• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also can make no sense of that post Dale.
It's like saying it's not a rapist's fault he raped that cute girl. She was dressed nice so she deserved it.
Very weird.
Joe

I have no idea what point you are making but thanks for your contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point is that you can make yourself more of a target for thieves, if they know you have a lot of money. Showing a Rolex, is just shouting out that you are wealthy. I'm just suggesting that it's better to be conservative, about your career, and financial status, with those that you don't really know.

A Rolex is a symbol of wealth, that few average people can afford. Whether or not your intention was to demonstrate your affluence, that is what it looks like. A dishonest person may be able to justify taking money from the rich, more easily than stealing from those with little resources. The fact that you worked hard, and deserve what you have, means very little to someone who is trying to take advantage of you.

Stealing is stealing. The relative perceived wealth of the parties involved plays absolutely no part in any of this.

Stealing is stealing. The relative perceived wealth of the parties involved plays absolutely no part in any of this.
I just think that it's important to the thief. They can get more money, with less effort, if they target a wealthy person, rather than stealing from a bunch of poor people.

My point is that you can make yourself more of a target for thieves, if they know you have a lot of money. Showing a Rolex, is just shouting out that you are wealthy. I'm just suggesting that it's better to be conservative, about your career, and financial status, with those that you don't really know.

Sorry, you're point remains lost on me.

I am likely one of the more conservative people you will meet and I am far from wealthy. Your analogy seems pointless to me. If you drive a nice car, you are more likely to be carjacked? Ok. Sure.

If a woman wears and nice diamond engagement ring and travels through a bad part of town, she's more likely to be mugged? Of, sure.

You seem to suggest that I somehow brought this on myself by temping a criminal? Sorry, don't buy what you're selling. I made a bad decision in entering this deal - something I know much better than you. But i did so with a well-known knife maker with a good reputation. I am not an idiot who walked into a bar and started showing off my Rolex amongst strangers.

I accept full responsibility for my bad choice in this matter so if that is somehow your point than seems rather pointless.

Agreed Dale and I see a great candidate for the Ignore function my friend

Agreed Dale and I see a great candidate for the Ignore function my friend

Indeed. Am beginning to reach that conclusion. Apparently I'm some rich guy who deserves exactly what he got by flaunting my "wealth." Silly me.

I just think that it's important to the thief. They can get more money, with less effort, if they target a wealthy person, rather than stealing from a bunch of poor people.
Stonesell: This is not a tale of the "haves" vs the "have-nots." Good grief. This is about one man breaking his word to another man... and choosing to steal that man's property. It's simple. Dustin has no excuse good enough that may justify his behavior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yup!! Just like the girl who had the gall to dress nice and got raped.
Makes sense.......in bizzaro world!

Indeed. Am beginning to reach that conclusion. Apparently I'm some rich guy who deserves exactly what he got by flaunting my "wealth." Silly me.

Some people just have to tear other down to make themselves feel better. :rolleyes: And I agree, Ignore list time.

I have no idea what point you are making but thanks for your contribution.

Dale, I mentioned in an earlier post your admirable efforts to continually re-focus the discussion, discourage speculation, and keep the commentary on point. To your other attributes let's add patience and tact. Nobody deserves to get screwed (well almost nobody), but it's hard to imagine anyone more deserving of a positive outcome than yourself.

Dale, I mentioned in an earlier post your admirable efforts to continually re-focus the discussion, discourage speculation, and keep the commentary on point. To your other attributes let's add patience and tact. Nobody deserves to get screwed (well almost nobody), but it's hard to imagine anyone more deserving of a positive outcome than yourself.

Thanks. Really appreciate the kind words.

Stonesell: This is not a tale of the "haves" vs the "have-nots." Good grief. This is about one man breaking his word to another man... and choosing to steal that man's property. It's simple. Dustin has no excuse good enough that may justify his behavior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You're right, I shouldn't be trying to make an unpopular point. I was just speculating on the circumstances, which doesn't really contribute to the thread. Thanks for your advice.

You're right, I shouldn't be trying to make an unpopular point. I was just speculating on the circumstances, which doesn't really contribute to the thread. Thanks for your advice.

Very thoughtful reply, sir. :thumbup:

Ops stated he's got a happy life and whether he's wealthy or not is his business but it doesn't change the fact he got ripped off .

IMHO everyone into higher end knives has to have at least a little disposable income otherwise we wouldn't be buying knives .

I'm sure some people don't manage money and buy knives before bills and all that but most of us have a little cushion and we spend extra on our hobbies . Just because it's a luxury item doesn't change the fact someone ripped another person off . If OP is successful like I said that's his business and what people don't understand about successful people is that they earned their success . Whether it be years of school and paying off huge student loan debts or working you rear end off 60+hours a week manual labor we all do what we haft to to get our cushion . Doesnt change the fact OP got ripped off . Anyone saying OP brought this on himself have a 5 minute private convo with the man . He's one of the good guys and has exercised a lot more patience and restraint than I would and more than most people I know .

