• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the 'father in law' actually exsist ?, if so does he realize that a very generous gift is tainted property.

Legal action is always possible but I truly would prefer to see him do the right thing. I don't feel like investing more time and aggravation in this mess if I can avoid it.

Well why don't you just chalk it up as a loss then and move on? This thread served the purpose of letting everyone know what happened. You don't want to go any further than you have, Dustin the thief isn't making your knives, it's now a dead end situation if you don't take further action.

Well why don't you just chalk it up as a loss then and move on? This thread served the purpose of letting everyone know what happened. You don't want to go any further than you have, Dustin the thief isn't making your knives, it's now a dead end situation if you don't take further action.

Thanks for the advice.

The hardest knife for a maker to build is one that is already paid for.

You should meet him at blade or the Gathering and pick the 2 best knives off of his table for yourself.

Ditto. ^

I'm old school I guess. I get paid when the work is done. Plus, if something happens and I ever have to miss a commitment, there is only MY money and time invested, not the customer.

^ Easy for you to say. It's not your $3500+ dollars that we're taking about.

My point is, he's said repeatedly that he's not going to take the matter any further. Legal action seems to be about the only thing that may kick Turpin in the butt to make the knives or refund the payment, whether it's cash or send the watch back.

And you guys are right, it's not my $3500, because if it was, the police and a lawyer would have been involved a long time ago. Not just repeatedly posting messages to BF, Facebook, IG and whatever else. Guess I care about my money a lot more than the OP because I'd be fighting a hell of a lot harder to get it back.

Okay, so money is gone promises were made, deadlines missed by going on 2 years and change. What is being done about this, anything? If not, complaining isn't going to bring resolution to the matter. I agree with Jsega51, if a knifemaker took me for $3,500 I'd be showing up at Blade with a local lawyer and as much evidence as I had in hand for starters.

Okay, so money is gone promises were made, deadlines missed by going on 2 years and change. What is being done about this, anything? If not, complaining isn't going to bring resolution to the matter. I agree with Jsega51, if a knifemaker took me for $3,500 I'd be showing up at Blade with a local lawyer and as much evidence as I had in hand for starters.

The OP very well may never see a dime of his money, or receive the knives Dustin promised (in fact I'd be willing to bet on it). Regardless, the OP's way of handling this situation, has cost (and will continue to cost), Dustin much more than $3500 in future revenue. And how do you put a price on his permanently damaged reputation, and stress? The internet, & social media, in Dustin Turpin Knives case, is a double edge sword! Damned if you do...damned if you don't! More reason to keep this thread active.

Legal action by the OP, would eat up $3500 very quickly. It doesn't appear that Dustin Turpin will be at Blade. Does anyone know differently? With Blade only a couple of weeks away, this is all the more reason for the OP to keep is issue & the Rolex Dustin stole, at the forefront!

I hope that a stupid watch was worth it, for Dustin.

Legal action is always possible but I truly would prefer to see him do the right thing. I don't feel like investing more time and aggravation in this mess if I can avoid it.

Start hammering him with demand letters. Certified and registered. Much better than e-mails

The OP very well may never see a dime of his money, or receive the knives Dustin promised (in fact I'd be willing to bet on it). Regardless, the OP's way of handling this situation, has cost (and will continue to cost), Dustin much more than $3500 in future revenue. And how do you put a price on his permanently damaged reputation, and stress? The internet, & social media, in Dustin Turpin Knives case, is a double edge sword! Damned if you do...damned if you don't! More reason to keep this thread active.

Legal action by the OP, would eat up $3500 very quickly. It doesn't appear that Dustin Turpin will be at Blade. Does anyone know differently? With Blade only a couple of weeks away, this is all the more reason for the OP to keep is issue & the Rolex Dustin stole, at the forefront!

I hope that a stupid watch was worth it, for Dustin.

Dustin did all the damage he need on his own, this thread only showed one segment of the community what he has been up to. I don't know about anyone else, but as I said I would be moving the Earth to get my stuff or my money back. I know not everyone would be willing to, but I think after 2 years I would probably say screw it and move on. The dealers that sell his stuff and are members here and on other forums would be a good starting place to find out. You are right, this thread will live on the forums forever, nothing can prevent that. It's probably already been cached somewhere for posterity. We can't necessarily just keep a thread alive to hammer the board long after the nail has vanished though.

I think it is admirable that you have given DT the opportunity to make things right. Unfortunately, it looks like he has taken that opportunity to just make more excuses. I highly urge you to file a consumer fraud complaint with Arizona. https://consumer-complaint.azag.gov/publiccomplaint/begin.aspx

"Consumer fraud, as defined by Arizona law, is any deception, unfair act or practice, false statement, false pretense, false promise or misrepresentation made by a seller or advertiser of merchandise. In addition, concealment, suppression or failure to disclose a material fact may be consumer fraud if it is done with the intent that others rely on such concealment, suppression or nondisclosure. Merchandise may include any objects, wares, goods, commodities, intangibles, real estate or services.

The Arizona Attorney General has the authority to bring actions alleging violations of the Consumer Fraud Act and other state and federal consumer protection laws.
"

Last edited:
My point is, he's said repeatedly that he's not going to take the matter any further. Legal action seems to be about the only thing that may kick Turpin in the butt to make the knives or refund the payment, whether it's cash or send the watch back.

And you guys are right, it's not my $3500, because if it was, the police and a lawyer would have been involved a long time ago. Not just repeatedly posting messages to BF, Facebook, IG and whatever else. Guess I care about my money a lot more than the OP because I'd be fighting a hell of a lot harder to get it back.

Actually, I did not say - ever - that I was not planning to take the matter further, you might wish to reread my post. What I did say was that legal action is possible but that I preferred to resolve the matter without the need for legal action. While you might have decided to handle this situation differently than I have, I hope you can respect my own choices without judging them compared to what you would do.

In any event, I am grateful that forums like this exist where the knife community can be made aware of the facts. As far as I am concerned, there is value in making a situation public on BF or IG. Will it resolve it? Maybe not. But Turpin did respond in a fashion a couple of days ago and there is no doubt in my mind that it would not have happened if he were not feeling some pressure from posts like this to tell his side, such as it is. There is a saying, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

In any event, it sounds like you have strong feelings and would prefer not to keep reading about this situation and I certainly respect that. I guess if the forum mods believe that keeping this thread open is the wrong thing to do, it will be closed and I'll respect that decision, too.

Thanks.

Hey, no hard feelings at all here. I hope it all works out and you get made whole. Good luck!

Dustin did all the damage he need on his own, this thread only showed one segment of the community what he has been up to. I don't know about anyone else, but as I said I would be moving the Earth to get my stuff or my money back. I know not everyone would be willing to, but I think after 2 years I would probably say screw it and move on. The dealers that sell his stuff and are members here and on other forums would be a good starting place to find out. You are right, this thread will live on the forums forever, nothing can prevent that. It's probably already been cached somewhere for posterity. We can't necessarily just keep a thread alive to hammer the board long after the nail has vanished though.

I gotta agree with Rev on this . OP is probably the nicest guy I've ever seen that has been scammed for that much money .

Fact is Dustin is taking advantage of your kindness . I know in 99% of situations you catch more flies with honey than vinegar ,however those 1% need a little vinegar in their life.

Op longer this drags on the more it could seem like you weren't all that interested in a solution ,we know you want your stuff and we see how you've chosen to handle it but that POS maker can spin it like your kindness was more of a not care .

Dustin deserves whatever fury you can conjure up .

Op if you have the resources to come to blade remember our pm conversation? they practice in GA we are all going to blade it'd be nice to meet you...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back