• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very curious if Dustin's ever going to do knife shows again. I hope to see him in person at some point so I can ask him what he plans to do about the outstanding orders.

If he ever does blade and OP is not made whole by the next one then my offer still stands to approach the table and get 2 knives for him .

He says no or makes a scene let's just say I have a big mouth and don't embarrass easily . Every person at the show will know what he did and I'll make sure he leaves the show with exactly what he came with , maybe minus 2

I'll be at the Gathering and TKI. If he ends up at either as an official vendor or just brown bagging I'll make sure everyone knows what's going on with him.

If he ever does blade and OP is not made whole by the next one then my offer still stands to approach the table and get 2 knives for him .

He says no or makes a scene let's just say I have a big mouth and don't embarrass easily . Every person at the show will know what he did and I'll make sure he leaves the show with exactly what he came with , maybe minus 2

This is one of the (many) reasons I love BF. We are a small community, but it is good to see people willing to stand up for and help other members out if needed. Lots of really good people here, and we have one another's backs.

Oh I'd be happy to help ya out on that one for sure no filter when it comes to asshats like Dustin

Has anyone considered that maybe Jim is being burned by Dustin too? I mean theyre friends, so when this first started im sure Jim asked him what was going on and im guessing he was lied to. Probably why he hasnt spoke on it at all afterwards. I mean if you have a friend that does something like what Dustin has done im sure youre not happy about it but would you start publicly shaming him even if he deserved it? Im guessing probably not. Also ive read the cigar forum posts and honestly im not going to judge someone including Jim for something that happen 15 years ago. I havent heard of him ripping anyone off in the knife community so why are some of you so quick to pile him in with Dustins actions?

Has anyone considered that maybe Jim is being burned by Dustin too? I mean theyre friends, so when this first started im sure Jim asked him what was going on and im guessing he was lied to. Probably why he hasnt spoke on it at all afterwards. I mean if you have a friend that does something like what Dustin has done im sure youre not happy about it but would you start publicly shaming him even if he deserved it? Im guessing probably not. Also ive read the cigar forum posts and honestly im not going to judge someone including Jim for something that happen 15 years ago. I havent heard of him ripping anyone off in the knife community so why are some of you so quick to pile him in with Dustins actions?

I don't keep friends who, number one, lie to me, and two, are thieves... and shaming them would hardly be a debate for me. I'd shame the ever-lovin' hell out of them.

Please remember, Jim inserted himself as a messenger for Dustin early on in this debacle, and has since gone quiet. Jim's choice to do so was his alone, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was with the best of intentions (as I said previously). Let's also recall that Jim sends Dale a message regarding the knives being on Dustin's bench "...in different states of completion." Vague? Yes, definitely, but Jim's statement clearly indicates to Dale that he has some hope of finally receiving his overdue knives. If this is what Dustin told Jim, I would hope Jim went back at some point to find out what progress has been made. If at some point he learned Dustin was blowing smoke up his ass (as I suspect), then I would hope Jim could see that he was lied to by Dustin as well, and then let Dale know. According to Dale, that has not happened.

Again, if you are correct then I must assume Jim's OK with having friends who lie to him, especially regarding theft of property/monies. That is unfortunate but that is his affair. I think Jim's behavior/judgement regarding this situation is why many have some criticisms, justifiable or not. For the record, I have spoken to Jim many times dating back to mid-2013. I have done business with him on several occasions and have also met Jim in person. He was honorable in all his deals with me, was entirely friendly and pleasant throughout, and he did not strike me as someone who is prone to being played (and neither am I). Honestly, I have no problems with Jim whatsoever... except for this situation. If he knows Dustin is lying--or has lied--about the status of Dale's knives, he needs to correct the record and say so publicly and to Dale--because it is the right thing to do. Basically, I'll boil it down to this for anyone still doing business with Dustin Turpin, including Jim Skelton: If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that many of these scammers have a meth habit. They start using to control weight, or gain energy and concentration for all night projects, and busy schedules, then their whole life spins out of control, when the rational part of their brain stops working correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that many of these scammers have a meth habit. They start using to control weight, or gain energy and concentration for all night projects, and busy schedules, then their whole life spins out of control, when the rational part of their brain stops working correctly.