Sorry, you're point remains lost on me.

I am likely one of the more conservative people you will meet and I am far from wealthy. Your analogy seems pointless to me. If you drive a nice car, you are more likely to be carjacked? Ok. Sure.

If a woman wears and nice diamond engagement ring and travels through a bad part of town, she's more likely to be mugged? Of, sure.

You seem to suggest that I somehow brought this on myself by temping a criminal? Sorry, don't buy what you're selling. I made a bad decision in entering this deal - something I know much better than you. But i did so with a well-known knife maker with a good reputation. I am not an idiot who walked into a bar and started showing off my Rolex amongst strangers.

I accept full responsibility for my bad choice in this matter so if that is somehow your point than seems rather pointless.

Sorry for being inappropriate to your thread. I'm just an older person trying to give advice to someone that seems less experienced. Because of the issues that I provoked, I will try to stay more on topic, and make useful contributions, instead of speculation, to future threads that I try to participate in.

Sorry for being inappropriate to your thread. I'm just an older person trying to give advice to someone that seems less experienced. Because of the issues that I provoked, I will try to stay more on topic, and make useful contributions, instead of speculation, to future threads that I try to participate in.

No worries, although, with respect, even the above comment seems a bit condescending, especially given the fact you know nothing about me, my age, life experience, etc. and seem to be forming an opinion based on extremely limited information.

That being said, I have received overwhelming support from forum members since this thread has been started, and I am grateful for that. There have also been a very few people who have instead suggested that this is a situation I brought entirely on myself and blamed me for the outcome.

Let me say again - for you and for anyone else who may feel like you seem to - I take full and complete responsibility for my part in this mess. In hindsight it was very poor judgment on my part. When agreeing to this deal, I actually spoke to a few close "knife" buddies about it and my concerns it might be a problem and pretty much everyone felt that a knifemaker who had such a visible presence, was making knives full time for a living, participated on all the forums, ect. Would not blow his entire professional reputation over a single deal like this. Hell, Turpin was getting $4-5k at auctions for his knives so he was not exactly a poor starving artist likely to "take the money and run."
But, at the end of the day, the guy has some real integrity issues.

As far as I am concerned, that is where the focus should be. YMMV.

No worries, although, with respect, even the above comment seems a bit condescending, especially given the fact you know nothing about me, my age, life experience, etc. and seem to be forming an opinion based on extremely limited information.

That being said, I have received overwhelming support from forum members since this thread has been started, and I am grateful for that. There have also been a very few people who have instead suggested that this is a situation I brought entirely on myself and blamed me for the outcome.

Let me say again - for you and for anyone else who may feel like you seem to - I take full and complete responsibility for my part in this mess. In hindsight it was very poor judgment on my part. When agreeing to this deal, I actually spoke to a few close "knife" buddies about it and my concerns it might be a problem and pretty much everyone felt that a knifemaker who had such a visible presence, was making knives full time for a living, participated on all the forums, ect. Would not blow his entire professional reputation over a single deal like this. Hell, Turpin was getting $4-5k at auctions for his knives so he was not exactly a poor starving artist likely to "take the money and run."
But, at the end of the day, the guy has some real integrity issues.

As far as I am concerned, that is where the focus should be. YMMV.

Not trying to be condescending, but I am overly cynical at times. Your experience surely proves the risks involved, when you pay someone upfront, even if they have a good reputation. It's too bad that most knifemakers don't take credit cards, which would give the buyer some greater element of control, or at least a paper trail. Perhaps Dustin is confident that you will have difficulty in proving the Rolex transaction, if there ever was a court case. Assuming that your documentation is good, you may want to remind Dustin about his income tax liability; he probably forgot to declare the Rolex as income, in which case it would be simpler for him to settle with you, rather than dealing with the IRS. If a court order would allow you to subpoena his business and tax records, it would help your case either way. If the Rolex was declared, it strengthens your claim that he received it, and if the he didn't declare it, then perhaps the judge may choose to forward a copy of the court docket to the IRS. I'm just wondering if this might be a way to compel him to refund the value that was paid, and avoid all the proceedings. If a fraudulent return is found, the IRS, can and will go back to look at the last seven years, of a business owner's returns.

Last edited:
PayPal payment can be funded by a credit card ("change") results in the same protection to the buyer as paying directly with a credit card. The time limit for challenging the payment with the credit card company varies but does not run to years. Mine is 180 days. Method of challenge is usually by snail mail to a special address. Obviously, no help as to "payment" in goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back