• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one need to link him here, so this maker knows he is doing irreparable harm to his reputation.

In my neck of the woods, felony theft is met at the $750 level.

Taking 7k from some one makes my blood boil. Especially when you can see him still selling knives to everyone but the person who has already paid.

Some one needs to contact his father, and let him know he is rocking a stolen Rolex as well.

I sent him a text today letting him know about this post. He is aware. Technically, since he finally delivered 2 of the 4 knives, he only owes approx $3500. More than enough to bring legal action if he still refuses to make it right. Thanks for reading.

If it were myself, I would just stop at this point and let him know that I no longer want the other 2 knives, and I would accept a cashiers check for $3500 within the week, or I will be taking legal action with the authorities in his state. This is unacceptable. It sounds as if you have been more than fair with the situation, and now it's time for its conclusion/resolution. I would also stress to him that this is the cheapest route, unless he would also like to pay the legal fees when you win.

The hardest knife for a maker to build is one that is already paid for.

You should meet him at blade or the Gathering and pick the 2 best knives off of his table for yourself.

Man, I know that's true. While I've never had an issue anywhere near this one...I have graciously payed for services ahead of the completion only to realize the service provider then took longer than expected.

If travel expenses weren't an issue, I'd be all for your idea haha.

Thank you for sharing. I truly hope this turns out well for you somehow, someway.

I have told him about this post and I hope he will make this right. If he refuses, I guess I will have no choice other than to look into legal avenues. He did respond earlier today via text but I won't repeat his comments here as they don't really help anything.

Please understand that I am not advocating confrontation nor am I trying to harm his rep (I think he's sort of doing that on his own but people can form their own opinions and reach their own conclusions) I am just trying to get the situation resolved and to get the rest of the knives I paid for. Thanks, all.

I would be interested to know what he said. Did he plead sickness or some other general distress, or did he get angry with you for exposing his unethical business practices? Regardless, there is no way I will ever spend my money with him after this. It is really too bad, as he is one of the makers that was on my list to look at while at Blade this year...

After being told of this thread why on earth would he not show up? Man you have some pataince over this situation many that's some serious dough hats off to you. I really hope he explains himself seems basic courtesy is lacking here lately.

Hopefully you will get your two other knives. You just learned a painful lesson. That's something I've done more than once...Learning the hard way. You sound like a good person. He doesn't.

Not going to defend Dustin Turpin at all here, but I think your problem started when you tried to get a knife from him when his books were closed. If you believe what most knifemakers say, in that they're living hand to mouth because knifemaking doesn't make much money, dangling a $7.5k carrot in front of their mouth can only lead to trouble.

But then again, one also probably expects someone to keep their word so there's not really an excuse for his behavior.

Last edited:
Not going to defend Dustin Turpin at all here, but I think your problem started when you tried to get a knife from him when his books were closed. If you believe what most knifemakers say, in that they're living hand to mouth because knifemaking doesn't make much money, dangling a $7.5k carrot in front of their mouth can only lead to trouble.

But then again, one also probably expects someone to keep their word there's not really an excuse for his behavior.

Thanks for your comments. In hindsight, the entire thing was ill-advised but hindsight, as they say...

Wow, this totally sucks. The op has been much kinder in language than the situation deserves. Hope all works out for you. But I won't hold my breath. [emoji16]

••••••••••••••••••••
People are Strange, When You're a Stranger....

I contacted a known knifemaker in December 2013 and after a $40 deposit, was added to his books for a specific model. I was told the wait time to be 7 months before my turn.
I'm still waiting for the knife now (28 months later). When I contact him by mail or DM message in instagram I only receive excuses.
And at the same time I see auctions and new knives models delivered to other customers.
That sucks...I'm beginning to suspect it's because when I ordered the knife, the pricing of this knifemaker was low enough for me to afford the order. And now this knifemaker is more famous with increased prices and perhaps he is reluctant to build this relatively low priced knife for me? Just an hypothesis.

You should meet him at blade or the Gathering and pick the 2 best knives off of his table for yourself.

Amen. If I were you OP, I'd do exactly that. I'd just walk up, pick the two I wanted up off the table and say "oh, these must be the ones you made for me. Thanks A-hole."

But then again, one also probably expects someone to keep their word so there's not really an excuse for his behavior.

Books closed or not- he wanted the watch and made a deal and a promise. It doesn't look good for DT!

I would be interested to know what he said. Did he plead sickness or some other general distress, or did he get angry with you for exposing his unethical business practices? Regardless, there is no way I will ever spend my money with him after this. It is really too bad, as he is one of the makers that was on my list to look at while at Blade this year...

Basically he accused me of trying to "bash" his reputation while using some choice language that shouldn't be repeated. He claims he always intended to complete the knives but did not offer to tell me when he plans to do so. It took over a year to get the first half and he has broken so many of his promises that his statement means very little to me any more. I just don't believe what he says. But, once again, if he does step up and do the right thing -- and I hope that he does -- I will gladly update this post and let everyone know he has made it right.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to read and comment. I hate having to bother folks with this but I wanted people to know.

If this is true, we can count yet another completely reprehensible low life among the ranks of custom knife makers. It's a massive insult to the community, and especially to all the stand-up makers out there who wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

If this is true, we can count yet another completely reprehensible low life among the ranks of custom knife makers. It's a massive insult to the community, and especially to all the stand-up makers out there who wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

Well, unfortunately, I can assure you it is very true. I saved every email and text that has been exchanged over the past two years documenting both the agreement and all the broken promises that followed.

It's funny how he's turning this situation into you screwing him for starting this thread when he's completely bent you over and never looked back.

It's funny how he's turning this situation into you screwing him for starting this thread when he's completely bent you over and never looked back.

This was the message I received after letting him know that things could not continue the way they were going and that I was posting what had happened.

IMG_6482.jpg

I just posted his response, you can judge for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back