rivets for strength?

Hello. I am sure this was asked before, but I cannot find the answer yet.
On a custom Buck 110 with elk handle, do the rivets add strength, or is it only visual?
I live in the Caribbean, so always hot weather and humid.
I do not ask this for the looks, only for the function.

Welcome to the forum. I believe the rivets would add strength as a mechanical fastener to retain the scales however I think the scales are also glued so it may be an added strength that isn’t really needed. Personally I’ve always thought that rivets in natural materials such as bone, horn, etc., could increase the possibility of cracking at the rivet but I can’t back that up with any facts.

I agree with badhammer on all points made. Also any natural materials will have variations where one piece would be more susceptible to cracking than another piece but I am sure each piece is considered when it’s made and necessary steps taken to prevent cracks. With that said, today’s adhesives are much stronger and resilient than previous types of adhesive so I’m sure they are plenty strong enough without rivets. I have both and neither have had any issues. I’d say which ever is more to your liking is the way to go.

Welcome Jerome, to the Buck forum. Buck uses good adhesive with spider legs and lizard's tails. It won't come loose. Thus, the pins would be mostly for looks. Even in your salty air. DM

On riveted 110's, the rivits are all that hold the scale on. On no rivit 110's, it's epoxy that does that job.

My 110 Sambar stag from Petes custom shoppe has rivets and glue holding the stag slabs on.whatever epoxy Buck uses,it's good stuff that will last evn in different climates.Im over in Nova Scotia,next to the Atlantic Ocean ,and I've taken my stag alaskan guide 110 lobster fishing out on the boat on the Atlantic many many times and used it for lots of jobs,then washed and dried it ,still the stag hasn't lifted off frame one little bit.very surprised at how good they are put on.

Back