• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped Off by Dustin Turpin Knives– Deal with Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i google search "turpin knives" this thread doesnt show up on the first page. If i google search "dustin turpin" it comes up third. Title of this thread doesnt include "knives"...thats why it doesnt come up.

This is messed up. Thanks for letting the knife community know. Hope you get some satisfaction.

So, another update. Although Dustin has not chosen to make things right or even to address his actions to the one person most impacted, he did decide to post on IG this. Post below.

b6de650a27f8cebe695c3cd5f1218529.jpg

6f2d608448f733be6cc8f5eabd1dd832.jpg

402ef222ff34984bcc97aed239f41ca0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My life could not get any worse, my health could not get any worse, my medical expenses just keep building
BUT every deal I engage in I fulfill my part with integrity, honor and dignity.

There is no excuse for any less.

Wow, sad to see. Looks like people in the comments are defending him without even doing any research on the topic. Depression and anxiety suck, but don't give you an excuse to more or less steal $3,500 (after he gave you the first 2 knives). I do think there is a good chance you'll get your other two knives (at least I hope you do), but the fact that it got to this point is unacceptable. He should be bending over backwards to make things right, and he is now painting you out to be a villain.

My life could not get any worse, my health could not get any worse, my medical expenses just keep building
BUT every deal I engage in I fulfill my part with integrity, honor and dignity.

There is no excuse for any less.
Very well said Wolf. have we all heard this before time and time again??
Been in business, HVAC, for over 35 years. You think a long time customer of mine cares if I'm depressed when his walk in freezer is warm with $50,000 worth of meat inside?? Nope.
I also will never take payment up front for anything.
No one wants to hear that garbage......just get the stuff done.
Joe

This maker is dead wrong, and as Wolf said, he really has no excuse. But this is the second thread I've read in as many days where guys gave a maker very significant sums of money based on nothing but faith. Seems to me, they have no excuse either. It's plain silliness. It's your money, keep it until you have the knife in your hand, you're inspected it, and it's what you specified, then give the man his money. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is if you specify certain very expensive material, such as ivory, etc. With all that said...I certainly hope the OP gets satisfaction. You should not have waited so long.

Last edited:
This maker is dead wrong, and as Wolf said, he really has no excuse. But this is the second thread I've read in as many days where guys gave a maker very significant sums of money based on nothing but faith. Seems to me, they have no excuse either. It's plain silliness. It's your money, keep it until you have the knife in your hand, you're inspected it, and it's what you specified, then give the man his money. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is if you specify certain very expensive material, such as ivory, etc. With all that said...I certainly hope the OP gets satisfaction. You should not have waited so long.

Thanks. You are right, it was an expensive mistake I won't make again. I was torn about it at the time but assumed that his reputation was important enough to him that he'd honor his word.

As a human being I would say wow .. I'm sorry Dustin for your issues and I hope you can shake it off and become a happy person again , I have suffered over the years with "something" I didn't know what until later in life .. It was a sort of depression or whatever name they want to put on it. But that's where my sympathy ends. I am a self employed contractor . So if I don't produce my family doesn't eat and my shit gets taken away. I have zero tolerance for bullshit in any form . You don't feel right ?? Well its up to you to get it fixed . Don't lay this crap out on social media . Go to the bank and take out a loan .. Better yet get one of your dealers to front the money . Make a dealer a sweetheart deal to get this man whole . Apologizing is what you should be doing and very humbly at that . Don't play the sympathy card . I can say this with a clear mind because I have been in your shoes . I know what its like .. now get up get your shit together .

As a human being I would say wow .. I'm sorry Dustin for your issues and I hope you can shake it off and become a happy person again , I have suffered over the years with "something" I didn't know what until later in life .. It was a sort of depression or whatever name they want to put on it. But that's where my sympathy ends. I am a self employed contractor . So if I don't produce my family doesn't eat and my shit gets taken away. I have zero tolerance for bullshit in any form . You don't feel right ?? Well its up to you to get it fixed . Don't lay this crap out on social media . Go to the bank and take out a loan .. Better yet get one of your dealers to front the money . Make a dealer a sweetheart deal to get this man whole . Apologizing is what you should be doing and very humbly at that . Don't play the sympathy card . I can say this with a clear mind because I have been in your shoes . I know what its like .. now get up get your shit together .

I'm sure he is dealing with some of those issues but the fact is, over the years this deal has been going on, he hasn't let his depression stop him from making knife after knife for shows, dealers, other high-profile collectors, auctions, etc. So not to sound unsympathetic but I don't buy it. If the guy just couldn't work at all, maybe that would be different and I would have handled this differently but he has broken promise after promise, always with another excuse why he couldn't finish the knives he was paid for. Frankly, I just couldn't accept his behavior any more. I truly tried to be understanding for a very very very long time.

I am pulling for you .. I just wish I could help you . Total stall tactics . Your totally within your right to bring this public . And I am amazed that he just keeps at it and acts like he isn't making anything .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why in the world would anyone believe this "I'm so depressed..." nonsense when he has a long and well documented history of straight up lying?

When the only thing that will save a pathological liars life is telling the truth, they'll tell a lie. The thing is people don't have to buy into the lies. Just know that he's lying constantly and always keep that in mind when dealing with him.

The burden of proof is on the liar, not the people they're lying to.

OP: You've been a stand up guy through this and I understand why you brought it to the public. I sincerely hope this unfortunate situation gets resolved.

MODS: I implore you to close this thread. The buyer has expressed his case, the maker has responded (on IG). What more can we do here? All of the dog-piling by people who have nothing to do with the transaction is just toxic. Speculation and name smearing is not going to help the situation. Unless OP has a meaningful update, there is no need to drag this thread out.

...but the fact is, over the years this deal has been going on, he hasn't let his depression stop him from making knife after knife for shows, dealers, other high-profile collectors, auctions, etc. So not to sound unsympathetic but I don't buy it...

I agree with this 100%. Regardless of his "issues," (which seem awful convenient), he has made choice after choice to make knives for others when he needed more money, and ignore his commitment to you... maybe because he already have your money? The simple fact is that he has not fulfilled his commitment to you and kept your money. That makes him a thief.

Hi Dustin. Pay the man what you owe him.

Sweeping it under the rug and waiting for the stench to pass won't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back