RIT Dye coming off my Salt 2

I dyed my Salt 2 with Tangerine Orange RIT dye that came in the bottle a couple of weeks ago. I've needed to rinse off my knife a couple of times and every time I do that, some dye comes off the handle. It stains the paper towel or rag I use to dry it off.

Is this going to continue for a while longer? I saw some posts saying the dye doesn't come off their FRN scales, but it's definitely still coming off my knife. Slightly worried about the knife staining whatever it comes into contact with when it's wet for however long.

All dyes wear/wash off to some degree, especially if it is new and if it hasn't had time to completely set.

Not sure if this is the problem w/your Salt 2 but, if the Salt2 scales are FRN (fiberglass reinforced nylon), I doubt that it would hold the dye was well as G10 to begin with; G10 being a fiberglass/cloth hybrid which can absorb dyes better than the hard plastic nature of FRN.

Better to spray paint FRN than dye it IMO but even paint would probably wear/flake off FRN eventually. No perfect solution regardless.

Yah, I thought the rit dye method was a G10 thing. FRN is made to be impervious to most chemicals.

Hmm thanks. I saw some comments saying that the RIT dye works really well with the FRN scales. Oh well. Hope the bleeding eventually stops.

A587A2F9-625F-465C-8171-402C67AFBB5D.jpeg How long has it been since you dyed it? I dyed two of my Salts with RIT. One has been two weeks the other last week. Neither show any sign of color coming off the FRN. It looks pretty well part of it. Did you add vinegar and heat the dye solution?

I have been carry the Pacific Salt every day and it’s been in and out of my pocket, doing food prep, cutting cardboard and plastic, some rope, etc.

View attachment 1197616 How long has it been since you dyed it? I dyed two of my Salts with RIT. One has been two weeks the other last week. Neither show any sign of color coming off the FRN. It looks pretty well part of it. Did you add vinegar and heat the dye solution?

I have been carry the Pacific Salt every day and it’s been in and out of my pocket, doing food prep, cutting cardboard and plastic, some rope, etc.

Yeah, I added vinegar and boiled the mixture before dipping the salt. I didn't put the knife into the boiling pan, though. I poured it into a mason jar and just dipped the knife in there. For about an hour the first time and about 30 minutes the second time to even the color out and to cover up the exposed yellow when I took off the clip.

With plastics and whatnot I've found that maintaining the heat is critical. I have an old microwave in my garage for dying G-10 and FRN. I take knives completely apart and wash them thoroughly. Dawn, alcohol and dawn again. Then boil until I get the color/darkness I want.

Then I boil in one part vinegar to three parts water with a tablespoon of salt per cup. Rinse and soak with fresh water.

The salt comes from an old customer spec for dying delrin. I've never turned my hand any colors so I'll keep doing it.

Yes keep the heat. I used a one quart stainless pot. Heated to simmer, turn off flame, dye for total of about 50 minutes, with a reheat about half way through. Afterwards I rinse in tap water, paper towel dry and let air dry for a couple of hours. I followed the directions on the RIT bottle for nylon and other synthetics.

How did you prep the knife? Did you disassemble and clean it? What did you clean the scales with? Dish soap?

How did you prep the knife? Did you disassemble and clean it? What did you clean the scales with? Dish soap?

For prepping all I did was remove the pocket clip, wash with dish detergent, and rinse under tap water. They we only a couple of days out of the box so there was no ground in motor oil or anything on them.

I dyed my knife a couple of days after getting it. Thought that would give me the best results. Scrubbed it the best I could with either dish or hand soap before doing the dip. No, didn’t disassemble it or anything like that.

I ran the knife under water again last night and it seems to be bleeding much less now. Let’s see if it goes away completely sometime soon. Maybe that was just a blob of dye stuck somewhere and finally dissipating.

Rit Dye on FRN handles will fade in my experience especially when exposed to extended time in the water. Swimming pools, lakes etc. I typically dye my Dragonfly Salt scales black and let them fade. Sun exposure seems to accelerate the process as well seeing that the but of the knife that sticks out of my pocket when clipped fades faster than the rest of the scales. Black fades to a British racing green color fairly quickly on my knife.

I dyed my Salt 2 with Tangerine Orange RIT dye that came in the bottle a couple of weeks ago. I've needed to rinse off my knife a couple of times and every time I do that, some dye comes off the handle. It stains the paper towel or rag I use to dry it off.

Is this going to continue for a while longer? I saw some posts saying the dye doesn't come off their FRN scales, but it's definitely still coming off my knife. Slightly worried about the knife staining whatever it comes into contact with when it's wet for however long.

I've dyed several FRNs. Did you rinse and use a toothbrush afterwards to get the excess dye off? Might be your problem.

It will wear off with heavy scuffs or lots of use, but if you rinsed and used a toothbrush it should be gtg. Probably just excess drops of dried dye. You see bare spots when its happening? If thats the case maybe you didn't clean the surface well. I used alcohol and a toothbrush before I ever started.

Back