• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be condescending, but I am overly cynical at times. Your experience surely proves the risks involved, when you pay someone upfront, even if they have a good reputation. It's too bad that most knifemakers don't take credit cards, which would give the buyer some greater element of control, or at least a paper trail. Perhaps Dustin is confident that you will have difficulty in proving the Rolex transaction, if there ever was a court case. Assuming that your documentation is good, you may want to remind Dustin about his income tax liability; he probably forgot to declare the Rolex as income, in which case it would be simpler for him to settle with you, rather than dealing with the IRS. If a court order would allow you to subpoena his business and tax records, it would help your case either way. If the Rolex was declared, it strengthens your claim that he received it, and if the he didn't declare it, then perhaps the judge may choose to forward a copy of the court docket to the IRS. I'm just wondering if this might be a way to compel him to refund the value that was paid, and avoid all the proceedings. If a fraudulent return is found, the IRS, can and will go back to look at the last seven years, of a business owner's returns.

Please go back and read #663 ...........take your own comment to heart............ let it go; not sure you continue to do yourself any good here and it's not on topic. At least that is what my experience is telling me.;)

Please go back and read #663 ...........take your own comment to heart............ let it go; not sure you continue to do yourself any good here and it's not on topic. At least that is what my experience is telling me.;)
I was just trying to come up with an idea that might get the OP his money back. But you are right, this is not my area of expertise, so I will stop posting here. Sometimes I have trouble understanding what is appropriate, in order to stay on topic. Also, and I'm sure it's obvious, but I really have very little experience posting on forums. Bladeforums is actually the only place that I've ever tried. Sorry for those that I have offended, and thank you for your helpful advice. I will do better if I stick with sales, and avoid too many social comments.

Last edited:
On a slightly positive note...only just mind you...knives made by Turpin are now sitting on the forums and in many cases, if they do sell, they sell for much less than before. I think that this thread along with IG has helped to make this a reality. Dustin could remedy this very quickly...if he so desired. Sadly (and obviously) that desire is not currently there (nor do I feel it will ever return). I was one of the people that paid a deposit to get on his "list"...needless to say I haven't seen anything other than whining and broken promises. Dale...thank you so much for bringing this to light and for also not just "letting it go"...this guy should not be making a living from knife making until he clears up his past. I hope he makes you whole one day...either by making the promised knives, by returning the watch or with cash. Thank you again!!! :thumbup:

On a slightly positive note...only just mind you...knives made by Turpin are now sitting on the forums and in many cases, if they do sell, they sell for much less than before. I think that this thread along with IG has helped to make this a reality. Dustin could remedy this very quickly...if he so desired. Sadly (and obviously) that desire is not currently there (nor do I feel it will ever return). I was one of the people that paid a deposit to get on his "list"...needless to say I haven't seen anything other than whining and broken promises. Dale...thank you so much for bringing this to light and for also not just "letting it go"...this guy should not be making a living from knife making until he clears up his past. I hope he makes you whole one day...either by making the promised knives, by returning the watch or with cash. Thank you again!!! :thumbup:

Thanks, my friend. I am stubborn, and even more so when I am deliberately taken advantage of. I don't intend to let it go until resolved one way or another. It's kind of funny, a "high-profile" knife collector has been posting all over IG today about being ripped off for about $50 in a lottery. Everyone is reposting his situation but this same collector seemed to have zero outrage at my own situation which involves thousands of dollars. I guess people (some anyway) really only give a shit when they are the victim.

Or who's butt is bleeding.
These spoiled, entitled brats make me nauseous.
I don't do IG, but I can imagine the sycophants boo hooing for the poor unfortunate soul.
Joe

Thanks, my friend. I am stubborn, and even more so when I am deliberately taken advantage of. I don't intend to let it go until resolved one way or another. It's kind of funny, a "high-profile" knife collector has been posting all over IG today about being ripped off for about $50 in a lottery. Everyone is reposting his situation but this same collector seemed to have zero outrage at my own situation which involves thousands of dollars. I guess people (some anyway) really only give a shit when they are the victim.

Or when they have something to gain by giving a shit.

Skelton posted a pic of one of his DT knives up on Instagram. I politely tried to relay how 'bad form' this was in posting a known thief's wares. Jim deleted my post. He decided to publicly get involved and comment on the owed knives progress. He cannot just turn off his input now, when it suits. Skelton has a long history of ripping off forumites in his own right.

Lawfor, I tried to defend your honour as best I could. It is a hard task when the people you are up against have none.

Sounds like DT is giving Skelton a reacharound in between mutual tromboning sessions.

I was getting fed up looking at Skeltons crappy new Panerai anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skelton posted a pic of one of his DT knives up on Instagram. I politely tried to relay how 'bad form' this was in posting a known thief's wares. Jim deleted my post. He decided to publicly get involved and comment on the owed knives progress. He cannot just turn off his input now, when it suits. Skelton has a long history of ripping off forumites in his own right.

Lawfor, I tried to defend your honour as best I could. It is a hard task when the people you are up against have none.

Sounds like DT is giving Skelton a reacharound in between mutual tromboning sessions.

I was getting fed up looking at Skeltons crappy new Panerai anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally can't stand Skelton, and find him a shill for misc knife makers that need pimped.

I just checked his IG account and, man, is he getting railed on there. He even posted a sob story rant. When I checked, that post had over 160 comments, the majority of them calling him out.

That's his public account. He has another one that you have to be invited to see, but I don't know if he's active on that one either. I'm curious how he's spending his days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back