether or not his original intention was to defraud our OP or the other depositors whose money he took, the effect is the same. Ultimately, we are not defined by our intent, but by the results of our actions or inactions. You can't un-ring the bell, but you sure as hell can apologize to your neighbor for waking him up. Dale has given DT every opportunity to do just that. He doesn't get it and that's just sad.

>Finally, I'd like to echo Robert's comments about the value of this forum. This is a great community supported by a lot of very good people and I feel privileged to be able to be a part of it.

Thanks, Dale, and thanks, BF.

--Steve

Last edited:
Your post gives insight to your character also Steve.
Very well put my friend.
Joe

I'm very curious if Dustin's ever going to do knife shows again. I hope to see him in person at some point so I can ask him what he plans to do about the outstanding orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back