With respect, I want to keep this thread on target and fact-based. I have no idea why Turpin has done what he has done and I don't really care. All I know are the facts - he has lied repeatedly, broken every promise he has made, owes me about $3,500 (at least) and despite this situation going on now for years, has made zero effort to make it right. The reasons why don't really matter.

Couldn't agree more Dale. I'm pretty sure you've heard every excuse under the sun by now.
Tell you one thing I learned because of all of this......J Skelton is one hell of a piece of work!
Wow
Joe

Couldn't agree more Dale. I'm pretty sure you've heard every excuse under the sun by now.
Tell you one thing I learned because of all of this......J Skelton is one hell of a piece of work!
Wow
Joe

Agreed, If random people are like me, skeltons reputation is tarnished as well.

With respect, I want to keep this thread on target and fact-based. I have no idea why Turpin has done what he has done and I don't really care. All I know are the facts - he has lied repeatedly, broken every promise he has made, owes me about $3,500 (at least) and despite this situation going on now for years, has made zero effort to make it right. The reasons why don't really matter.
Perhaps I speculate too much, but the fact is that a majority of monetary crimes are drug related. I live in a high meth use area, so that is what comes to mind, when I hear about scammers. If you are serious about pursuing action against Dustin, you may want to consider paying a private investigator to get you information, that can be used to your advantage, in some future move to catch him off guard. Also, if you dangle a Rolex in front of a person that can't afford one, they may think that you are showing off, and respect you less for it.

Last edited:
The hardest knife for a maker to build is one that is already paid for.

You should meet him at blade or the Gathering and pick the 2 best knives off of his table for yourself.

This is what I would do. Try to track him down to his next show, go there, and pick up the two nicest blades. Introduce yourself to him, and then just walk away......

Also, if you dangle a Rolex in front of a person that can't afford one, they may think that you are showing off, and respect you less for it.

Not sure exactly what you are saying here but thanks for your contribution. I don't and didn't "dangle a Rolex" in front of anyone - this was not a lure to trick Turpin. It was an opportunity for him to get the watch, not by having to pay cash for it which he obviously could not do, but to make knives. I have worked like an animal since the age of 15 when I got my first "rea" part-time job and anything nice that I own is the product of that hard work.

Every time I see a post on this thread I am always hoping it is a post that says this has finally been resolved. Dale you don't deserve to have gone through this, no one does.
Dustin I promise if you be a man take responsibility for what you did,apologize, and give Dale what he is owed this will be forgotten so quick.
Straight up I want to buy a Strife so bad but refuse to do so until Dale is taken care of.
Dustin wake up this is not going away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what OJ did. Ask him how self-help worked out.

Exactly my thoughts. First, Turpin will not, I'm sure, be showing up at any shows in the near future. Second, the law does not permit you to use "self help" in the way you suggest and my own reputation is far more important than the knives he owes me.

Not sure exactly what you are saying here but thanks for your contribution. I don't and didn't "dangle a Rolex" in front of anyone - this was not a lure to trick Turpin. It was an opportunity for him to get the watch, not by having to pay cash for it which he obviously could not do, but to make knives. I have worked like an animal since the age of 15 when I got my first "rea" part-time job and anything nice that I own is the product of that hard work.

A Rolex is a symbol of wealth, that few average people can afford. Whether or not your intention was to demonstrate your affluence, that is what it looks like. A dishonest person may be able to justify taking money from the rich, more easily than stealing from those with little resources. The fact that you worked hard, and deserve what you have, means very little to someone who is trying to take advantage of you.

A Rolex is a symbol of wealth, that few average people can afford. Whether or not your intention was to demonstrate your affluence, that is what it looks like. A dishonest person may be able to justify taking money from the rich, more easily than stealing from those with little resources. The fact that you worked hard, and deserve what you have, means very little to someone trying to take advantage of a you.

I have no idea what point you are making but thanks for your contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back