Rit Dye Brown G10 Advice Needed

Hi BF fam,

I am about to purchase a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Brown, Blade Blade, S35VN.

Model number is C81GPBK2

I personally am not the biggest fan of the brown G10 scales so i am thinking of dying it with Rit Dye to get a Navy blue look. Worst case it doesn't come out right I'll dye them black.

1. Do you think it's possible with such a dark brown to attain a Navy blue? Assuming it's a darker blue then the brown.

2. Which rit dye would you suggest? Green? Dark blue?

3. Can you rit dye over it if it fails and turns out green or something?

Any advice would be appreciated.

L.C

Is it this model (see pic below)? If so, then I would say yes you can do Navy blue. Navy is a dark color, so I would be confident that it will work. Brown and Navy will not make green, so don't worry about that. I have Rit dyed many sets of G10 scales, including Spyderco's G10. It's not difficult, but make sure you get the SYNTHETIC dye. That's what you want for G10, and really clean the scales well with soap/water and rubbing alcohol.

By far the hardest part will be removing the scales from the knife. I'm not saying that it's difficult, just saying it will be harder than the dye part. I've heard of people dunking the whole knife in a boiling pot of water and Rit dye, but I can't bring myself to do that. Rust behind the liners is the last thing I want.

3nanrO1.jpg

I did my brown Spyderco Southard with the navy blue and it turned out really nice. Go for it.

Does RIT dye cured fiberglass and resin, or just temporarily stain the surface?

Since G10 is cured fiberglass (like a Chevy Corvette's body) I'd suggest sanding/scuffing, and painting. It'll last/wear longer.

No reason to scuff the scales. Just use Rit Dye "Synthetic" and it works great.

I've done it successfully many, many times. Just remember you can dye a lighter color to a darker color, but not vice versa.

spyderco-paralimitary-2-brown-Black-C81GPBNBK2-BHQ-92723-jr-black-hardware-large.jpg
Is it this model (see pic below)? If so, then I would say yes you can do Navy blue. Navy is a dark color, so I would be confident that it will work. Brown and Navy will not make green, so don't worry about that. I have Rit dyed many sets of G10 scales, including Spyderco's G10. It's not difficult, but make sure you get the SYNTHETIC dye. That's what you want for G10, and really clean the scales well with soap/water and rubbing alcohol.

By far the hardest part will be removing the scales from the knife. I'm not saying that it's difficult, just saying it will be harder than the dye part. I've heard of people dunking the whole knife in a boiling pot of water and Rit dye, but I can't bring myself to do that. Rust behind the liners is the last thing I want.

3nanrO1.jpg
Nice super helpful. There are different shades of brown online but the exact knife is below.

Does RIT dye cured fiberglass and resin, or just temporarily stain the surface?

Since G10 is cured fiberglass (like a Chevy Corvette's body) I'd suggest sanding/scuffing, and painting. It'll last/wear longer.

The RIT DyeMore (for synthetics) will actually dye the resin itself. If you use boiling water, it will penetrate deep enough so you won't need to worry about normal wear and tear leaving spots, although I can't say that it'll go through the full thickness of the scales. G-10 is just Micarta made with glass cloth instead of linen or burlap or another more standard textile.

Also, Corvettes have been made from sheet-molded composite since 1973. Since at least C5 (including my 2002 Z06), GM's SMC used short, 1" strands of glass fiber rather than glass cloth sprinkled on top of a layer of dough-like resin paste, which is then pressed together to form the sheet. The sheets of SMC "dough" are then used to fill heated dies. I don't believe any vacuum is used with SMC. Old-school fiberglass bodies have much more glass compared to SMC.

Learned something new today......
I thought you could only dye light to dark.
So.......you can make brown to navy blue.....interesting.

Learned something new today......
I thought you could only dye light to dark.
So.......you can make brown to navy blue.....interesting.

I think it's just that Spyderco's brown is light enough to be able to dye. Like the one pictured, it's more like FDE than "brown."

Back